Politics

Options
Hotelsma
Hotelsma Posts: 404 Member
Tell You something interesting happened today. I met this guy thru a friend. We both have become very close over the years but suddenly now both of them have become almost like enemies just over politics. I’ve noticed this being a trend people loosing friendships over politicians who ultimately don’t give a dam about us.

Replies

• Hotelsma
    Options
    @lx1x have I started something 😀
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    Political discussions tend to be divisive.
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    Maybe it’s safe to delete. 😂 I think really my point was about the friendship between then 3.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Nothing new really...just maybe more pronounced with social media and whatnot. My grandmother is 95 years old and I remember her very good advice long ago to not discuss politics or religion with family or friends. Social media has made is such that those things are just out there in the open...and frankly I wonder sometimes if people realize that when they're responding to things on social media that anyone who follows them can see what they write. Social media tends to let people be unfiltered and you sometimes realize people aren't who you thought they were.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Hotelsma wrote: »

You gotta be careful. MFP really doesn't like any topic that can be considered divisive. Things about politics, religion and gender (politics) tend to get locked down really quickly because people just do *not* know how to remain civil.

Heck, I was part of a conversation in the debate forum about cancer and chemotherapy and that got locked down and deleted because people were peddling woo or somehow suggesting that people who died from cancer or opted for chemo and didn't survive were somehow "less willful" than those who were fortunate to survive.

It was a *kitten* show... and even worse because the OP, myself and a couple of other people were currently dealing with having family members in the position of needing chemotherapy. It was just.. not pretty at the end.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    This is not me. It's Scott Beach....heard on the Dr Demento show and I couldn't resist.

The audio NEEDS to be heard tho but I can't cut and paste urls on my tablet. And there's a reason there aren't paragraph breaks. :p

Religion and Politics Lyrics
    Religion and politics often make some people lose all perspective and give way to ranting and raving and carrying on like emotional children. They either refuse to discuss it with reason or else they prefer argumentum ad homeinem, which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion. Well, anyhow, not long ago I was talking about the elections and how the campaigns were ignoring the issues and sticking instead to invective and personal c*** that had nothing to do with the substantive problems of running a government (which is all true as you know if you followed the speeches and so-called debates of the candidates). Anyhow, one of the guys I was talking with said not a word in the whole conversation except at the end when he suddenly chuckled and said we were all full of *kitten* and why didn't we all go live in Russia or China if that was the way we all hated the United States of America! Next thing you know, the whole blooming discussion is more like a brawl and the epithets flew thick and fast and the noise was incredible! Someone said "son of a *****" and I think he said "b******!" (I couldn't be sure; it was all so confusing.) Well, anyhow, I was attempting to get it all back on a rational level. I tried, for example, to talk to the one who had started it all and I asked him just what did he mean we were all full of *kitten*? Was he making a statement of fact as he knew it and where was his documentation to back up his claim? I think Socrates would have been proud of the way I refuted his argument. That is, I *tried* to refute it. But all he could offer by way of rebuttal was more of the same: about how we were all full of *kitten*. But he wouldn't say why; he just kept on repeating it. That and the part about Russia and China and Communist dupes. And I'll have to confess that I got a bit angry and told him to stuff his ideas up his *** (which you don't have to tell me is hardly a way to convince anyone in an argument). Then he got salty and threatened to give me a punch in the mouth if I didn't shut up. And I really got hot and the others did, too. And we all beat the *kitten* out of Mr. Conservative. And, after all, he had only himself to be blamed. This is still a free country and anyone telling a fellow like me "brother, you're full of *kitten*" better be good and ready to answer politely when asked if he'd care to say WHY!
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nothing new really...just maybe more pronounced with social media and whatnot. My grandmother is 95 years old and I remember her very good advice long ago to not discuss politics or religion with family or friends. Social media has made is such that those things are just out there in the open...and frankly I wonder sometimes if people realize that when they're responding to things on social media that anyone who follows them can see what they write. Social media tends to let people be unfiltered and you sometimes realize people aren't who you thought they were.

@cwolfman13 your grandmarges advice is spot on.

You’re also right about social media too. I asked today in my office how many are on Facebook still which I left years and years ago party because of politics and a lot are and I’ve seen friendships crumble because of it.
  • Hotelsma
    Options

You gotta be careful. MFP really doesn't like any topic that can be considered divisive. Things about politics, religion and gender (politics) tend to get locked down really quickly because people just do *not* know how to remain civil.

Heck, I was part of a conversation in the debate forum about cancer and chemotherapy and that got locked down and deleted because people were peddling woo or somehow suggesting that people who died from cancer or opted for chemo and didn't survive were somehow "less willful" than those who were fortunate to survive.

It was a *kitten* show... and even worse because the OP, myself and a couple of other people were currently dealing with having family members in the position of needing chemotherapy. It was just.. not pretty at the end.

Wow!!! Didn’t know mfp got down like that. I’ve been on mfp for years but only recently got myself
    Involved in the community thing and wasn’t aware of the etiquette around it so forgive me hence why some of my posts have been quite weird with polls on cakes and chocolate and other random stuff lol I stick to those topics.
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    @glassyo will give a listen
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    it's really amazing how much better i get along with people when we just agree to not talk politics. It's an unspoken rule between me and my dad.

And it's surprisingly easy to not bring it up.

But I am not prepared to lose friends over it unless/until it changes from a political philosophy to delusion.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    it's really amazing how much better i get along with people when we just agree to not talk politics. It's an unspoken rule between me and my dad.

Why is that? Honest question. Whatever you believe, whatever side you fall on... is there no room for differing ideas/conversation?
  • Hotelsma
    edited May 2021
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Why is that? Honest question. Whatever you believe, whatever side you fall on... is there no room for differing ideas/conversation?

I think it depends on how strong people’s political affiliations are. For example I disagree with a lot of politics with people in my office but I get along with but I know people who politics is so strong they don’t care who they upset just as the people I referred to in my first post. I guess it goes down to personality
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    The whole time I was married we either both voted or neither voted. Same net outcome either way.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

Wow!!! Didn’t know mfp got down like that. I’ve been on mfp for years but only recently got myself
    Involved in the community thing and wasn’t aware of the etiquette around it so forgive me hence why some of my posts have been quite weird with polls on cakes and chocolate and other random stuff lol I stick to those topics.

I like weird. :)

There are certain people I would never ever discuss politics and religion with *ahem my brother* because he's as arrogant and close-minded as they come. If someone cannot listen to other people's opinions politely and realize there is right/wrong on both sides of every issue, then I'll talk to them about the weather. It's all in how things are presented and unfortunately, those are 2 very hot buttons to push.

I missed that whole chemo *kitten* show and am glad I did. Unbelievable how people can be sometimes. :( We're all in this world together.
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    @ReenieHJ if you don’t like weird then you must be weird lol

This is the problem people hear but don’t listen and just like this pandemic we are in this together so we might aswel get along 🤷🏽‍♂️
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    MFP has been very unreliable lately. Every day for about a week I have been unable to post my food diary. Some of my comments don't show up and people's profile pages don't load, report deactivated.

All that being said; to make up for the glitches we should have a little leeway in the forums. If the issues continue and we're restricted in the forums people may find other platforms.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Y'all talking about broken friendships and loud arguements. Y'all haven't seen the social media shitstorm in the developing world where politics or any social issues are concerned. It's full of rape threats I've heard. Me? I stay away got enough problems of my own. Don't want some village idiot describing in lurid detail what hed like to shove up my *kitten*.