Ask me anything - nutrition coach

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Are full body workouts any good, or should I just focus on something like chest/triceps or bicep and shoulder workouts? I have three different full body workouts that I alternate every other day right now. I want to get stronger, but I would Really like to look better with my shirt off, tbh.

any workout programs are good if you are consistent with them. Choose one and stick to it for 6 weeks and if you like it, continue with it

you can do upper body, lower body; upper body, lower body, rest for few, and repeat.

Take all your lifts to failure. 12-10 reps, life heavy with good form and keep your protein high.
    Thanks for the offer!

What are easy core strengthening exercies I can do at home? I need to be mindful of spinal fusion c5 -c7 as well as recent shoulder surgery with bicep involvment and shoulder has now frozen.
    I walk alot and have noticed back discomfort which I am attributing to lack of movement in my arms as well as poor core strenght.

Thanks again!
    Speedy recovery. I would do workouts that do not aggravate your injury. Only you can know what triggers your injuries. Work around them; don’t do something that puts more pressure on that shoulder or spine.

Regular Crunches, do them every 2 days. 100 every morning and leg raises 100 as well. Also do planks if your spine can handle it

Regular crunches and leg raises for someone with spinal fusion? And planks for someone with recent shoulder surgery and currently has frozen shoulder? I'd be much more concerned with the shoulder handling planks vs the spine. The plank is GENERALLY considered safe post spinal fusion recovery (check with the professionals you're working with).

OP, please don't do this without consulting your surgeon or therapist.

It's great you want to help people but as we all have different experiences respectful back and forth discussion is great.
    Actually crunches (when done correctly) are okay for spinal fusion. I would incorporate vacuums lying on the back as well as kneeling supermans to reduce pressure on the shoulder if they can't plank.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    How much water is too much? I generally drink 12-15 glasses a day and in warmer weather as of now I think I'm drinking more. I think I lost count today :/ but let's say 18. I tend to sweat a lot so I feel faint.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I like to lift heavy, full body routine similar to stronglifts 5x5, twice per week. I also do cardio daily(step, kickboxing, running, etc). When I don't have access to heavy weights, are dumbbells and body weight exercises enough to keep up my strength and muscle mass? I'm looking at following Sydney Cummings Summertime Fine 3.0 on YouTube. I don't track my calories, but I do try to incorporate protein into my meals and snacks, even when vegetarian.
  • sandboxfitness
    sandboxfitness Posts: 69 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I’m here to help ppl; you can disagree with the advice I give; if they want to take it, fine; if not that’s fine too. it’s free and free speech. Don’t come into my thread to argue with me cause I don’t care what you have to say. you can disagree all you want.. I’m not here for a debate; I know my stuff and I got many ppl into shape..

Have you?
    I have. 35+ years in the business with over 700 clients. I'll just say that if you have advice and it gets scrutinized, give the reason why you give it. In fact, I've also learned things here from others being on here for over 10 years. I'm good at what I do, but I'm also willing to learn from others if what they are touting has legit scientific back up to it. I don't know it all. There are likely some who are much better in knowledge in certain areas of fitness and health than myself. Remember if you ain't learning, you ain't growing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The is the thing, I don’t have to; unless the OP asked why. I don’t get paid for this so if anyone else agreed with it then oh well; it’s open forum; I’m not here to debate
  • sandboxfitness
    How much water is too much? I generally drink 12-15 glasses a day and in warmer weather as of now I think I'm drinking more. I think I lost count today :/ but let's say 18. I tend to sweat a lot so I feel faint.

1 gallon a day is an ideal water intake
  • sandboxfitness
    I like to lift heavy, full body routine similar to stronglifts 5x5, twice per week. I also do cardio daily(step, kickboxing, running, etc). When I don't have access to heavy weights, are dumbbells and body weight exercises enough to keep up my strength and muscle mass? I'm looking at following Sydney Cummings Summertime Fine 3.0 on YouTube. I don't track my calories, but I do try to incorporate protein into my meals and snacks, even when vegetarian.

From experience; no.
  • sandboxfitness
    I turned vegetarian in 2020 due to ethical reasons. Even then I wasn't eating too much meat as I'm not very good cook when it comes to non vegetarian fare. So my only source of protein was eggs. I changed my diet and started eating vegetarian sources of protein. I also very recently have started drinking protein powder but still can't hit my protein goal. Any advice?

I’m not sure how aren’t you hitting your protein goal? Drink more protein shakes or what you have. Instead of 2 scoops; add 3. Add 4..

Is the reason that you aren’t hungry or you can’t use lots of vegan protein powder because it’s expensive?

What’s the reason

3-4 scoops of protein powder?? Is that ok? Direction to use is only 2-3 scoops a day. I'm not a big fan of it and it is expensive. I'm new to protein powders.

