Couch to 5k on a bike..?

Hi all

Gyms have just reopened in England after several months and I thought I'd restart by doing couch to 5k, and stronglifts - previously was enjoying both these programmes.

My problem is that due to social distancing, only two (of 4) treadmills are open. This is normally fine, but if I get to the gym and it's busy, could I do the C25k intervals on a stationary bike/rower/cross trainer instead?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    It's a completely different kind of movement. While it adds to general cardiovascular fitness, it won't make you run better. Can you go outside and run there?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    could I do the C25k intervals on a stationary bike/rower/cross trainer instead?

Not really the same
    But you can use the bike or cross trainer to improve your cadiovascular fitness which will only help.

I'd probably use them as a contrast/addition using their differences rather than trying to make them into something they are not.
    e.g. a bike is far easier to modulate your sustainable intensity so some steady state would be a contrast and a compliment to the interval style of C25K.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    You need something like C25K for running because running is high impact which is hard on your joints and connective tissue. When you start running your body starts learning how to make your joints "stronger" to deal with it. If you run too much when you're getting started you can create stress on your knees, hips, etc, faster than your body can deal with it. What C25K is really about is getting you started slowly enough to deal with this.

Bikes don't have that problem. They can be high intensity but they're not high impact unless you crash. (MYB can be an exception.) You can ride a marathon every day. Stress fractures? What's that? 😁
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    You need something like C25K for running because running is high impact which is hard on your joints and connective tissue. When you start running your body starts learning how to make your joints "stronger" to deal with it. If you run too much when you're getting started you can create stress on your knees, hips, etc, faster than your body can deal with it. What C25K is really about is getting you started slowly enough to deal with this.

Bikes don't have that problem. They can be high intensity but they're not high impact unless you crash. (MYB can be an exception.) You can ride a marathon every day. Stress fractures? What's that? 😁

Pretty much all of this...

I can also verify that the high impact of a crash also sucks, especially when you jack up both of your rotator cuffs

But really on a bike, the only thing holding you back from riding all day is your overall aerobic/endurance capacity...and possibly the pain in your *kitten*, but that resolves itself with a little time in the saddle.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Cycling is great cross training for running and will help improve your overall fitness level but it's not a substitute for running for many of the reasons stated above.