How do I figure out calories from a restaurant that aren’t posted?

I eat at this local burger place that is so good sometimes but I always have to guess at the calories. What do I do? This is a picture of what I eat. How many calories do you think is appropriate for this?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I would find calories for a chain restaurant that looks similar and use those.

Based on that picture, I would probably guess about 800-900 for the burger and 350-400 for the fries. That's based on the calorie count for Chilis because it looks kinda like burgers I've seen from there.

Yep, that's what I do too.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    I always just find something similar in the database. I will look at a few to see if there's a common amount of cals and use that.

Don't stress out too much if you're off your calorie count for a day. It won't matter in the long-run as long as generally you are logging properly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't log anymore, but when I did used to just find something similar from a chain restaurant...or sometimes I'd just chalk it up to about 1200 calories or so and do a quick add.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited May 2021
    Just find a "best guess" listing from the MFP database and (my suggestion is to) choose a listing on the HIGH end (rather than low end) in order to over-estimate cals consumed in case you're wrong.

At least that's what I do and it "works" for me.

IMO, it's better to be "wrong" on the high side and eat less and trying to "fool myself" by going low and then gaining weight because it was obviously "wrong."