How do you do it on 1200 calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. Its overwhelming.
    I readjusted my goals to 0.5 lbs a week. I now have a whopping 1296 as a goal. That's the highest I can get no matter what I enter as a goal.
    I eat back some of my excercise as I don't trust the calorie count MFP gives me for that. Still feel hungry so often especially after a run or workout.
    Getting frustrated but your support is so appreciated
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    1200 really is too low for most people, unless it's very short term. People who do 1200 calorie diets generally tend to yo-yo because it's just not sustainable over the long term. Try upping it a bit, my view is that the absolute minimum for most people is 1400 and if you're on that you should be eating back some of your exercise calories too.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    MsOpus wrote: »
    I readjusted my goals to 0.5 lbs a week. I now have a whopping 1296 as a goal. That's the highest I can get no matter what I enter as a goal.
    I eat back some of my excercise as I don't trust the calorie count MFP gives me for that. Still feel hungry so often especially after a run or workout.

I don't know if it has been mentioned already, but have you tried eating fewer meals during the day? Personally what works for me is eating one main meal a day and one or two snacks spread out the rest of the day. So just now (9a.m) i had my main meal. Spaghetti with meatballs ,broccoli and yoghurt. It's going to keep me full until 1-2pm.At that point i will be hungry but still somewhat satiated. i'm going to have a small snack then and again at 17.00 and that will be the end of my eating day. You could try experimenting with a similar method and see if it works for you.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    MsOpus wrote: »

First, congrats on deciding to set a slower loss as your goal. Fast is not always the best way to do things. And Jenypapage has a great idea with limiting the number of times you eat. I personally do a heavy late breakfast, then a late lunch/early supper, and a snack if I want it, ending several hours before bed. Speaking of 'bed'-if you are not getting enough sleep, you may find that your body thinks it is hungry when it is really just kind of bored.

Suggestions:

1) Pre-plan your foods to have high protein forms that you have to chew (tuna, chia seeds are easy) and high good fats (avocado is one of my personal favorites and I drink a shot of Flaxseed oil every morning). See if by having a higher percentage of your calories fall into these groups you are better satisfied and not as hungry. Even if the volume is not as great, the nutritional increase is a huge help for me.

2) To fill out your caloric intake for the day, try eating lower calorie vegetables- lettuces, celery, green beans, kale, crookneck squash, zucchini, etc. There are lots of low cal veg that you can eat a huge amount of with very little calories to bulk up your amount of food. BTW:I set my macros as percentages- 30% carb, 35% fat, 35% protein.

3) Take a multi vitamin in the morning. I believe in getting our nutrients from food, but sometimes it is difficult to get some levels right.When we do not get enough nutrients, our body tries to get them by eating more.

4) Eat more slowly, concentrating on each bite.

5) Drink 6-8 oz of water with lemon or ACV at preddetermined times of day to evenly space out a total of 3-4L so that you stop two hours before bedtime.

6) Nibble on psyllium husk 1TBSP during the day to increase your fiber, if following all of the above is not enough to help your satiation level. FYI: the water mentioned above will be really important to remember!

Try this for a few days and see if you can tell a difference! FYI- if this is a significant increase in your water intake, you may find yourself needing toilet break often. These will become fewer and further apart as your body gets rehydrated sufficiently:-).

Please keep us posted.