How much is in “2 scoops” of ice cream

Options
Hello,

I had a cheat meal and indulged in a double scoop ice cream cone.

It got me wondering how many cups or ounces of ice cream is actually in “2 scoops” in a large waffle cone?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,592 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Lol. There’s waffle cones.

And then there’s WAFFLE CONES.

Depends on which ice cream parlor I go to on our “Square”, and even then it’s just an educated guess.

ETA: I have to pass both on my daily walk to the yoga studio. I’m no fun these days. I look at the folks with their giant paper cup full of ice cream and think to myself,”man, look at all those calories.” And then I mentally calculate how many snacks I could probably get out of the deal. SMH. MFP brain *kitten*.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I would try to mentally compare it to a pint container of ice cream. The place I go is about half a pint for 2 scoops, but they aren't very big cones or particularly generous with the ice cream. They are also not too expensive!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    After you log food for a while at home (using a food scale) you'll get really good at guesstimating portions when out.

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Log 500 calories and don't do it again.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    If it's a tennis ball size scoop, that is 1/2 cup approx., which is about 150 calories. A Keebler waffle cone is 50 calories. I've been studying this issue closely. Almost every night I dole out my one scoop and fit it into my daily calories. If you love ice cream and you're doing well in other respects with exercise and meal portions, there is no reason why you can't have a scoop of ice cream and not feel guilty and still lose weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would try to mentally compare it to a pint container of ice cream. The place I go is about half a pint for 2 scoops, but they aren't very big cones or particularly generous with the ice cream. They are also not too expensive!

This is what I would do too. 2 scoops could be anything, but if they're filling a large waffle cone, it's probably on the heftier side. When my husband gets a waffle cone, it's usually filled much more than my cup of ice cream, even if we're both getting "2 scoops."
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It really depends.

There's an ice cream place near us that, if you order "one scoop" of something, will pack the little paper cup as full of ice cream as it can be - dipping the scooper into the tub easily 2-3 times. The cup is roughly the same dimensions as my 1-cup dry goods measuring cup at home, so it's probably about 8 oz capacity, but I'm sure they're packing in 9, maybe 10 oz of ice cream. I don't usually get cones, not because calories I just prefer cups, but if you order "one scoop" in a cone they WILL fill the bottom of that cone with about a scoop of ice cream before putting your "one scoop" on top of that. Not that we get ice cream very often, especially these days, but when it does happen I err on the side of overestimating the calories.

If you're enjoying ice cream at home, use your food scale and weigh out your serving. There can be room for ice cream in your life if you plan for it.
  • FPlanner2021
    FPlanner2021 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If it's a tennis ball size scoop, that is 1/2 cup approx., which is about 150 calories. A Keebler waffle cone is 50 calories. I've been studying this issue closely. Almost every night I dole out my one scoop and fit it into my daily calories. If you love ice cream and you're doing well in other respects with exercise and meal portions, there is no reason why you can't have a scoop of ice cream and not feel guilty and still lose weight.

I've heard the tennis ball comparison as well.. So a good starting point.

I'm also assuming different types of ice-cream would also change the calorie hit aka vanilla vs bubble gum.... Oui?
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I've heard the tennis ball comparison as well.. So a good starting point.

I'm also assuming different types of ice-cream would also change the calorie hit aka vanilla vs bubble gum.... Oui?

Eh, I don't think the calorie count would really be significantly different between two flavors unless one of them had a lot of mix-ins like cookie dough, or nuts, or a caramel swirl, that kind of thing. In your example of plain vanilla vs bubble gum, the base recipe is probably the same and the difference comes down to the actual vanilla or bubble-gum flavoring, whatever the manufacturer uses for those, and they're probably similar enough chemically that it's similar calories for one vs the other.
  • zheother
    zheother Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would just buy a container of ice cream and eat it at home where you can weigh it and actually track the calories, after a while you will get a feel of the kcal vs volume of ice cream and it will be simpler to guesstimate the next time you're eating out :smiley:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    zheother wrote: »
    I would just buy a container of ice cream and eat it at home where you can weigh it and actually track the calories, after a while you will get a feel of the kcal vs volume of ice cream and it will be simpler to guesstimate the next time you're eating out :smiley:

I think there are varying schools of thought on this. I personally wanted to lose my weight in the way that I planned on living long term as it gave me a chance to practice new skills. I never planned to give up sometimes getting ice cream outside the house, so I practiced the skill of estimating while I was losing weight.

Some things I'm sure I did a poor job of estimating at the beginning, but I got better as I went along and it all worked out.