Yea it’s ok; it’s vegan protein; it’s food.. in form of powder.
  • sandboxfitness
    davew0000 wrote: »
    I got the one for you.

I’m just starting out on an attempted “lean bulk” aiming for a steady 10% calorie surplus, obviously with a progressive strength training program.

It was my 10 year anniversary on Saturday and I had what you might call a “cheat day”. Three course lunch at a fancy restaurant, followed by drinks and catchup with friends, and a takeaway to finish the day. My next day estimate was about 6000 calories (I’m aiming for 3300 per day).

What’s the best way to limit the damage? Eat at deficit for the next week to “balance out”, accept that my gains may not be optimal this week, or somewhere in between?

(A one-off but it got me wondering)

no; don’t dwell on it. There’s no need to fix anything, get back on track.
  • sandboxfitness
    Are full body workouts any good, or should I just focus on something like chest/triceps or bicep and shoulder workouts? I have three different full body workouts that I alternate every other day right now. I want to get stronger, but I would Really like to look better with my shirt off, tbh.

any workout programs are good if you are consistent with them. Choose one and stick to it for 6 weeks and if you like it, continue with it

you can do upper body, lower body; upper body, lower body, rest for few, and repeat.

Take all your lifts to failure. 12-10 reps, life heavy with good form and keep your protein high.
    Thanks for the offer!

What are easy core strengthening exercies I can do at home? I need to be mindful of spinal fusion c5 -c7 as well as recent shoulder surgery with bicep involvment and shoulder has now frozen.
    I walk alot and have noticed back discomfort which I am attributing to lack of movement in my arms as well as poor core strenght.

Thanks again!
    Speedy recovery. I would do workouts that do not aggravate your injury. Only you can know what triggers your injuries. Work around them; don’t do something that puts more pressure on that shoulder or spine.

Regular Crunches, do them every 2 days. 100 every morning and leg raises 100 as well. Also do planks if your spine can handle it

Regular crunches and leg raises for someone with spinal fusion? And planks for someone with recent shoulder surgery and currently has frozen shoulder? I'd be much more concerned with the shoulder handling planks vs the spine. The plank is GENERALLY considered safe post spinal fusion recovery (check with the professionals you're working with).

It's great you want to help people but as we all have different experiences respectful back and forth discussion is great.

Like I clearly told the poster; work around the injury; if it aggravates it, don’t do it.
  • sandboxfitness
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I respect the fact that you are trying to help people. I just wanted to get that out of the way first. I have to disagree that you need to go to failure for muscle gain. I mean one could argue form failure vs muscle failure, but that is not the point of this post. There is ample research that suggest even going to an Rpe of 7-8 can be more than sufficient to build muscle. Volume can be used in the form of drop sets and rest pause sets, for those who are on time constraints. Hell, from what I have seen. Untrained lifter can pretty much make gains going the bare minimum and just need to be consistent with workouts. Honestly, I am not the "lifting" expert. More of the, "what drives a human to eat guy.", so I am not even going to approach you on dietary advice. Best wishes. I hope you succeed on trying to help people.

It’s a huge debatable topic. that’s what worked for a lot of my clients; and so I implant it. gaining some muscle vs gaining muscle to reach potential
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

Thanks for the offer!

Thanks again!

Like I clearly told the poster; work around the injury; if it aggravates it, don’t do it.

Not sure how one does planks working around a recent shoulder surgery and a frozen shoulder, but yeah if you can go for it.

dxdy68ss7prs.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    omfederico wrote: »
    It’s been maybe a week and I haven’t lost a single pound. I haven’t gone over my calorie intake and I have been exercising. What am I doing wrong?

It’s hard to tell you when I know nothing about your fitness plan or calorie intake
    But in general the scale is not a good measurement of progress; it’s one of the options to track progress but not the best.
    Take pictures every week and compare them together.
    If you started a weight lifting program when you start dieting; you could be gaining muscle mass especially if you worked out so little in the past.
    Maybe a week? Always weigh the same day every week upon waking up, weighing everyday will discourage you.
    Sometimes on paper the calorie intake is good but in real life it doesn’t translate.
    What I would do; finish the week strong; weigh in the morning : I would suggest Sunday, if you didn’t lose weight; I’d decrease 100 calories from carbs or add a cardio session of 30 min.

Rule of thumb; don’t drop calories unless your weight isn’t moving for 2 weeks

How much muscle mass do you think someone would gain in a week?

Not much, but if you been dieting and exercising for a while when dieting; you’ll gain enough to stall your weight loss.
    I can show you a video of one of the people I coached, she went from 170 to 165 a totally different physique.
    It’s mind blowing.

I have no doubt that one can undergone remarkable physical transformations through fitness, I just didn't think it was the issue at play here if someone hasn't lost in "maybe a week."

It’s very hard to answer “why I didn’t lose weight” questions if I’m not responsible for your fitness plan or know nothing about it.

