How do you do it on 1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• Db276952
    Db276952 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My goal in deficit is 1270. I'm petite, looking to cut some fat. I work out about 4 times a week. What works for me is eating at least 100g of protein a day. It keeps me full. Lots of lean meats. I do coffee in the morning and then eat a late Breakfast. I usually do 4 meals at about 300 cals each. Keeps me full. Volume wise, I may eat more than most people but I load up veggies and lean protein.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Actualyl, feeling hungry a little is very nice feeling . Think positively, you look good, your stomach is inside sucked in, your clothes fits perfect, you are feeling light and can move. Imaging yourself going to gym with full stomach you probably won't be able even to bend. But gym requiers bending, jumping, streaching. Many people prefer to go for physical acivity with empty stomach. Project the identical nice feeling to the, rest of the day. It will take you only few days to start enjoing the emptiness of the stomach. If you going to run, the best thing is have your stomach empty too. One more notice for your quistion: the running is a sort of exercise that prompts your apetite high. From other hand, strength exercises work oposite way.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Actualyl, feeling hungry a little is very nice feeling . Think positively, you look good, your stomach is inside sucked in, your clothes fits perfect, you are feeling light and can move. Imaging yourself going to gym with full stomach you probably won't be able even to bend. But gym requiers bending, jumping, streaching. Many people prefer to go for physical acivity with empty stomach. Project the identical nice feeling to the, rest of the day. It will take you only few days to start enjoing the emptiness of the stomach. If you going to run, the best thing is have your stomach empty too. One more notice for your quistion: the running is a sort of exercise that prompts your apetite high. From other hand, strength exercises work oposite way.

Active people are going to be more than "a little" hungry on 1,200 calories.

This.

My activity's always been pretty decent. As I've lost weight it's increased. I don't mind my stomach growling or feeling hollow. I do, however, GREATLY mind being light headed, having headaches, seeing my sports and running performance decline sharpl, feeling weak, and feeling like my limbs are made out of lead I have to lug around making daily chores HARD. (Meaning i, of course, then burned fewer calories because 'walked upstairs and did the dishes' was hard and really just let me sit on the couch)

It was like I'd JUST finished a HARD workout for about 3 days in a row.

You're gonna feel a little hungry sometimes eating in a deficit.

When you start UNDEReating you're going to get a lot more than a 'little' hungry.

And that stuff up there? That's 3 days of about 1500 calories. My 'half pound a week' deficit is about 1600 so at lightly active and would have been fine. IF I HAD EATEN MY EXERCISE CALORIES OR BUMPED MY ACTIVITY LEVEL.

But I did not.

And it was not 'a little hungry'.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Re above, immediately though:

This would not have been a massive concern when I was obese or the high end of overweight. I could regularly under eat and not feel terrible. Both because I was less active and, I assume, there was more of alternative sources for fuel (Ie: More body fat). Not sure about the second, positive about the first.

A pound/2 pounds from normal BMI? Different result.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

This.

My activity's always been pretty decent. As I've lost weight it's increased. I don't mind my stomach growling or feeling hollow. I do, however, GREATLY mind being light headed, having headaches, seeing my sports and running performance decline sharpl, feeling weak, and feeling like my limbs are made out of lead I have to lug around making daily chores HARD. (Meaning i, of course, then burned fewer calories because 'walked upstairs and did the dishes' was hard and really just let me sit on the couch)

When you start UNDEReating you're going to get a lot more than a 'little' hungry.

And that stuff up there? That's 3 days of about 1500 calories. My 'half pound a week' deficit is about 1600 so at lightly active and would have been fine. IF I HAD EATEN MY EXERCISE CALORIES OR BUMPED MY ACTIVITY LEVEL.

But I did not.

I had the light headedness trying to do 1200 calories as an active person years ago, back before I learned better. I didn't stick with it long (probably a couple of weeks, if that) because then the dizzy spells started and it scared me, plus I was tired of being hungry and cranky.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This.

But I did not.

