Drop nicotine/quit vaping, receive water retention?

gothchiq
gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
I was vaping a very light nicotine mixture (but vaping a lot). I decided to quit because I was annoyed by the sticky glycerin residue being left on my belongings. Immediately upon quitting I gained 3 lb. This 3 lb has stayed with me for a week now. I know about the typical quitting nicotine/gaining weight issue so I deliberately cut back on calorie dense foods, have carefully measured calorie intake etc. Activity level has stayed the same (moderate) between purposeful exercise and physical work involved in doing repairs around here. I already eat low carb because I'm diabetic.

Does anyone have experience with retaining water after quitting any form of nicotine? This is weird. My wedding ring is tight. I am drinking water as usual, neither more nor less, the generally recommended 8 cups a day.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    No idea, but congrats on quitting! :)
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,204 Member
    Any time you make a noticeable change to the chemicals going into your body, water retention is to be expected while your system readjusts. Keep doing what you're doing, maybe drink even more water, especially since you regularly exercise. What you're experiencing is normal.
  • gothchiq
    Right, water chug it is! lol. Can't hurt (obvs I'm not going to extremes.)
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited May 2021
    Definitely chug water, and if weight gain was very sudden it likely is water.

But there is also this:
    https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/quit-smoking-without-gaining-weight#:~:text="You burn about 250 calories,and many people gain weight."

I've tracked down a few studies that show this same thing. Nicotine increases TDEE and is part of the mechanism for why people gain weight while quitting. Fortunately those studies also show it's just a few pounds overall and it evens out again.

(not saying these are right, just that there are some)
  • gothchiq
    The 3 pounds overnight were literally overnight. I thought it would be a fluke and come right back off. But it stayed. Now, clearly I didn't exceed my calorie allowance by 10,500 kcal that day lol! The only thing I could pinpoint as a change was cold turkeying the vape because I had become so annoyed by cleaning off sticky glycerin residue.