Quiting the Soda!!! any suggestions??

Options

Replies

• I am a Mountain Dew addict! Whenever I try to quit i get horrible migraines not to mention the loss of energy!
    Any suggestions on how to kick the "DEW" without the horrible withdrawls? :noway:

It sounds silly, I was addicted to Pepsi Max but I replaced it with water. I know it sounds naff & off putting but since drinking water instead, I feel so much better. I had no idea how much Pepsi Max made me feel so clogged up. I still had the craving for it for a while but, it was worth it :D. Instead of feeling clogged up, I feel refreshed.
  • bethgarzonie
    Options
    I also am a Dewaholic. A friend suggested diet, but...... eeewww! So then she told me to try half regular and half diet. I mix them in water bottles. Not bad. I have been doing this for 2 weeks now. Not only am I cutting half of the calories and sugar, I also quit having my third one in the evening. Another benefit is that I can now drink other diet stuff (like teas) . They don't taste as bad to me now. Next step...... 1/3 to 2/3 ratio.
  • aab2011
    Options
    I was completely addicted to diet soda, and quit drinking it about 8 weeks ago. I will have one every once in awhile. But I say go cold turkey. Your head will hurt for a few days but after you will be fine! I don't even crave it anymore. I just drink water now.
  • livnlite
    Options
    I am a Mountain Dew addict! Whenever I try to quit i get horrible migraines not to mention the loss of energy!
    Any suggestions on how to kick the "DEW" without the horrible withdrawls? :noway:

Addiction counselling usually suggests to stop 'using' a little at a time. You have to think of it terms of chemical dependency. Your insulin and blood sugar levels are peaking and dropping therefore you may experience headaches and cravings.

If you are used to having 3 (or More a day) (for instance) cut down to 1 or 2 .. try that for a few days then just 1 .. after a few more days then 1/2 .. then lemon water ... get the picture?
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Replace that addiction with cigarettes.
  • blarics11
    Options
    I already have the cigg addiction LOL
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I dont drink soda, but I do like pop. I mostly drink iced tea now.
  • BeckyV73
    BeckyV73 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Old turkey is the best way. Rip that bandage off!

Hehehehehe Old turkey

LOL! To be honest, I found it harder to quit diet dr pepper than it was to quit smoking.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Drink nastier soda.
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I dont drink soda, but I do like pop. I mostly drink iced tea now.

I thought soda=pop?
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

Switch to chewing.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I kicked my Diet Coke addiction by drinking lots of tea and soda water (not at the same time, obviously.)
  • momtimesone
    momtimesone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    2 weeks off the soda and never going back not even on diet soda as it tastes like mud to me. First few days I went on a buying blitz to figure out what drinks I would like without going to heavy on the carbs and such. I found Great value/walmart brand lemonaide mix which has 5 calories a serving, no carbs, no sugurs and you mix it with water. Its great but for the first few days I got big headaches and yes I was tired and had my urges. I took meds for the headaches which went away after 3 days and every time I get the urge to drink I take a look at that big ole bottle of soda and count the calories. I was drinking 2 2liters a day for the past 11 years. I realized that all those empty calories are what caused me to look like a busted can of bisquits in the first place and that just by cutting that out I would be cutting 1600 calories if not more a day , thus losing this weight. Now I sleep better and am not tired one bit and the lemonaide tastes good with all my foods which shocked me but I guess I just got used to it because of its tart taste. Good luck on your path to a pop free life and I am behind you 100%
  • I already have the cigg addiction LOL

Switch to chewing.

Can't replace an addiction with something else >< Any addiction is bad. You need to condition yourself to not want it.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Switch to chewing.

Can't replace an addiction with something else >< Any addiction is bad. You need to condition yourself to not want it.

Might I interest you in one of these:

sarcasm-detector.jpg
  • pippifax
    Options
    I just did the same! (but i was addicted to ALL sodas... I drank around 2 liters a day of pepsi, mt dew or dr pepper.)

The only thing I found was to quit "cold turkey." I HATED when people told me to drink diet soda or any of the low calorie drinks because I couldn't stand the taste of artificial sweetener/sucralose/etc. It all tasted like disgusting fake sugar to me. I let myself have tea sweetened by honey (because it doesn't have "that" taste) to get me by when I was completely miserable.

You just have to push through it, and it is HARD! But so worth it. Now I can drink Mio and it actually tastes sweet to me, because I'm not drowing myself in sugar all the time. I also allow myself about one real soda a week, and its so, so good.

Just push yourself through it! Grab some water or lightly sweetened tea, and you'll get through it :) I was so awfully addicted, if I can do it, anyone can :)
  • melbaby925
    Options
    Quitting smoking was easier for me than quitting soda. It was nuts...I'm 6 months clean of all soda, and I still have cravings on occasion.

That being said: I ramped down over 2 weeks or so, and replaced them with Green Tea Lemonade (no extra syrup) from Starbucks and flavored sparkling water (no sugar or calories - kind of defeats the purpose of quitting soda). And lots of water.

The headaches were there, and so were the sugar cravings. The dog got walked a lot during the first month, but it worked.

Good luck!
  • heidithompson78
    Options
    I am a complete soda addict! I am slowly attempting to switch my diet soda for diet caffine free as well as crystal light. I hate and I mean hate water! it makes me gag. We also bought a soda fountain, it allows you to make your own soda, and you can slowly get yourself from regular to diet by mixing the two mixes together and gradually decreasing the regualr mix while increasing the diet, until you are on diet.
  • TeMpi
    TeMpi Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My suggestion:

Stop drinking soda.
    Ignore the pain from headaches.
    Do what you need to get done that day regardless of energy loss.

Do this until it feels natural. Good luck!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Diet IMO