But I can tell why maybe you few reasons why you didn’t lose weight..

I hope you guys understand

It can be hard!

Within seven days or less without weight loss, I think unrealistic expectations (as in, someone expects to immediately and rapidly lose weight) would be more likely than muscle gains. If exercise is the culprit in such a short period of time, we're probably looking at water retention related to new fitness routines.

Water retention related to new fitness routines is the most likely culprit in my mind as well, based on what I have seen here on the forums and my own experience of GAINING seven pounds when I started weightlifting.

The answer invariably lies somewhere on this chart:

cs17oe75dcn0.jpg
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited May 2021
    I’m here to help ppl; you can disagree with the advice I give; if they want to take it, fine; if not that’s fine too. it’s free and free speech. Don’t come into my thread to argue with me cause I don’t care what you have to say. you can disagree all you want.. I’m not here for a debate; I know my stuff and I got many ppl into shape..

Have you?

I certainly would be the last to disagree or agree with you because I have NO experience.

All I'm trying to do is maintain my weight and remain active in my life. I'm 67, feel good, no major problems with my health. I'm not a strong person, no lifting or anything like that, just want to get rid of the flab from my belly. :( Healthy weight but four children, plus a life of yo-yo dieting and my stomach never deflated.

What do you think about using the hula hoop to whittle the waist area down a little but? Or just plain walking(lots of up and down hills where I live).

Thanks!!
  • sandboxfitness
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Have you?

I certainly would be the last to disagree or agree with you because I have NO experience.

All I'm trying to do is maintain my weight and remain active in my life. I'm 67, feel good, no major problems with my health. I'm not a strong person, no lifting or anything like that, just want to get rid of the flab from my belly. :( Healthy weight but four children, plus a life of yo-yo dieting and my stomach never deflated.

What do you think about using the hula hoop to whittle the waist area down a little but? Or just plain walking(lots of up and down hills where I live).

Thanks!!

Honestly hun; any movement is good. Stay active; stay healthy.. enjoy life. don’t focus too much on anything else but your health and well being.

Walk, play with your grandkids, hula hoop.. keep moving everyday. your heart will appreciate it.
    Keep a well balanced diet of green veggies, protein and healthy fats in your diet
  • sandboxfitness

From experience; no.

So that's it? Just "no"? No advice?

there’s few problems here
    -you don’t track your calories
    -you have limited equipment
    -you try to incorporate protein and don’t know how much you’re getting.

Let’s fix this
    -track calories and stay in a calorie surplus
    -track protein intake and keep it 1g of lean body weight

You might not be able to keep 100% of your strength but muscle memory is great and you’ll get there when you do get back into your heavy lifting
  • sandboxfitness
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    omfederico wrote: »
    It’s been maybe a week and I haven’t lost a single pound. I haven’t gone over my calorie intake and I have been exercising. What am I doing wrong?

It’s hard to tell you when I know nothing about your fitness plan or calorie intake
    But in general the scale is not a good measurement of progress; it’s one of the options to track progress but not the best.
    Take pictures every week and compare them together.
    If you started a weight lifting program when you start dieting; you could be gaining muscle mass especially if you worked out so little in the past.
    Maybe a week? Always weigh the same day every week upon waking up, weighing everyday will discourage you.
    Sometimes on paper the calorie intake is good but in real life it doesn’t translate.
    What I would do; finish the week strong; weigh in the morning : I would suggest Sunday, if you didn’t lose weight; I’d decrease 100 calories from carbs or add a cardio session of 30 min.

Rule of thumb; don’t drop calories unless your weight isn’t moving for 2 weeks

How much muscle mass do you think someone would gain in a week?

Not much, but if you been dieting and exercising for a while when dieting; you’ll gain enough to stall your weight loss.
    I can show you a video of one of the people I coached, she went from 170 to 165 a totally different physique.
    It’s mind blowing.

I have no doubt that one can undergone remarkable physical transformations through fitness, I just didn't think it was the issue at play here if someone hasn't lost in "maybe a week."

It’s very hard to answer “why I didn’t lose weight” questions if I’m not responsible for your fitness plan or know nothing about it.

But I can tell why maybe you few reasons why you didn’t lose weight..

I hope you guys understand

It can be hard!

Within seven days or less without weight loss, I think unrealistic expectations (as in, someone expects to immediately and rapidly lose weight) would be more likely than muscle gains. If exercise is the culprit in such a short period of time, we're probably looking at water retention related to new fitness routines.

Water retention related to new fitness routines is the most likely culprit in my mind as well, based on what I have seen here on the forums and my own experience of GAINING seven pounds when I started weightlifting.

The answer invariably lies somewhere on this chart:

cs17oe75dcn0.jpg

I like this chart.. very well put together
This discussion has been closed.