Best app/watch combo

Which is the best option to go for that gives the most accurate syncing
Will buy a watch to make it easier but want one to seamlessly do it all for me 😂

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    It's all estimates; pick the one that has the features you want, and collects interesting stats for the activities you actually do.

If you get an Apple watch, best odds of success reported if you synch it through the Pacer app rather than directly (but what do I know, I'm a Garmin gal).

That NorthCascades guy sounds a little cynical, but IMO, he's not wrong. To his cynicism, I'd add that Garmin has more models that look suitable for Seal Team 6, whereas Fitbit has more models that look more like supermodel workout jewelry, though there are exceptions in both lines.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    And what gives the best calories? All do and none do. For some it works and for others it doesn’t. We can’t tell you which algorithm works best for you unfortunately
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Debating between a galaxy active 2 and garmin vivoactive 4 myself. Leaning more toward the active just because if im honest with myself, I'm never going to be a runner and strava will pretty much do whatever the Garmin or active will do for mountain biking. So a smart watch I can use to play music and give me a decently accurate step count/hr will be good enough for my needs. I'll go back and forth for awhile before I really decide.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    My Garmin (Vivoactive 4S) works brilliantly. I sync it to Strava and MFP via the Garmin Connect app. In the 15 months I've had the watch, I've only had syncing issues once - yesterday - and once my phone sorted itself out, it worked fine. I used to have a Fitbit and found it really flaky.

@mca90guitar it's interesting what you say about Garmin Connect vs Strava - I sometimes find it very difficult to pull the information I want out of Strava, so I like having the different reports available in Garmin; I can see my pace improving for example and I can't for the life of me find reports like that in Strava. Some stuff is definitely better in Strava - segments and it's easier to compare two activities from the snapshot in the feed.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Debating between a galaxy active 2 and garmin vivoactive 4 myself. Leaning more toward the active just because if im honest with myself, I'm never going to be a runner and strava will pretty much do whatever the Garmin or active will do for mountain biking. So a smart watch I can use to play music and give me a decently accurate step count/hr will be good enough for my needs. I'll go back and forth for awhile before I really decide.

Garmins are useful beyond running and bikes are one of their core strengths. Personally I find the data I get out of my watch and from Connect is useful enough that I have no use for Strava. I don't know whether the VA can do music without your phone or not, it can act as a remote control for the music on the phone though which is still pretty handy. (I'm a road and gravel cyclist.)
  • LtHammerhead
    LtHammerhead Posts: 33 Member
    For what? I’ve been dabbling in triathlons and bought a Coros Apex. Works great.
    If you just want to count steps it’s overkill.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    Garmin.