Amazon Book Suggestions

I had to share this book suggestion which came up on amazon this morning. I’m torn between awe that someone has churned out five of these things, and irritation that Amazon has somehow tied it to those XXLs I used to order.

Just goes to show, there’s a market for every niche.

50c4fcyr4j0z.jpeg

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Amazon keeps offering my husband free Kindle books....but he tells me they are always "chick books".
    I'm not sure what that means, and I don't care enough to ask him for more details.
    Sometimes their suggestions are super weird.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    Amazon keeps offering my husband free Kindle books....but he tells me they are always "chick books".
    I'm not sure what that means, and I don't care enough to ask him for more details.

Yes, if you have Prime you can get one free book per month through the First Reads program, usually from new authors, and he's right - these are often Chick Lit. I always review these carefully, paying close attention to the one star reviews, but am still often disappointed. However, a few times I've found some gems good enough for me to actually want to reread or buy and give as presents. (I'm a voracious reader and re-reader, belong to three library systems, and rarely buy books.)

https://www.amazon.com/firstreads

I'm not opposed to the occasional trashy novel, and was going to give this one a shot, until I Looked Inside and saw it was written in first person for multiple characters. Most authors can't do one person first person POV well, and I've yet to find one who can do multiple people well in first person, so I didn't bother.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C7J3LQZ/ref=kf_lp_desktop_cv_0

Kate Nelson had it all. A flourishing company founded with her husband, John; a happy marriage; and a daughter, Ashlyn. The picture-perfect family. Until John left for another woman. Tish is half his age. Ambitious. She’s cultivated a friendship with Ashlyn. Tish believes she’s won.

She’s wrong.

Tish Nelson has it all. Youth, influence, a life of luxury, and a new husband. But the truth is, there’s a lot of baggage. Namely, his first wife—and suspicions of his infidelity. After all, that’s how she got John. Maybe it’s time for a romantic getaway, far from his vindictive ex. If Kate plans on getting John back, Tish is one step ahead of her.

She thinks.

But what happens next is something neither Kate nor Tish saw coming. As best-laid plans come undone, there’s no telling what a woman will do in the name of love—and revenge.
  • kshama2001
    I had to share this book suggestion which came up on amazon this morning. I’m torn between awe that someone has churned out five of these things, and irritation that Amazon has somehow tied it to those XXLs I used to order.

At one point I was also ordering for my mom, my brother who is in to death metal, and my young nephews. I got the weirdest suggestions from Amazon!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, if you have Prime you can get one free book per month through the First Reads program, usually from new authors, and he's right - these are often Chick Lit. I always review these carefully, paying close attention to the one star reviews, but am still often disappointed. However, a few times I've found some gems good enough for me to actually want to reread or buy and give as presents. (I'm a voracious reader and re-reader, belong to three library systems, and rarely buy books.)

I'm not opposed to the occasional trashy novel, and was going to give this one a shot, until I Looked Inside and saw it was written in first person for multiple characters. Most authors can't do one person first person POV well, and I've yet to find one who can do multiple people well in first person, so I didn't bother.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C7J3LQZ/ref=kf_lp_desktop_cv_0

Kate Nelson had it all. A flourishing company founded with her husband, John; a happy marriage; and a daughter, Ashlyn. The picture-perfect family. Until John left for another woman. Tish is half his age. Ambitious. She’s cultivated a friendship with Ashlyn. Tish believes she’s won.

She’s wrong.

Tish Nelson has it all. Youth, influence, a life of luxury, and a new husband. But the truth is, there’s a lot of baggage. Namely, his first wife—and suspicions of his infidelity. After all, that’s how she got John. Maybe it’s time for a romantic getaway, far from his vindictive ex. If Kate plans on getting John back, Tish is one step ahead of her.

She thinks.

But what happens next is something neither Kate nor Tish saw coming. As best-laid plans come undone, there’s no telling what a woman will do in the name of love—and revenge.

I’m a voracious reader as well. Also have prime. I’ve reread some books (GWTW many times), but, now with free books, I very seldom buy a book, or reread. I glance through the monthly free Amazon books, but seldom choose one. Between the library and Amazon, my queue is long. I watched the first season of Virgin River on Netflix last year and thought I’d read the book before I watch season 2. The book is a little steamier than I remember season 1 being on Netflix.

Happy reading!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    Well, I was abundantly amused that the “Curvy for Keeps” series was suggested to me as someone having bought XXL sizes.

I have a thing for vintage mysteries and serial cliffhangers from the early 1900’s, so I get some oddball suggestions.

