Urgent Help Please I'm in a mess now!

2»

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,246 Member
    Sounds like you have a good plan, I have stalled so just increased my calories by adding more protein and exercising using weights more. Good luck.
  • 963Nitro
    963Nitro Posts: 82 Member
    I recommend to start looking at food as fuel, and not just as something you limit.

For example: If you know you're going to do a hard workout - make sure to fuel your body with some carbs and some sugar pre-workout (banana right before, maybe some low sugar (under 10g a serving) cereal in the morning.

And remember that after your workout, you need to eat back SOME of the calories your burn. Let's say your recommended amount of calories a day is 1500 for weight loss. You have a 500 Cal burn during your workout.

You should eat a total of 1650-1900 calories total for the day. If you don't "eat back" your calories, you may see faster results, but you also feel more tired, lethargic, and have less energy working out. Plus it isn't sustainable, and you tend to hit more plateaus.

Once you have a good feel for how your workouts go (calories burned), you can start stacking more calories before your workout.

For example, I know for my gym classes I burn 700-800 calories while I'm there ( I go to Orange Theory, where we use trackers)

So lets say my calorie target is 1500 calories for the day on MFP. Typically because I know I'll have a 700-800 calorie burn for my after work workout, I'll eat 1500 calories before I even go to the gym.

After the gym I've "earned back" 700-800 calories, and typically have a 500 calorie dinner. (I practice slight deficit because I know no calculation is perfect - But listen to your body! if your stomach is growling, eat something!! (healthy))

Before when I didn't eat my calories I never hit new PR's at the gym, I was more tired during the day, and I just felt sluggish.

After I started eating back my calories, I felt like I could push myself so much harder working out, I had more energy (even after working out) and was happier overall. and guess what - MY WEIGHT LOSS CONTINUED AND BECAME MORE CONSISTANT.

I hope this helps. Feel free to friend me.
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    The hardest part of losing weight is the slow weeks. Sometimes those weeks are your body adjusting to your lose and you will lose inches instead of pounds. I measure everything from my neck to my calves. This helps me keep pushing through the slow weight loss weeks or plateaus. Remember stay positive and non-scale victories are just as important as the scale moving!!
  • TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    Zinka61 wrote: »
    My son hates veggies, too, but he loves blueberry smoothies with banana, plant milk, and greens--He likes kale, but spinach or arugula are other good choices for smoothies. The veggies are hidden. For years I cooked carrots and pureed them into his pizza sauce, so there are ways to hide veggies enough to get them down!

Yes! I make a blueberry smoothie that my son loves as well and it has spinach in it. He HATES spinach. These are excellent suggestions at getting more veggies into your diet.
  • dansemaillives
    dansemaillives Posts: 42 Member
    963Nitro wrote: »
    I recommend to start looking at food as fuel, and not just as something you limit.

For example: If you know you're going to do a hard workout - make sure to fuel your body with some carbs and some sugar pre-workout (banana right before, maybe some low sugar (under 10g a serving) cereal in the morning.

And remember that after your workout, you need to eat back SOME of the calories your burn. Let's say your recommended amount of calories a day is 1500 for weight loss. You have a 500 Cal burn during your workout.

You should eat a total of 1650-1900 calories total for the day. If you don't "eat back" your calories, you may see faster results, but you also feel more tired, lethargic, and have less energy working out. Plus it isn't sustainable, and you tend to hit more plateaus.

Once you have a good feel for how your workouts go (calories burned), you can start stacking more calories before your workout.

For example, I know for my gym classes I burn 700-800 calories while I'm there ( I go to Orange Theory, where we use trackers)

So lets say my calorie target is 1500 calories for the day on MFP. Typically because I know I'll have a 700-800 calorie burn for my after work workout, I'll eat 1500 calories before I even go to the gym.

After the gym I've "earned back" 700-800 calories, and typically have a 500 calorie dinner. (I practice slight deficit because I know no calculation is perfect - But listen to your body! if your stomach is growling, eat something!! (healthy))

Before when I didn't eat my calories I never hit new PR's at the gym, I was more tired during the day, and I just felt sluggish.

After I started eating back my calories, I felt like I could push myself so much harder working out, I had more energy (even after working out) and was happier overall. and guess what - MY WEIGHT LOSS CONTINUED AND BECAME MORE CONSISTANT.

I hope this helps. Feel free to friend me.

Yes it helps a lot thanks. And I've friended you!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member

So I started Step Aerobics on YouTube. I logged it under MFP own settings for a 6-8 inch step. It's 126 steps a minute and I do a pair of routines twice a day that add up to a total of 90 minutes (45 minutes a session) the calories are what MFP put. They have dropped as I have dropped weight. I am also doing a small stretch for middle aged men from Samsung health at the moment which adds 84 calories, again its own settings.

Are you saying that 90 minutes of step aerobics and some stretching burns 1600 calories? That seems really high.
  • TinaLeigh67
    edited April 2021
    @crb426
    I was thinking the same thing. I went and calculated and it is based off your current weight. 90 minutes for my CW of 144.4 pounds is 865, so maybe 1600 is accurate. If it is, I may need to start up step aerobics :)
  • dansemaillives
    Well I'm just inputting on here and it tells me based on my current weight. I was doing a 7 inch step and 2 sessions of 45. This week I'm doing 45 minutes and 15 minutes bike. It's still saying over 900 cal burn for that.

Interestingly another calorie counter app gives less by about 300 calories. Each week I have lost weight the burn has gone down.

