Burning tootsies and labored lungs

Options
Ok, so here's the thing.... when I run on the treadmill or use the elliptical after a little bit my feet start to burn. However, when i walk/jog on pavement, doesn't happen. On top of that, I have a hard time breathing. I've tried doing the breathing in through my nose out the mouth, but when i do that, after only a few breaths, I feel like I'm suffocating and not getting enough air. I don't push myself when i jog (learned the hard way the 1st time, lol), but I do try to walk a song, then jog a song. I am getting better, but I'm still having breathing issues. Any body have an ideas to help me out??

Replies

• GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When running, breathe through both your mouth and nose. Your nose alone can't supply enough oxygen to your body while running. The more oxygen you can get in, the less lactic acid buildup while running and thus less burn.

What I mean by breathe through both is inhale through both, exhale through both.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    hmmm...I used to have problems regulating my breathing and I'd get out of breath before my body would get tired...I'm not really sure how I over came that except that I just kept pushing myself. But you may go to the doctor and make sure you don't have exercised induced asthma...may only get bad when you exercise. Taking albuterol prior to running can really help this!
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    Try slowing your pace down. Also sounds like you may need to be fitted for some running shoes. Consider going to a reputable store in your area that specializes in running gear and be fitted for your shoes.

Good luck and happy running!
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I tried the whole breathe through your nose and it didn't work for me. Breathe through your mouth as well. Keep at it, it will get easier with time. promise. =)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    First off...make sure your shoes fit properly. My shoes that I run in are at least 1/2 a size bigger than my regular shoes. Also...it sounds as if your lungs are not used to being used at a higher level. It'll take time to develop a good intake...I still struggle due to my asthma and I've been running for over a year now. I'm able to run a mile and then walk 1/2 and then run another. My lungs still burn but I push through it. You may want to get checked by your doctor to see if you have a mild form of asthma. Good luck!
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too when I used the eliptical. I'm at a different gym now, so different eliptical and those make my knees hurt, so I don't use them. BUT, are you taking any suppliments with magnesium in them? I was taking magnesium because I'd heard it's supposed to be good for keeping blood sugar up, and found out it also causes neuropathy in extremities.... tingling and numbness in your hands and feet. Learned that the hard way. When it was happening to me on the eliptical, I was told it was because of how I "stood".

Not sure about the breathing thing, though. Do you have asthma?
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I DO have asthma. I don't have any more attacks since I moved to Key West. I do have inhalers and will try taking a puff the next time I go for a walk/jog and see if that helps. Getting better shoes MIGHT be a problem though....... I live on a tiny little island that does not have much to offer in that area.... and have no idea how to even figure out what kind of shoes to start off with. It's only on the treadmill or elliptical that they burn though, not on pavement. And I also don't jog any faster then probably 5mph. If I went any slower, I'd be fast paced walking, lol.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Who would ever tell a runner to breathe through the nose? Were they trying to kill you? Breathe through both, you need the oxygen.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I DO have asthma. I don't have any more attacks since I moved to Key West. I do have inhalers and will try taking a puff the next time I go for a walk/jog and see if that helps. Getting better shoes MIGHT be a problem though....... I live on a tiny little island that does not have much to offer in that area.... and have no idea how to even figure out what kind of shoes to start off with. It's only on the treadmill or elliptical that they burn though, not on pavement. And I also don't jog any faster then probably 5mph. If I went any slower, I'd be fast paced walking, lol.

Yep...it'll take time for your lungs to adjust. I used to have your exact problem...it's taken me nearly a year to go a mile at a 6mph pace and not get winded. Can you make it to the main land at some point and get fitted in a good running store? If so find 2-3 pairs that fit and then order them online. I know that shipping might be expensive...so order at least 2-3 pairs if you can to save on shipping costs. I have family in Hawaii and they hate shopping because they have to order most everything, lol. At least in Key West you're much closer.
  • jea1668
    Options
    Depending on how long the songs are you might want to not do full songs running/walking...i used to be out of breath way faster than my body was ready to stop jogging, i stopped trying to go til i was tired and instead started doing 1minute jogging one walk and did that for a few weeks and now my breathing is wayyyy better! before it was terrible, was almost gasping for breath before my legs even started gettign sore! you could also try the C25K program you can find on the internet, i know a ton who have had a lot of success with it! i also used to get the burning feet when jogging on treadmill, new shoes and losing a few lbs got rid of it for me!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    btw, you can't breathe through BOTH your nose and your mouth at the same time... you have to alternate or pick one. Your mouth would provide more volume, but your nose would filter out some allergens and things that could be irritating your lungs.

How about some gel inserts for your shoes? Thicker socks?