People need to watch what they say!

Options
Today, my boss told me that I am looking awfully skinny and asked me if i'm okay. Honestly, I know he meant well but comments like that can hurt people! I worked really hard to lose all my weight and calling someone "skinny" isn't nice! Bahhh

Replies

• kristineh86
    kristineh86 Posts: 134
    Options
    Today, my boss told me that I am looking awfully skinny and asked me if i'm okay. Honestly, I know he meant well but comments like that can hurt people! I worked really hard to lose all my weight and calling someone "skinny" isn't nice! Bahhh
  • robsonaraujo
    robsonaraujo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I dont mean to disrespect your feelings but if somebody call me skiny i will love it... but this is just me... sorry about your boss comments...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options

It's amazing how many people out there say hurtful things to you when you've been successful with weight loss.:mad: That's one of the great things about MFP:bigsmile:
    we support each other and celebrate our success and the success of others.:bigsmile:

A friend of mine lost a lot of weight and someone asked her if she was trying to get a promotion.
  • kristineh86
    Options
    haha, yea i know what you mean, if you were to call me skinny 2 years ago i would have loved it too. I guess my point is that the wording people use and they way they say certain things can be hurtful. It was just the WAY he said it. It's kind of like saying "you are really pale, are you sick?" You know what I mean? I dunno...maybe its just me.

And skinny isn't necessarily a good thing either....I think that being too skinny isn't attractive and I feel like that is what he meant! I'd rather be a little heavier than SKINNY!
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    I hear ya sister
    because I don't have pot belly like most 40 year old fat out of shape lazy good for nothing stuffing there face with fat and beer.
    there's something worng with me?
    give the fat baster hell
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 36
    Options
    OMG I CAN SO UNDERSTAND!!!! Last year I was losing weight and everyone kept asking me if I was eating, or if I was "okay", and that I was "disappearing". It was really insulting! I had to constantly explain what I was doing and how I was doing it. blah.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't be terribly upset.....but thats me...........better then having your waitress ask when the baby is due.....................and your not pregnant....has happened a couple times to me, I just started saying 3 months :explode:

I can't wait for someone to call me skinny.......But I am sorry that your feelings were hurt. :flowerforyou:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    being told you're too skinny can be just as insulting as too fat.
    i know it can be hurtful but look at it this way: you clearly did something right if people are noticing.
    :heart: aisha
  • last10sue
    Options
    My mom always asks if I'm sick.Her way of saying I'm losing too much weight.I'm still 138 pounds.Come on.Don't listen or explain.It's sometimes not even worth the effort.Surround yourself with postive people.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel I have had those comments before too I chalk that one to jealousy :bigsmile:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I understand, it has happened too me. My sister did it this summer. She said "OMG you so freaking skinny, eat a sandwich" But she is overweight sooo. Still it was hurtful and I said "Hey stop talking about my body like that, would like me to start talking about yours??" She shut up real fast. It would have been better for her to say. "you look so fit, lean, toned, muscular, healthy..." then it is a complement.
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sister
    because I don't have pot belly like most 40 year old fat out of shape lazy good for nothing stuffing there face with fat and beer.
    there's something worng with me?
    give the fat baster hell

HEY!!!!
    :mad:

I don't drink beer.
    :wink: :laugh:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I also recently had a neighbor comment on my weight loss and ask if I was eating. Honestly, I chuckled it off. I mean, I know some people may try to starve themselves to lose weight, but as a mother of 3 and all by myself right now...how irresponsible would that be?!

I would take it this way...People care about you. Everything is in how you take it. Try not to have a chip on your shoulder. It's nice that someone notices and cares.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    You really want to teach them a lesson?

If someone comments about your weight (either way)

give them your whole freakin plan. Top to bottom, go through all your food, why you are doing it, all your exercise routines, everything. Make it take like 5 minutes, let em squirm a little. I know I know, a little childish, but hey, they started it. :tongue:

This will serve two purposes, it'll shut them up cuz you're doing it right, and it'll make em feel stupid for mentioning anything. Hehe, double whammy. I'm so evil some times. :devil:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    LOL Banks that is so funny.

I do this to people who haven't asked :blushing:

I can't shutup about it:laugh:
  • healthyone41
    Options
    I believe that when someone makes an "ignorant" comment like that..... then they need to be "schooled" Tell them all about your weight loss success and let them know how great you feel and how much more energy you have now!!

162358.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    LOL Banks that is so funny.

I do this to people who haven't asked :blushing:

I can't shutup about it:laugh:

me too, til I see their eyes start to glaze over :happy:
  • kristineh86
    Options
    I love that idea too! HAHA!
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options

I don't want to downplay your feelings, so I hope this doesn't upset you....

I grew up with two older brothers, so I learned the hard way that they just won't word things right. Even if their heart is in the right place, when the words come out, all you can do is stand there with your mouth agape! I think that is GREAT that you are "skinny", but I think he was just showing concern...which for a boss to even care like that is really nice. He could have totally worded it differently, but men don't think about stuff like that.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I agree with Banks and Lucky, then, when he glances at his watch and pretends he has a meeting he "forgot" you grab his sleeve and earnestly say, "I've noticed you're getting just a little pudgy. I can help you! You would be amazed at how much better you'll feel! Really, and what could be more important than your health!? I know you have a meeting, but it can wait, and your expanding tummy won't. Lets get busy on this right now. I'm there for you! :laugh: