Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Tess holiday saying she is in recovery from anorexia

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    This seems like a publicity stunt...like "Hey, look at me, even big girls can be anorexic." Which, to be classified as having anorexia nervosa, no they can't.

Did she used to have it, before she was big? I mean, I guess that could make sense, but still...
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Seems like definitely has some sort of mental health issue. She is morbidly obese, hopefully she gets help.
  • Busy911
    Busy911 Posts: 28 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, yeah she really tried to starve herself since she was little. Unfortunately, her body doesn't show that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm not sure results from starving oneself would be fortunate..... in fact, it wouldn't be....
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I.

I absolutely know people can be overweight and have anorexia. Weight loss doesn't happen overnight, even if you're starving yourself and starve/binge cycles can be real things, too and it can absolutely stem from psychological disorders, and a disordered relationship with food.

From what I've seen of this woman, though, and her aggressive stance on HAES and some shaming she has done of anyone who wants to lose weight, I suspect she's pulling some kind of damned stunt to prove that trying to lose weight is unhealthy but being obese is fine.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Edited to add: I just searched a little and found that there is a separate disorder called atypical anorexia, where the patient has a normal or above normal body weight. Perhaps this is Tess's diagnosis - she doesn't actually say that she has anorexia nervosa.[/quote]

Actually, that is what she did say:
    "Y’all don’t know how science & body works huh. My technical diagnosis is anorexia nervosa and yes, I’m still not ashamed. I’m too damn happy for y’all to even come close to dimming my shine."

I suppose it is possible that at one time in her life this was true, but if she were making attempts at recovery, I think the pendulum has swung too far. I do not mean this in a mean or catty way, but it would appear she replaced one extreme for another, which isn't really recovery. Sadly, though, based on various comments she has made over the recent year or so, I'm not buying this claim. I don't think it is so much a publicity stunt, but more like a shield to dismiss any comments about weight/health that may be directed at her. Very similar to how addicts behave when they are in denial and are trying to convince themselves that their situation is beyond their control. And I don't believe for one second she is truly as "happy" as she claims to be.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Note: I don't think she is saying she is fully recovered, I think she says she is in "recovery," which I read as trying to actively trying to get well in treatment. So I think it's a bit pre-mature for us to speculate that she has replaced one extreme with another. We simply don't know how she might progress from this point in her life.

I don't doubt that she isn't as happy as she has claimed to be: she says in her statement that she's been punishing her body her whole life. I think this is more a commentary on having an ED than it is on her in particular.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I am as skeptical as I can possibly be about her claim to be anorexic. Some type of ED? No doubt. But as claimed.... I think not.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I just don't know how she can claim to have anorexia her whole life when she is morbidly obese. She may have an ED, but certainly not anorexia nervosa...
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Is this a good point to say that one of the criteria of anorexia is fear of being or becoming fat. Patholoical fear?

...She's either lying about this or has lied about her entire personality to this point.