Ketosis>500 Calorie Diet! Only Supporters!

Options

Replies

• PlumeriaTattoo
    PlumeriaTattoo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did the 500 calorie HCG diet. Twice. I lost 30 lbs each time, and gained it all back when I tried to add carbs back into my diet. I lost a LOT of hair. I lost a LOT of muscle. My skin looked bad. My metabolism slowed to a crawl. And now I feel like crap because I gained all that weight back like it was nothing. I gained it all back within 6-7 months each time..Oh...it stayed off for a while. I thought I'd discovered the magic diet. Meanwhile, pounds started creeping back on, and they wouldn't stop. I just tried to eat normal, mostly whole foods.

I am struggling now to gain back strength and lose the weight that came on me so easily after a very low calorie diet. I learned my lesson, but everyone is different and we all have to learn our own ways what will work or not work for us. But there is no way I'd do a super-low calorie diet ever again. Even if the weight stayed off, the other side effects make it just not worth it for me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Dutchess, it appears to me that by 'positive' you mean 'people who agree with me and don't challenge my beliefs', while 'negative' means 'people who disagree with me'.... I'm not sure I'd describe that frame of mind 'positive', to be honest.

And incidentally, thank you for referring to me by my proper title. It's kind of you, but I tend to keep things a bit more informal in social contexts.

Kiesha, perhaps I can help with an example of post crazy weightloss programme experience? I've lost a fair bit of weight, using healthy eating and exercise. My brother, sadly, decided to follow the 500 cal route. He lost a huge amount of weight, made himself very ill, appears to have damaged his pituatry gland in the process, and is now heavier than he's ever been in his life. But hey, each to their own, eh?
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    First off - Alot of people give Drs too much credit when it comes to nutrition. In case most of you know, what a Dr. learns about nutrition is about a weeks worth out of the 7 years they're in school. Bottom line, they know about as much as the average joe that does a bit of reading on the subject. Not too mention the kickbacks they get from some of these places.

Anyhow, listen to your Dr. as if he's god and you should be alright. :huh: For me, I would NEVER listen to my Dr for nutrition advice as I probably know more than he does.

I have a hard time trusting physicians because my experience has told me that I need to be proactive in my own care (and my families). Honestly, the last time I talked to my dr about my diet/exercise she wanted to prescribe me something to "help"...Uh, no thank you, I don't want diet crack! I'm in the healthy BMI range, I just wanted her feedback on what I should be doing differently/better, so that didn't work out too well for me.

I don't get how eating 500 calories a day is going to help you have a healthy relationship with food, nor do I understand how you can work out with only eating 500 calories a day.
  • dutchess48
    Options
    So how do people transition to normal eating after they've lost the desired amount of weight w/o regaining? My concern would be if my body is used to 500 cals then when I started eating for maintenance it would go haywire.

I'd REALLY love to see replies from people who've successfully done this and actually kept the weight off long term.

I'll wait...

First let me say once again thank you to all the self-appointed DR's on this site for your negativity . Were not asking for anyone's approval as I am the only one who will have to take this weight off. I'm sure you feel that your smarter then my doctor (by the way to the above poster who knows nothing about my situation or my doctors education) but I find it insulting to call my doctors character and qualifications into question. This started as a thread for support and quickly turned into a "I know what's better for you" thread. Well guess what you DON'T! Your all on this site because right now or at one time you were over weight and you needed help so please don't play the authority here on something you clearly struggle with as well. STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE! I'm a very positive person and I love the idea of this site because people who don't get supported in their everyday life can feel supported here. However, it's seems that some of you just don't get it. Your more interested in getting your point across (that may be right for you but isn't for me) that you don't see that your being a bully. I don't need people to lecture me and put me down for trying to better myself.

I'm confused. When did I call anybody's character or qualifications into question? I asked those questions because I truly want to know the answers. Why so defensive if you're so sure of what you're doing?

How does one keep the weight off when they get off of the 500 calorie diet? You're still on the diet but I want to know what happens when you start eating 1200 cals or more a day? I really want to hear from people who've done it successfully.

I was not just referring to you, but all of the people who seem to miss the point that this thread is for support. I kept the weight off after going back to my normal eating habits. My only regret is that i didn't last longer. It truly changed my body in a good way.
  • dutchess48
    Options
    Dutchess, it appears to me that by 'positive' you mean 'people who agree with me and don't challenge my beliefs', while 'negative' means 'people who disagree with me'.... I'm not sure I'd describe that frame of mind 'positive', to be honest.

