Can someone calculate how many calories I need to eat if I want to lose 1 kg a week?

I weigh 89.9 kg . 174 cm. I don’t workout at all..well I used to go for walks but stopped . I would like to know how many calories I need to consume to lose 1 kg a week ..I would like to lose 0.5 kg through diet and 0.5 through working out

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sultank101 wrote: »
    I weigh 89.9 kg . 174 cm. I don’t workout at all..well I used to go for walks but stopped . I would like to know how many calories I need to consume to lose 1 kg a week ..I would like to lose 0.5 kg through diet and 0.5 through working out

Do your goal set up and pick "lose 0.5kg a week" and then don't eat back the calories you are getting from your walks.
    After a few weeks of consistency you will be able to adjust based on your weight trend.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Using the Harris Benedict equation for calculating your metabolism. I will assume that you're female and I'll guess age 45. There are other equations you can use and you'll get slightly different numbers. The equation gives your body's minimum energy expenditure at 6,791 kJ if you were dozing all day. Using a multiplier of 1.2 you'll get 8,149 kJ. You want to lose 0.5 kg a week, that's 16,000 kJ a week or 2,285 kJ deficit each day. You want to eat 8,149-2285=5,864 KJ = 1,401 calories. Using Wolfram Alpha I get walking daily of 103 minutes at 5.0 km/hr or 38 minutes running at 8.5 km/hr. Here's what I used for the running at Wolfram Alpha: female, running, 89.9 kg, 174 cm, 8.5 km/hr
  • sultank101
    sultank101 Posts: 87 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

Do your goal set up and pick "lose 0.5kg a week" and then don't eat back the calories you are getting from your walks.
    After a few weeks of consistency you will be able to adjust based on your weight trend.

And what do I select for the activity level?if I’m going to start walking today

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,098 Member

Your MFP activity level is meant to reflect your activity level not including exercise. So basically your daily life: your job, household chores, etc. Which you haven't told us anything about, so no idea at this point :smile:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    Using the Harris Benedict equation for calculating your metabolism. I will assume that you're female and I'll guess age 45. There are other equations you can use and you'll get slightly different numbers. The equation gives your body's minimum energy expenditure at 6,791 kJ if you were dozing all day. Using a multiplier of 1.2 you'll get 8,149 kJ. You want to lose 0.5 kg a week, that's 16,000 kJ a week or 2,285 kJ deficit each day. You want to eat 8,149-2285=5,864 KJ = 1,401 calories. Using Wolfram Alpha I get walking daily of 103 minutes at 5.0 km/hr or 38 minutes running at 8.5 km/hr. Here's what I used for the running at Wolfram Alpha: female, running, 89.9 kg, 174 cm, 8.5 km/hr

Profile says male. Recalculate.
  • sultank101
    sultank101 Posts: 87 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

Your MFP activity level is meant to reflect your activity level not including exercise. So basically your daily life: your job, household chores, etc. Which you haven't told us anything about, so no idea at this point :smile:
    Lietchi wrote: »

I mainly stay at home so I’ll choose inactive then I guess?