It doesn’t help that some of the titles and description are so “out there” I can resist reading the blurbs and especially the reviews. Reviews by miffed readers who feel they’ve been cheated by fake reviews are the absolute best entertainment on a slow day.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I often feel judged by these algorithms and I don't appreciate it! :D

My Goodreads queue has about 700 books on it at present; I really don't think I could handle adding any more, especially of, ahem, dubious quality. Life's too short to read bad books.
  • kshama2001

Trying to get my one free book again this month and the only one I was remotely interested in is again written in first person from multiple characters' POV. Ugh.

Anyone have suggestions for this month's free book?

I like SF, fantasy, Stephen King, and romance if there are vampires, but with Sookie and earlier Anita Blake female leads rather than Twilight's Bella.
  • springlering62
    edited September 2021
    Oh jeez. After I texted the kids and posted in my feed about how much we enjoyed “What we Do in the Shadows”, for weeks my Kindle gave me tons of vampire romance suggestions.

It’s a GoogleAmazonConspiracy and it’s freaking me out.

Now I’m getting “end of the world as we know it romance” suggestions, which are particulArly annoying. Cover art of a couple with machines guns sling over their shoulders, walking hand in hand through a ruined landscape. That kind of things. WTF?

My absolute favorites though, were the recommendations for hairdressers who romance billionaires. Apparently there’s a whole market for these things. The synopses had me falling out of my chair laughing. I guess that’s why I keep getting crazy recommendations because I can’t resist reading the blurbs. They’re like straight up comedy.

The weird thing is, I haven’t read a romance since I was a teenager,. I’d sneak my mom’s Harlequins and read them. I thought they were so racy, lololol.
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    For anyone who likes humor with their "adult" books, check out the Fifty Shades of Alice in Wonderland trilogy (avl in book or audio form).
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Kindle Unlimited also suggests an assortment of truly hilarious and/or bizarre things to me.

Read the synopsis for ONE weird title and suddenly you aren't allowed anything else, I swear.
  • kshama2001
    For anyone who likes humor with their "adult" books, check out the Fifty Shades of Alice in Wonderland trilogy (avl in book or audio form).

"This Fifty Shades is a modernized parody that has nothing to do with tortured billionaires and their implausibly virginal obsessions."

Sounds like fun!

Free with Kindle Unlimited, which I don't have. I've sent myself a sample to see if I want to buy it. None of my three library systems have it.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Fifty-Shades-Alice-Adults-ebook/dp/B08596SW16/ref=sr_1_3?
  • kshama2001
    edited September 2021
    Oh jeez. After I texted the kids and posted in my feed about how much we enjoyed “What we Do in the Shadows”, for weeks my Kindle gave me tons of vampire romance suggestions.

Now I’m getting “end of the world as we know it romance” suggestions, which are particulArly annoying. Cover art of a couple with machines guns sling over their shoulders, walking hand in hand through a ruined landscape. That kind of things. WTF?

My absolute favorites though, were the recommendations for hairdressers who romance billionaires. Apparently there’s a whole market for these things. The synopses had me falling out of my chair laughing. I guess that’s why I keep getting crazy recommendations because I can’t resist reading the blurbs. They’re like straight up comedy.

The weird thing is, I haven’t read a romance since I was a teenager,. I’d sneak my mom’s Harlequins and read them. I thought they were so racy, lololol.

Ooo, “What we Do in the Shadows” series looks like fun and Rotten Tomatoes gave the first season a 94%. I might have that as my series to watch while exercising after I finish Manifest.

I suppose I should watch the movie first?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member

At one point I was also ordering for my mom, my brother who is in to death metal, and my young nephews. I got the weirdest suggestions from Amazon!

The SO uses my Amazon account and spends a lot of time browsing on there so I end up with suggestions for specialized machinist tools and metal fabrication. *yawn*
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

The SO uses my Amazon account and spends a lot of time browsing on there so I end up with suggestions for specialized machinist tools and metal fabrication. *yawn*

I'd like those better than romance novels, pretty sure. 🙄
  • springlering62

Ooo, “What we Do in the Shadows” series looks like fun and Rotten Tomatoes gave the first season a 94%. I might have that as my series to watch while exercising after I finish Manifest.

I suppose I should watch the movie first?

I thought the movie was cute but the series was way better, imho.

Just be careful. My husband and I walk around baring our teeth, hissing at one another, and then breaking down into helpless laughter.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    There are some rental options -- I can have 10 out for free, not sure how they are decided.