Extra Calories

Options
I am just wondering if everyone eats their extra calories they've earned from working out or do they try to only consume the daily calories allowed and leave a larger deficit??

Replies

• xtinamarie22
    Options
    I dont eat back my exercise calories, i like to leave a larger deficit but a lot of ppl do... i guess it depends on the individual needs. :)
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    lol its abt to go down! Everyone here has a diff opinion on this. I personally never eat back the calories I've burned off...seems like a waste.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal myfitnesspal gives you is a "net calorie" goal, meaning food PLUS exercise. Therefore, if you eat that calorie amount, and then exercise and do not eat those exercise calories, you will be under your calorie goal. While many people aim for this in hopes of a more rapid weight loss, it actually leads to losing lean body mass instead of fat (and who wants that!), and can also lead to your weight loss hitting a standstill as your body goes into starvation mode.

So always eat your extra exercise calories :)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I eat them if I'm hungry, but not necessarily all of them.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    Most days I eat most of my exercise calories.
  • tabitha_carnes
    Options
    I try to leave the deficit from calories burned because I know that my food calories are usually estimates, and a lot of times I probably underestimate and am actually consuming more calories than I think. But, if I burn a LOT of calories one day (like a spin class where I burn like 500+) I will usually treat myself to a little extra something. :-)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    i'm just replying because that's what i do
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I eat them because they are needed for muscle recovery, and tissue growth. Not eating them will lead to all kinds of troubles; exhaustion, tissue degeneration, etc etc..
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    i'm just replying because that's what i do

I thought it was because you've got that boom boom pow?
  • tabitha_carnes
    Options
    I think your comment is true only if people are burning a seriously huge amount of calories each day and then not eating enough to fuel their bodies. If someone burns, say 500 extra calories one day, I don't think it'll hurt them to leave that extra calorie deficit, especially since a lot of times the calories consumed is an estimate which is often lower than the actual total calories.
    The calorie goal myfitnesspal gives you is a "net calorie" goal, meaning food PLUS exercise. Therefore, if you eat that calorie amount, and then exercise and do not eat those exercise calories, you will be under your calorie goal. While many people aim for this in hopes of a more rapid weight loss, it actually leads to losing lean body mass instead of fat (and who wants that!), and can also lead to your weight loss hitting a standstill as your body goes into starvation mode.

So always eat your extra exercise calories :)
  • jewel3575
    jewel3575 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    that's kinda how I feel too...
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I eat them because they are needed for muscle recovery, and tissue growth. Not eating them will lead to all kinds of troubles; exhaustion, tissue degeneration, etc etc..

I eat them because I LOVE FOOD. Exercising allows me to eat more food.

I love food. Food is good.
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I try to leave the deficit from calories burned because I know that my food calories are usually estimates, and a lot of times I probably underestimate and am actually consuming more calories than I think. But, if I burn a LOT of calories one day (like a spin class where I burn like 500+) I will usually treat myself to a little extra something. :-)

This is so true, just as the calories actually earned from the work out are over estimated sometimes depending on the workout...seems like a wash in many cases. But some days I will eat them back depends. Birthday parties for sure IF i wnat a slice of cake, that kind of thing, but generally I do not eat them back regardless of what deficift is already built in etc etc.....
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I only eat my 1200 calories and don't touch what I have burned in a workout. Have been doing this since May and am losting about 1 1/2 - 2 pounds a week. (Typically workout with a trainer 3 days a week for an hour 15, and one day alone for about an hour)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories and I'm losing about a pound a week. So, you just do what you think is best, and I'll keep my consistent and healthy results.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    why must i always click on these threads...*slaps forehead*

eat your exercise calories people, take it from someone who effed their metabolism by netting 800 calories a day...i've been fixing that for nearly a year!

and i also thought i was losing weight and was all happy and everything till i realized i was CONSUMING MY OWN MUSCLE because i was depriving my body of nutrients it needed...don't be fooled!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I eat them if I'm hungry, but not necessarily all of them.

This. And I always try to keep my net goal between "lose 1 pound per week" (1310 for me) and "lose 1/2 pound per week" (1530 for me). Even though I don't always eat all of my exercise calories, I try to stay between those numbers.
  • Brendon_J_U
    Brendon_J_U Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I am still fairly new here with MFP and was wondering the same thing. So far I have been sticking with the calories allocated and not using the amount "earned" from the workout.

Have a great night,
    Brendon
  • smokesone
    smokesone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Depends! How hungry I am!!!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I'm usually starving after I work out, I usually eat pb toast, boiled egg or pistachios. I just think about how my muscles are worked so hard that they deserve a little protein to help repair for the next days exertion. I don't eat if I'm not hungry though, but I will try to have a little snack after a work out.

You have to feed the body to work the body!