Replies

• Adam9878
    Adam9878 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone 🙂
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,541 Member
    Options
    Hi Adam. If that’s a picture of you, maybe you should be giving advice. 😂 (said in a friendly, non creepy, old enough to be your momma kinda way.)

How can we help you? What are you hoping to get out of MPF?
  • Adam9878
    Options
    Haha. 🤣Thanks. I usually swim everyday but haven’t been for so long now and need to try and tone up a bit. So got this app to make me move more 🤞🏻🤞🏻👍🏻
  • springlering62
    Options
    Have you thought about a fitness tracker? I have Apple Watch. So many notifications can be a PITA to some, but I do appreciate the “stand” reminders and the reminders that my rings aren’t as far along as normal.
  • Adam9878
    Options
    I am actually thinking of a Fitbit or Apple Watch. It might make me move more?
    Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it 👍🏻
  • springlering62
    Options
    I’m not sure about FitBit. Haven’t even seen one up close.

I got my Apple Watcj about the same time I joined MFP. Others here complain it doesn’t sync with MFP, but I’ve had no problems whatsoever. I feel like it reports my calories pretty accurately for power walking, walking, Pilates and yoga. I don’t bother to count calories for weight training because it’s so stop and go.

When I first started, I was OCD and counted my steps to make the walks go faster, and would often compare my count to the step
    count watch picked up and it was close, so I feel like the step count is pretty accurate. For me, roughly 10,000 steps to five miles.

It reminds me to stand up once every hour for the first twelve hours of the day, reminds me if I’m not moving as much as usual or as early in the day as is my habit, and it comes up with things to challenge me, ie add more exercise minutes or walk more steps. The apple challenges are also very motivating.

On the con side, Apple Watch is relentless- this month it wants some insane number of hours of exercise to beat last month. (I usually log 3-4 hours walking and mat classes per day). And if you get involved in challenges, that can be a whole nother can of worms. I was bawling when I had a perfect 30 day Challenge score for 28 days and then got sick from my second vaccination and couldn’t finish it. And then there was the pressure to keep my “closing rings” streak going when I barely felt like moving.

It can be motivating, too motivating, and frustrating all rolled into one. But if you respond to that kind of thing.......

It’s a lot like my daughter’s Tomagatchis years ago. She had about twenty of them and was driving herself frantic to keep them all going, to the point it interfered with schoolwork and we had to step in. Oh, the horror.......