Calories added after weight loss

Options
jmtuttle854
jmtuttle854 Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2021 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all, I just recorded a 2lb weight loss and the app added hundreds of calories to my daily allowance. From 1300 and change to 1900 and change! Is this an error? Thank you!

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you probably did something wrong. What exact steps did you do to record your loss?
  • jmtuttle854
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I went into goals and changed my “Current Weight”.
    It sounds like you probably did something wrong. What exact steps did you do to record your loss?

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Have you checked that you didn't change anything else while you were there, like setting it to maintain, rather than lose?

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,141 Member
    Options

Have you checked that you didn't change anything else while you were there, like setting it to maintain, rather than lose?

Sometimes MFP 'spontaneously' changes elements in your goal setup as well. Happened to me a few times: I changed one element myself and after saving that, other settings were suddenly different as well. So definitely check those settings.

PS: were you intending to update your goal settings? Or just update your weight (regular weigh-ins)? For weigh-ins, don't change your current weight in the goal settings, enter your weight under Progress (in the app) or My Home > Check-in on the website.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,141 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

PS: were you intending to update your goal settings? Or just update your weight (regular weigh-ins)? For weigh-ins, don't change your current weight in the goal settings, enter your weight under Progress (in the app) or My Home > Check-in on the website.

PPS: it is good to go through your settings every 5 lbs loss or so (change them and then change them back to what you want) to recalculate your calorie goal: MFP doesn't always adapt your calorie goal to your lower weight spontaneously. (I think it should lower by 10 calories every 5lbs lost or so).
  • jmtuttle854
    Options

Sometimes MFP 'spontaneously' changes elements in your goal setup as well. Happened to me a few times: I changed one element myself and after saving that, other settings were suddenly different as well. So definitely check those settings.

Thank you for the ‘PS’ tip! I did change it under goals. I guess at this point, I wonder which calorie goal is more accurate? The lower or higher? One more thing, after looking around the FAQ boards for an answer last night, I did change my activity level to Lightly Active vs Active. So now I am 1600/day vs 1370 where I started. Which do I follow?! Thank you for all your answers!

• jmtuttle854
    edited April 2021
    Options

I did, I went through every tab about 100 times last night! I kind of made myself nuts over calories last night. Not good! I am still set at lose 1lb/week.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options

Thank you for the ‘PS’ tip! I did change it under goals. I guess at this point, I wonder which calorie goal is more accurate? The lower or higher? One more thing, after looking around the FAQ boards for an answer last night, I did change my activity level to Lightly Active vs Active. So now I am 1600/day vs 1370 where I started. Which do I follow?! Thank you for all your answers!

Each level up in Activity Level on this site results in 250 more calories per day.

Which one most closely describes your daily activity? NOT including exercise, just your day to day stuff, cleaning, work, school, kids or whatever.

We can't decide for you.

Pick one and stick to it for 4-6 weeks. When you exercise you are meant to eat more, so enter that exercise into the Exercise section and eat the additional calories needed to support that extra activity.

In 4-6 weeks you'll have good trending data to use to make your decision about intake of calories.
  • jmtuttle854
    edited April 2021
    Options

Each level up in Activity Level on this site results in 250 more calories per day.

Which one most closely describes your daily activity? NOT including exercise, just your day to day stuff, cleaning, work, school, kids or whatever.

We can't decide for you.

Pick one and stick to it for 4-6 weeks. When you exercise you are meant to eat more, so enter that exercise into the Exercise section and eat the additional calories needed to support that extra activity.

In 4-6 weeks you'll have good trending data to use to make your decision about intake of calories.

What I’m hearing you say is that there is no “right” answer, just what works for me. And I thank you for your response!