Ask me anything - nutrition coach

Replies

• jnettaj1973
    jnettaj1973 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi
    My husband just got his lab tests back that show he is diabetic and has high cholesterol. Any suggestions on a specialized diet?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited May 2021
    Oops! Read it wrong.
  • sandboxfitness
    sandboxfitness Posts: 69 Member

@sandboxfitness

You've made 41 posts as of right now, and you have acquired 244 "Disagrees."

That's impressive. Not really, that says to me that in fact you don't really have all the answers.

Maybe take a step back and understand that there are many people here who know at least as much as you do and they WILL call you out on it. Coming into a 16 year-running community forum without knowing your audience is bound to be problematic.

Lol I don’t care if people disagrees. They’re in a bubble and don’t want to hear anything else other what they read on here.
  • sandboxfitness
    How much water is too much? I generally drink 12-15 glasses a day and in warmer weather as of now I think I'm drinking more. I think I lost count today :/ but let's say 18. I tend to sweat a lot so I feel faint.

1 gallon a day is an ideal water intake

For who? Everyone in general?

Yes, everyone is general unless you have CHF or Kidney disease. anything else; a gallon a day.
  • sandboxfitness
    Hi
    My husband just got his lab tests back that show he is diabetic and has high cholesterol. Any suggestions on a specialized diet?

Is he over weight ?
    Does he have any other medical problems?
    Did he follow up with his doctor ?
  • mylittlechocobo
    mylittlechocobo Posts: 9 Member

I’m gonna assume here that visible abs means you’re trying to lose fat.

I’d lower your calories to 1600 a week. Leave your rest days and workout days the same, if you’re always going above your fat intake; why don’t you increase your fat intake and your lower carbs?

You have to hit your protein intake, it’s very essential you do so to keep your muscle mass and protein has a high thermic food effect that can help with metabolism.

Well my goal is visible abs so if the way to do it is lose fat then yes.

I will adjust the calorie intake and as far as the fat/carbs that's essentially what my diet has been, I increased the fat and lowered the carbs, I was just curious if it had any negative impact because it differed from the macros that were suggested (I used an online calorie/macro calculator).

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited May 2021
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Are full body workouts any good, or should I just focus on something like chest/triceps or bicep and shoulder workouts? I have three different full body workouts that I alternate every other day right now. I want to get stronger, but I would Really like to look better with my shirt off, tbh.

any workout programs are good if you are consistent with them. Choose one and stick to it for 6 weeks and if you like it, continue with it

you can do upper body, lower body; upper body, lower body, rest for few, and repeat.

Take all your lifts to failure. 12-10 reps, life heavy with good form and keep your protein high.
    Thanks for the offer!

What are easy core strengthening exercies I can do at home? I need to be mindful of spinal fusion c5 -c7 as well as recent shoulder surgery with bicep involvment and shoulder has now frozen.
    I walk alot and have noticed back discomfort which I am attributing to lack of movement in my arms as well as poor core strenght.

Thanks again!
    Speedy recovery. I would do workouts that do not aggravate your injury. Only you can know what triggers your injuries. Work around them; don’t do something that puts more pressure on that shoulder or spine.

Regular Crunches, do them every 2 days. 100 every morning and leg raises 100 as well. Also do planks if your spine can handle it

Regular crunches and leg raises for someone with spinal fusion? And planks for someone with recent shoulder surgery and currently has frozen shoulder? I'd be much more concerned with the shoulder handling planks vs the spine. The plank is GENERALLY considered safe post spinal fusion recovery (check with the professionals you're working with).

OP, please don't do this without consulting your surgeon or therapist.

It's great you want to help people but as we all have different experiences respectful back and forth discussion is great.
    Actually crunches (when done correctly) are okay for spinal fusion. I would incorporate vacuums lying on the back as well as kneeling supermans to reduce pressure on the shoulder if they can't plank.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Think the bolded would be dependent on the individual and particular procedure that was perfumed. They should consult their physician and/or physical therapist.
    I do a lot of rehab work with people who come from surgery and spinal fusions are common. Once they get clearance to work out and clear basic physical therapy protocols, they were sent to us to further their progress (when I worked at Stanford LifestyleRx). Depending on how the crunch is performed, it is relatively safe for those with fusion as long as correctly taught and performed. Are there times when it's not safe? Yes, when there isn't any chance for flexion in the spine. But most spinal fusions aren't that restrictive.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And I guess that is my point. When I took the ACE PT class the materials and the instructor really hammered home the point that in the case of anyone coming off surgery, the personal trainer should be working/consulting with the doctor and/or therapist to make sure anything the trainer is doing is appropriate.

Sounds like you have that covered.
  • sandboxfitness

I’m gonna assume here that visible abs means you’re trying to lose fat.

I’d lower your calories to 1600 a week. Leave your rest days and workout days the same, if you’re always going above your fat intake; why don’t you increase your fat intake and your lower carbs?

You have to hit your protein intake, it’s very essential you do so to keep your muscle mass and protein has a high thermic food effect that can help with metabolism.

Well my goal is visible abs so if the way to do it is lose fat then yes.

I will adjust the calorie intake and as far as the fat/carbs that's essentially what my diet has been, I increased the fat and lowered the carbs, I was just curious if it had any negative impact because it differed from the macros that were suggested (I used an online calorie/macro calculator).

As long the calories are the same, and you’re keeping the protein the same. carbs and fats have little no impact on body composition since you’re in a calorie deficit
  • sandboxfitness
    How much water is too much? I generally drink 12-15 glasses a day and in warmer weather as of now I think I'm drinking more. I think I lost count today :/ but let's say 18. I tend to sweat a lot so I feel faint.

1 gallon a day is an ideal water intake
    Actually there's no scientific studies that support that. The gallon of water thing is a broscience gym fallacy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I never said there was a study, I like to tell people to drink a gallon a day instead of telling them to keep their water high. Ppl like measurements instead of vague statements
  • sandboxfitness
    I’m here to help ppl; you can disagree with the advice I give; if they want to take it, fine; if not that’s fine too. it’s free and free speech. Don’t come into my thread to argue with me cause I don’t care what you have to say. you can disagree all you want.. I’m not here for a debate; I know my stuff and I got many ppl into shape..

Have you?
    I have. 35+ years in the business with over 700 clients. I'll just say that if you have advice and it gets scrutinized, give the reason why you give it. In fact, I've also learned things here from others being on here for over 10 years. I'm good at what I do, but I'm also willing to learn from others if what they are touting has legit scientific back up to it. I don't know it all. There are likely some who are much better in knowledge in certain areas of fitness and health than myself. Remember if you ain't learning, you ain't growing.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The is the thing, I don’t have to; unless the OP asked why. I don’t get paid for this so if anyone else agreed with it then oh well; it’s open forum; I’m not here to debate
    So are you here to just give YOUR advice or actual teach? Because there's actually a difference. I mean when someone tells you they heard that drinking apple cider vinegar accelerates weight loss, are you just going to accept it or ask why? Looking at an answer from the receivers point of view can do wonders for your own progress in fitness and health when you take into consideration their concerns. You're on an open forum so the OP's aren't the only ones reading the advice. You'll have lurkers too who don't engage in conversation, so to clarify actually puts you in better standing. By not answering a question, advice becomes suspicious to some.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I teach the people who ask questions.
This discussion has been closed.