And incidentally, thank you for referring to me by my proper title. It's kind of you, but I tend to keep things a bit more informal in social contexts.

Kiesha, perhaps I can help with an example of post crazy weightloss programme experience? I've lost a bit more than 40lbs, using healthy eating and exercise. My brother, sadly, decided to follow the 500 cal route. He lost a huge amount of weight, made himself very ill, appears to have damaged his pituatry gland in the process, and is now heavier than he's ever been in his life. But hey, each to their own, eh?

I'm sincerely sorry that your brother had so much trouble and I hope that he is well now. However, For you to assume you know what kind of person I am negative or positive is rude. Don't assume to know my frame of mind because you don't even know me! Like I said before and will keep repeating until you get the point, this thread is for support. if your not here to support then why are you here to cause trouble, to bash those trying something new. We all get your point, along with the other people against the diet. Now get our point we'll support each other with or without your approval (which you seem to think we need) so thanks for your input.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    However, For you to assume you know what kind of person I am negative or positive is rude. Don't assume to know my frame of mind because you don't even know me! Like I said before and will keep repeating until you get the point, this thread is for support. if your not here to support then why are you here to cause trouble, to bash those trying something new. We all get your point, along with the other people against the diet. Now get our point we'll support each other with or without your approval (which you seem to think we need) so thanks for your input.

You may wish to reflect a moment on your comments about judging others' positivity, since my comment was merely a response to your own. I respectfully submit you don't know *me* or anyone else on this thread, but I seem to recall that just minutes ago you were ranting on about how negative we all are, because we don't agree with your point of view.... Are you suggesting it's ok when you do it, but not so much when someone returns the favour?

On the question of 'support'... well, I see support perhaps slightly different from you. I don't think it's supportive to stand by smiling while someone hurts themself.
  • dmcgoon
    dmcgoon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know a couple of people at work that did this...never cheated and lost tons of weight and loved it. Others Cheated or had the lap band and were unsatisfied. Good Luck to you.
  • lilsunshinecc
    lilsunshinecc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Guess some don't understand.....was seeking supporters and inquiring minds with this post! Got more negatively on this post sadly..... BUT Im happy ALL the supporters inbox'd me, added me, and send encouraging words as they too are on same diet with wonderful success stories ;)

"to each....his or her own.."

Thanks all for the support here, inbox etc ;)

And you bashers, in a year or whenever make sure u bash my success story! <motivated>
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    Hey now guys, you know what they say about fighting with people on the internet.

In any case I think OP is handling things the right way. Yeah, it's an extreme diet, but but she's not doing it without the support of her Dr. Getting a medical professional's opinion is all anyone could ask, otherwise what business is it of anyone's how a person chooses to lose weight? It's not affecting anyone but that person, and as there are plenty of people on the forums here who have done the same thing she came to the right place for support as well.

As for the people asking for proof of people who have successfully kept weight off after ketosis diet, you can read this medical article here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf An obese man FASTED (water only) for over a year under a Drs care, had no long-term health effects and has KEPT IT OFF within 10 pounds of his end weight. Most people who lose weight will gain it back regardless of how it was lost, that's a fact. So only naming those who gained after a low calorie diet is leaving out that important fact.

I can give a personal example of success with my own mother. She is the same height as me (5'1''), and weighed nearly 200 pounds. I tried to help her diet for years, but she would eat healthy for months, then snap and gain it all back. About 2 years ago she went on a very low calorie diet (without Drs recommendation- not recommended) but, surprise surprise, she lost all she wanted fast and has kept it off since with no trouble.

Not everyone is suited for a ketosis diet, and anyone attempting such MUST see a doctor and ensure all nutrient needs can be met, but there are many success stories there too, and bashing it because it isn't how you do it just isn't right...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    And you bashers, in a year or whenever make sure u bash my success story! <motivated>

Right.. I read your profile and with all the exercise you're doing and how little you're eating, I foresee some major complications.