Yep, there's hungry like the nice feeling of feeling ready for your next meal (and many of us who were overweight have to learn how to recognize that as a "nice" feeling and that's a worthwhile goal). And then there is the hunger of chronic undereating, where you feel the cascade of physical and mental effects of not eating enough to fuel your activity. HUGE difference between the two.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question, it ain't easy. :( Some days I do fine but some days I stop counting at around 1500. Like yesterday. I had planned for it to be a Ben and Jerry's day but what I didn't plan on were the pretzel rods with peanut butter and all the extra little spoonfuls of this and that. *However* I didn't get into the gobbling down cookies and bread/butter which I get to when I'm having a really weak day. :/

The easiest way for me to stay at 1200 is to plump up my lunch/dinner with veggies and fruit. I also try to save 100-200 calories for the very end of the day when I NEED something to eat. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    monrl wrote: »
    Mine is set at 1240.... I’ve been losing 1.5-2 pounds a week for 8 weeks now eating like this and I am 5’2”

Be aware that too aggressive a weight loss rate can be detrimental to your health. You may well feel fine, until suddenly you're not. Unless you have a lot of weight to lose, losing 2 lb a week is too aggressive.

Two things I used to see regularly in these forums:
    1. don't aim to lose more than 1% of your body weight per week.
    2. a chart that showed how much might be reasonable, per week, based on how much you had to lose. I think the last 20lbs was 0.5lb a week, 20-40lbs was 1lb a week and 40-100lbs was 1.5lbs a week. 2lbs a week was only OK if you have over 100 lbs to lose.
    Hopefully someone will have a better idea on the recommended figures, but the rationale behind this is the impact on your muscles, including your heart.

The chart:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Couple additional thoughts here- I don't personally buy into the "eat back exercise calories". The point of working out is to help create more of a deficit like what's the point? ***UNLESS**** you're trying to bulk up and build muscle which is also what everyone is obsessed over these days. I want some lean healthy muscle- but I don't want to look like an athlete. That's just me thought. But I tried that whole approach and not only did I never go down in fat, all I did was build muscle underneath the fat not being burned and was even bigger.

Do you ever workout using Fitness Blender??? You really don't need a gym tbh. FB is free. You may just be getting used to the running. It's important to mix it up and work different areas, strength and cardio.

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Not really. When you set your baseline, and say you are active you are already rated for a lot of exercise calories. Eating them back is double dipping and throws off your plan.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Just sharing what I do: At the start, I had manually set my calories at 1800, my carbs at 30% and protein/fat at 35%. My goal at that point was to give myself time to adjust to tracking realistically my food intake as I committed to eating healthier--- no processed foods, white carbs (except for veg), or added/hidden sugars. It was very important for me not to be hungry during this time, or I knew I would most likely fail--again. I increased my fiber, protein and water. Exercise is negligible.After noticing that i could lose weight following that plan, and that my calories were averaging around 1500 per day, I re- set my goal to 1500, allowing a high on no more than 3 days per week of 1800 cal. I am 60, limited mobility, other issues, post-menopausal, and 5'-5" on a good day! I weighed 181+ on Feb 22, and started MFP Mar 1. Today I weighed 171 after gaining weight last week. The difference last week? I stayed within my calorie range, but ate processed foods-like McD- and had white bread for several meals. I also struggled with sleep and getting enough protein, and I stopped drinking water as often as I needed. Getting back on track and looking forward to seeing how the scale and tape react.

My reasoning for allowing myself a range for my caloric intake: my thought is that caloric confusion, like muscle confusion, might be helpful for me physically as I try to lose weight. My second reason: If I am allowed a range, then on the days I feel I need 'more', I am still following my plan. Mentally, in the past, I have been my hardest critic and self-talk has played 'failure' tapes. Small 'trick' to set myself up where it is easy to succeed, rather than quit.

Keep going forward! Best wishes:-)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    When you set your goals, the workouts and exercise is a factor. And, if your body knows the difference between activity and exercise that is big news.
  • dragon_girl26
    edited April 2021
    Options
    When you set your goals, the workouts and exercise is a factor. And, if your body knows the difference between activity and exercise that is big news.

MFP does ask about how many workouts you plan to do, true, but it doesn't affect your calorie goal in any way. I don't know why it's even a question since it doesn't do anything.
    If you don't believe me, change your answer on the exercise question and you'll see what I mean.
    But otherwise, no, exercise is not meant to be a factor in MFP's version of "activity", though I suppose if you want to think of it that way, that's your call.

This is the main difference between MFP calculations and a regular TDEE calculator, though.
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    Also, the link Kshama posted from MFP actually says all of that. It's worth a read.