• dansemaillives
    Forgot to add I'm 263 lbs at last weigh in
  • TinaLeigh67
    @dansemaillives
    Once I plugged in my numbers I guessed your weight probably had something to do with the amount burned. It is weird how different apps give different numbers though. Hard to know what to believe. Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • tradercourt1
    tradercourt1 Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2021
    Reading so much good stuff here - really good advice. Don't punish yourself through diet - it really is a long term goal you are setting AND you in the journey to reaching that goal. Take it a little easier on yourself. You should feel really good about the process and not horrified by an absolutely on-time slow down. Your pace of weight loss is great and as you work out you gain muscle - so that scale, alone, is not telling you the full story. Please be sure to eat a bit more than you are allowing yourself. Oddly, I have found in the past when I am being too restrictive and running into a wall, that a big healthy meal is usually followed by weight loss again in the next few days....its a great cure and it is not a failure to eat a healthy meal. Also, listen to your body. Slight soreness is good to work through with a light workout, but do not go so hard that you wind up exhausted and prone to injury. It's a marathon not a sprint. CONGRATS on all your success and keep up the good work. You should feel terrific about it.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Well I'm just inputting on here and it tells me based on my current weight. I was doing a 7 inch step and 2 sessions of 45. This week I'm doing 45 minutes and 15 minutes bike. It's still saying over 900 cal burn for that.

Interestingly another calorie counter app gives less by about 300 calories. Each week I have lost weight the burn has gone down.

So for each 45 minute session, you are getting around 800 calories burnt? I would say that's too high - a lot of people find the MFP database over-estimates exercise calories and recommend eating back a proportion (e.g.50-75%) of them.
  • dansemaillives

So for each 45 minute session, you are getting around 800 calories burnt? I would say that's too high - a lot of people find the MFP database over-estimates exercise calories and recommend eating back a proportion (e.g.50-75%) of them.

Yeh I've started eating some back this week, today it said 900+ burn and I ate just over 300 of them.
  • dansemaillives
    Reading so much good stuff here - really good advice. Don't punish yourself through diet - it really is a long term goal you are setting AND you in the journey to reaching that goal. Take it a little easier on yourself. You should feel really good about the process and not horrified by an absolutely on-time slow down. Your pace of weight loss is great and as you work out you gain muscle - so that scale, alone, is not telling you the full story. Please be sure to eat a bit more than you are allowing yourself. Oddly, I have found in the past when I am being too restrictive and running into a wall, that a big healthy meal is usually followed by weight loss again in the next few days....its a great cure and it is not a failure to eat a healthy meal. Also, listen to your body. Slight soreness is good to work through with a light workout, but do not go so hard that you wind up exhausted and prone to injury. It's a marathon not a sprint. CONGRATS on all your success and keep up the good work. You should feel terrific about it.

Thank you 😊
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,246 Member
    Thanks all I started to increase and eat some calories back lost another pound.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I didn’t look at your diary, but my brother used to tell me he hated vegetables as he put more onions and pickles on his hamburger, or more onions and tomatoes in the meatloaf he was making.
    If you like pickles, google a recipe for quick pickled vegetables. You can pickle almost anything. I absolutely won’t even think of eating cauliflower usually. But it’s okay pickled (not my favorite, just ok). I LOVE pickled radish.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    edited April 2021
    Really helped getting all these replies thank you so much. It's one blip (and not really a blip as I still lost a lb!) Will refocus and stop getting hung up on amount of weight plus speed of loss and focus on my nutrition and exercise to lose weight and sustain it for the long term into maintenence....
    @dansemaillives I was so tickled to see you post this! You have the right mind set and that is a big help to weight loss being long term. Way to go and carry on!

FYI" You can learn to love veggies! I second the idea from corinasue1143 on pickled veg! Also, squash-summer yellow, zucchini, and the winter squashes are a good start. So, too, are roasted root veg (think rutabagas, beets, turnips, carrots of all colors!). Be sure to not cook all of the 'chew' out of them and season with salt or substitute and herbs. I like using butter or olive oil. The more color you can add in your choices, the better they are for you -and the prettier they look! After all, we eat first with our eyes... "Roasting' veg is a quick and easy way to prepare them. No recipe needed.

Oh! A quick, pretty, and taste-good snack is mini sweet peppers (orange and yellow are my fav!), stuffed with Laughing Cow cheese and dusted with mixed herbs! "everything Bagel" seasoning is a good and easy cheat to herb mix, too! Low cal, crunchy and creamy! Yumm!

And okra (yep!) split long-wise and broiled (IKR?!). Sprinkle with parmasan cheese last minute of broiling. Really satisfying side dish or snack. You will be surprised at how good it tastes:-).

Congrats with all you are doing!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,552 Member
    There are two types of "exercises" on MFP.

The "exercise" where a connected tracker device or app "corrects" MFP's daily total of Calories burned. This has nothing to do with the actual exercises and it replaces the activity level that was guessed during guided setup with what the tracking device or app estimated.

And manually input exercise.

A major source of discrepancy is that the MFP exercise calorie refers to "gross calories" that include the calories you would have burned just by continuing to exist during the time frame in question... not to "net calories" added by the exercise. But, not only that, but MFP has already assigning Calories to the time frame of the exercise based on the previously selected activity level.

So the exercise itself is gross calories. Net calories would require that 1x BMR (technically RMR) Calories be removed.

BUT, MFP is already assigning 1.25 (or 1.4, 1.6, or 1.8)x BMR Calories to the time slot based on your selection of activity level.

True NET calorie estimates for the exercise would be the gross Cal less the amount of Cal assigned by MFP.

For a high intensity and shorter duration exercise reducing by 1.25x BMR (given that so many people select sedentary by default) is no big deal in the big scheme of things. But for a 3 hour low intensity walk it could amount to almost half the calories of the exercise.

Hence the "reputation" of MFP "overestimating" exercise.