I really hope you come to your senses shortly.. because this is not something that you can maintain long term.
  • dmcgoon
    Options
    How did this/is this working for you?
    I started today and I am a little nervous.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    You're right to be nervous.
  • dmcgoon
    Options
    Dutchess,

You are so right, people need to give up on hating. This diet works, doctors recommend it and yes you will put weight back on but only if you are someone who decides to eat a bag of candy bars and think that going to the gym for an hour will solve it. I just started this diet and I am fighting cravings but I will love myself when I decide that I have lost enough.
  • dmcgoon
    Options
    I have close friends that have had weight loss surgery and they can now run and eat healthy and love their new bodies. Stop taking just the bad stories to help your opinion that no one that is under the supporters only disclaimer care to hear. I like the pack of sheep that only go ...oh no this is horrible and know nothing of the individuals doing it. Remember when you were five and your mother said "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all," yeah that would be good for several of you to implement. '
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Ah yes. Not wanting you to make yourself incredibly ill... Not wanting you to work really hard to lose weight you're almost certainly doomed to gain back, because you're following an unhealthy, unsustainable and damaging weightloss programme.

Yes. that's 'hate'. Obviously.

As I pointed out earlier, I have a family member who has WRECKED their body practising this kind of stupid diet. I have another friend who is sticking to it, while her hair falls out and her skin flakes 'cause it works'.

But obviously my motivation in suggesting you not follow that path is because I 'hate' you.

Seriously, people. Let's try the application of the grey matter.
  • dmcgoon
    Options
    you do 3 weeks of eating the same things at higher calories and then after that you slowly introduce dairy,starch and sugar...with the disclaimer that if you don't eat healthy balanced meals and work out you will gain weigt back. I haven't completed it yet but I know of 10 people that have and have gained no more than 5 lbs back.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    t I know of 10 people that have and have gained no more than 5 lbs back.

How long have they maintained?
  • dmcgoon
    Options
    But it isn't unhealthy. Dr.'s recommend and ensure other measures are emplaced to get the patient vitamins and nutrients needed to include no more than 40 days on the diet at a time. I am under the care of not just a Dr. but also a nutritionist. Do they think this is for me...no, Does anyone think that I am fat enough for this diet...no. But they are supporting and helping me until I get to what is considered a healthy weight AND BMI for me. I know of at least 10 people that have done this successfully I sat back and watched. If you have a family member who was hurt ...sorry. But there are people out there that believe that anyone who diets or restricts calories AT ALL has an eating disorder. Get over yourself and remember no one asked you to save us from anything especially from a horrible diet that we are starving ourselves with.. Oh by the way the HCG hormone stops your body from going into starvation mode and now what is being sold over the counter is natural things that helps your body produce HCG VS. giving you a direct dosage. You build back Calories and basically eat like a vegan (fruit and veggie wise) But yes you do eat meat unlike a vegan. If you have a friend or relative who is sick...consider that it is anorexia and not a diet plan. I'm not saying that you hate me. I am saying that this post said that she only needed supporters. If you are against it fine...but I really don't think that we are your concern I think that you want to be an advocate to us because you can't get to your friend. I am sorry that you are having a hard time, but consider the outside looking in isn't always the best view, sometimes you have to know why the person and or their doctor has taken this route. Add me as a friend keep track of me and I will show you that I will do this successfully and keep the weight off and never suffer...other than not being able to give into my cravings at all.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I just want to send you a little note to wish you luck. Many people will probably read this and want to spout their negative opinions, however it sounds like you know what you are doing and are taking the steps to do what is best for you. For the majority of people this is not a healthy long term diet, however as you have stated for many people a physician will recommend just this type of diet on a short term basis depending on other health circumstances.

I am currently completing my practicum placement at a surgical weight loss center at a local hospital. I am not certain if you are pre-bariatric surgery (you had mentioned a bariatric dietitian), however for many of the patients who start the program here, they do go on a short-term calorie restrictive diet so that they can lose a portion of their weight pre-surgery. This reduces the chances of complications during and after surgery, and improves the overall outcomes after surgery.

If what you are doing is supported by and under the direction of a physician, then simply ignore any negative comments from the "expert wannabes" that you will find on this site :)

So, you're a junior who works for an organisation that pushes these unhealthy procedures for profit? Cool! Yes, you're right, that qualifies you far more than the 'wannabes'. ...

WOW....................Way to be supportive. :explode: :mad:
  • dmcgoon
    Options
    Some a few months, some over a year.
This discussion has been closed.