I don’t know how many calories to eat

hey guys ..I’m kinda confused . so to start off ,last year I lost 17 kg from march to July eating 1800 calories and burning 500 calories through walking all the way till June ..then I cut to 1600 cuz of a plateau ..I gained the weight back due to my laziness and demotivation..I want to start again but I’m eating 1700 calories and my weight is dropping really slowly . I’m doing everything right including burning 500 calories through walking ..i feel like my maintenance is underestimated and is not 2500. I weigh 88.4 kg right now . Any tips on what should I do?my goal is to just lose weight and be thin ..no muscle building and stuff

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member
    You don't say how old you are or how tall?

Are you going to work or school or taking care of kids or a house?

At your weight (depending on the answers) I am pretty sure that 1600 or 1700 is likely too few calories.

Enter your stats into the Goals.

Choose, "Lose 1 pound per week."

Set your own Activity Level based on the parameters it suggests. Eat that.

On days you exercise (purposeful exercise) enter that into the Exercise tab and eat those extra calories.

Do that for a month and see what happens.

Only after you have your own data collected over time can you really look at trends and decide what to tweak.

Don't expect fast weight loss, you'll crash.
  • sultank101
    sultank101 Posts: 87 Member
    You don't say how old you are or how tall?

Are you going to work or school or taking care of kids or a house?

At your weight (depending on the answers) I am pretty sure that 1600 or 1700 is likely too few calories.

Enter your stats into the Goals.

Choose, "Lose 1 pound per week."

Set your own Activity Level based on the parameters it suggests. Eat that.

On days you exercise (purposeful exercise) enter that into the Exercise tab and eat those extra calories.

Do that for a month and see what happens.

Only after you have your own data collected over time can you really look at trends and decide what to tweak.

Don't expect fast weight loss, you'll crash.

I’m 19 and 175 cm
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    How long have you been eating at 1700cals?
    What does "weight dropping slowly" mean in actual numbers?

How many miles do you walk to burn that many calories and how are you estmating that burn?
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Heeeere's the thing:

If you lose weight without working to maintain you lose muscle as well as fat - well this happens some anyway, but more when you don't try to maintain it..

Muscle, even inactive, is more metabolically active than fat. Meaning that even at rest it will burn calories. Which means if you don't try to maintain muscle with some weight/resistance stuff, your body composition will change. And your calorie needs will be lower of someone with the same size who has more muscle.

Also the reason you are losing slowly is probably partially this, partially the fact that the more weight you lose and closer to your goal you get the more slowly you lose, and overestimating calorie burn from walking. Unless you are really overweight, and/or are walking FIVE HOURS, you are not burning 500 calories through walking.
  • sultank101
    sijomial wrote: »

How many miles do you walk to burn that many calories and how are you estmating that burn?

I was eating at 1700 for a month and lost like only 3-4 kg ..I lost 9 last year in the first month

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    sultank101 wrote: »

I was eating at 1700 for a month and lost like only 3-4 kg ..I lost 9 last year in the first month

3-4 kg (6.6 - 8.8 pounds) per month is an excellent rate of loss.

Your 9 kg loss in a month last year surely included a lot of water weight. Perhaps you changed your eating habits more drastically last year than you did this year. I've never had the big water weight drop other people have but I've also never made very drastic changes to the way I eat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    How many miles do you walk to burn those 500 calories?
  • sultank101
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How many miles do you walk to burn those 500 calories?

Idk Miles but around 8-10 km
  • sultank101
    kshama2001 wrote: »

3-4 kg (6.6 - 8.8 pounds) per month is an excellent rate of loss.

Your 9 kg loss in a month last year surely included a lot of water weight. Perhaps you changed your eating habits more drastically last year than you did this year. I've never had the big water weight drop other people have but I've also never made very drastic changes to the way I eat.

Maybe I’m just too impatient ..But calorie wise should I start at like 2000 rather than 1700?as some ppl are saying it’s to low
  • sijomial
    edited April 2021

That is not "weight dropping slowly" !!!

That is weight dropping at the maximum rate of loss this site will let you select, for someone who doesn't have a lot to lose you really shouldn't be aiming any faster and slower weight loss may well be better, Suggest you adjust your expectations, this isn't a crash diet TV show.

You missed the question about walking calories by the way so I'll just let you know that would take more than a couple of hours a day to burn 500 net cals walking.

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited April 2021
    You can start anywhere you want but as you lose weight you're going to go from 1.5/2KG a week to 1KG to .5, to .25 or so. It's just kind of inevitable that the less you have to lose the slower it goes.

Best make peace with that now.

• sultank101

That is weight dropping at the maximum rate of loss this site will let you select, for someone who doesn't have a lot to lose you really shouldn't be aiming any faster and slower weight loss may well be better, Suggest you adjust your expectations, this isn't a crash diet TV show.

You missed the question about walking calories by the way so I'll just let you know that would take more than a couple of hours a day to burn 500 net cals walking.

I walk for an hour and thirty minutes ..it shows 500 calories on a website and the app..
  • sultank101
    You can start anywhere you want but as you lose weight you're going to go from 1.5/2KG a week to 1KG to .5, to .25 or so. It's just kind of inevitable that the less you have to lose the slower it goes.

Best make peace with that now.

So do I start with 2000 calories?
  • sijomial

I walk for an hour and thirty minutes ..it shows 500 calories on a website and the app..

Here's a better calculator. Chose the net calorie option, the app gives you gross calories which is a significant over-estimate as you are double counting the calories in that time period you woud have burned anyway.
    https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs