The scale is stressing me!

I weigh myself every morning and I have been so frustrated lately because the pounds aren't going as quick as they were once before. What can I do to speed up the process??

Replies

• lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    It is very normal for weight loss to slow down after the first couple of weeks if you’ve just started and also slows down as you get smaller. Your body needs fewer calories the more weight you lose so periodically you’ll need to adjust your calorie intake to maintain a deficit.

Weighing daily can be frustrating for some people as our body weight fluctuates continually. Are you using an app that will show you the overall trend of your weight?
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    It's taking me 8 months to lose 30 lbs and counting,13 lbs in 2 is pretty great. Everyone loses a different rate depending on your starting rate and you will continually hear on this site weight loss isn't linear. Most weeks I loss half a pound some weeks nothing, but its adding up to my eventual goal.

Be patient and work all the avenues suggested

Weigh your food on a food scale
    Make sure you put in your stats on here so your eating the right calorie range for weight loss and exercise
    Drink enough water
    Don't guess calories or serving sizes
    Don't weigh yourself every day if it bothers you
    Take your measurements
    Gauge loss by how your clothes fit
    Read all the mfp stickies as to the best weight loss guidelines and still what works best for you may be somewhere in the middle of all of this.

Best of care to you.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    There are lots of other ways to measure your journey besides a scale. Maybe time to focus on things like inches, clothing fit, strength, endurance etc. A good way to identify all the other goals of weight loss besides a scale number is to go to the thread called NSV (non-scale victory) in the Success Stories forum.
  • Withywarlock
    Withywarlock Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2021
    I weigh myself every morning and I have been so frustrated lately because the pounds aren't going as quick as they were once before.

An understandable concern, I've had similar results as yourself and others in this thread. The scales are but one way to measure yourself; I find that even when my (digital) scales go up in figures, I'm still having to tighten my belt more and more, meaning one of these things is wrong and it's not my trousers. Your weight can fluctuate between 5-6lbs over the course of the day, mostly due to food and drink, and how it's metabolised.
    What can I do to speed up the process??

Calories-in-calories-out (CICO) is essentially what it boils down to. Losing 1-2lbs a week is considered healthy, even if you lost a lot more than that starting out. If you consume too few calories to burn off 3lbs+ per week, you may end up giving up on your lifestyle changes and revert to old habits, or turn to secret eating.

"Slow and steady wins the race." Best of luck! ^^
  • toadflaxbex
    toadflaxbex Posts: 55 Member
    Scales were stressing me too so I stopped using them. I know I’m following the plan and I like to feel my jeans becoming looser around the legs. I aim to weigh monthly.
  • CholeRoad
    CholeRoad Posts: 47 Member
    I weigh myself daily but take the average weight for the week so I don't stress out when my daily weight goes up.
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    I went from daily weighing to weighing myself twice a week (Wednesday's and Saturday's). This works well for me because even though I am maintaining my weight, I know that it can fluctuate by one or two pounds and it's not worth getting stressed over.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Everyone's journey toward wellness is different. Learning to accept yours can take time! For me, I am an absolute turtle when losing weight. It can take me such a long time. And that is ok, it's just my body. I also have an emotional piece attached to weight loss and I need to address that, too, if I want to be successful. Hang on to your goals! You will get there!