Portioning recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Side question: What about the difference in cooked weight vs raw weight? How do we get around that?
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i bought a bigger scale just so i can weigh things like casseroles.(went from a 3kg max.weight,to a 7kg max weight). I have a spreadsheet with the weight of all my pots and pans. When i make a recipe, i weigh the finished product as is within the pot, then deduct the weight of the pot. So let's say this number is 1153grams. Then i get a plate and scoop the amount i want to eat. Done. If i want to freeze some, i get baggies and fill them up (usually 200-250grams).It doesn't matter if one portion has more meat than the other if i eat all of it myself. If i don't eat all of it myself, it will still be all right in the long term. In one recipe you might eat more veggies per portion, in another recipe more meat per portion.It evens out.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I weigh the ingredients and enter them into myfitnesspal recipe builder. I weigh the pot/pan. When the meal is cooked, I weigh the entire pan and subtract the weight of the pan (that I wrote down previously). In the recipe builder, it asks how many servings so let's say it's 8 servings. If the weight of my entire casserole is 1200 grams, then 150 grams is an individual serving. I will actually put (150g) in the title of my recipe. That way, when I make the recipe again, I don't need to do quite as much work. I will know that all I need to do is take 150g of that food to have a serving. It does take more work initially but it's nice that I have a very accurate way of knowing how many calories I'm eating. In my opinion it doesn't make sense to spend time weighing out all those ingredients and then just guesstimate your portion size. It's hard to cut exactly 1/12 of a lasagna and that's a high calorie meal. Or a big bowl of soup? How would you scoop out a portion size? That's why I always weigh.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I weigh the entire finished dish (minus container or pan) in grams. For instance, I have a recipe for sloppy Joe's that has 918 servings. That's 918 total finished weight in grams, then I set the serving size to one gram. Weigh out your portion in grams and enter that as your number of servings.
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on how to figure out portions for food (like non-pureed soup) that isn't homogeneous. Since I'm adding liquid as needed for soups or stew-like dishes, they don't weigh the same every time, so I have to figure out the individual weights for the finished product each time I make a recipe. Also, when I ladle out a serving, it may have more of some ingredients than another serving that weighs the same. (like ending up with more potato versus more mushrooms in a curry) If I try to divide up food fractionally within a casserole pan, a serving doesn't really hold its shape while cutting if it has much liquid in it. So weighing or careful cutting won't give 100% accurate results.

I try to separate foods that are calorie dense for individual weighing, but also keep in mind that probably things average out serving to serving for dishes where that isn't possible. I've been eating lots of soup all winter, and I would have had to puree it all to get servings consistent in calories. Pureed lentil soup. Yum :( Some recipes just don't lend themselves to perfect calorie calculation at home. It's something to keep in mind if you make a lot of calorie dense recipes and aren't losing weight. And if you're using the nutritional info provided in the recipe, be careful that you get the number of servings per recipe right. My favorite cookbook has a tiny font for recipe size; after I got glasses I saw that it said 1/6th of a recipe, not 1/4th, was a serving. Oops.

I don't mean to be defeatist about weighing food, just to point out it won't be perfect for many recipes, just like estimating exercise calories isn't perfect. It's not something to get too fussed over if you're getting results. At least you're making your own food instead of pre-packaged stuff.

My one semi-helpful suggestion would be baking desserts or higher calorie baked goods as cupcakes or muffins for an easy division. It gives individual servings more easily than slicing, and is convenient and less space demanding when freezing.
  • KINGLUNIC
    KINGLUNIC Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    misschoppo wrote: »
    I do the 1g serving calculation too...weigh everything raw before creating the meal. Weigh the finished product and then enter the number or servings into the MFP recipe creator as the number of grams so if the finished meal weighs 2500g then I enter it as 2500 servings and can then have a portion of any size I like and just enter the number of grams of my serving as the portion size for logging.

Now that is smart as *kitten*. use servings as grams !!!! This helps a lot and will start doing
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Side question: What about the difference in cooked weight vs raw weight? How do we get around that?

I thought this was why people were weighing the full pot of food. That would account for steam weight lost. Also allows you to add more water to keep whatever consistency you were looking for, without losing your mind.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

I thought this was why people were weighing the full pot of food. That would account for steam weight lost. Also allows you to add more water to keep whatever consistency you were looking for, without losing your mind.

I haven't been on the forums very long, but I do it's interesting that many if not most of the regulars now would weigh like this, but a few years ago it seems like it was less common. If really old threads get resurrected very few people are weighing, if they are they're using ounces, and then roughly dividing into equal portions for serving.

It could be a matter of which threads but I find it interesting. 🤔
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Oh, hah! I didn't even realize it was a zombie thread.
  • MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It was definitely a game changer, especially when I freeze foods. When I first started I was really bad at writing on the container how many servings were in something. So, I'll have a container of bean soup, but not know if that container has 1 serving or 4. But, now that I've started doing all my recipes by grams, I just have to enter that.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it by VOLUME. I divide the quantity in the mixed meal (casserole or whatever) into quarters visually, as accurately as I can eyeball it, and then weigh the 1/4. I'm going to eat it all anyway, so within 4 days, I have that total number of calories.