Sleep and Stress is Killing ME

Options
So I went to the doctor because it is and was not making sense to me that I am exercising hard, watching my eating habits and yet the scale bounces back and forth. His answer, "You are not getting enough sleep, which is increasing cortisol, and if you are stressing it is holding on to your weight." When I am having a rough day at work, I usually go and and pound it out in the gym, lately it has helped but also lowered my energy level. I am so drained. I am running out of options here, please my MFP family, HELP!!!

Replies

• whisperingdragon
    Options
    You definilty have to get the proper amount of sleep. I notice that I gain weight too when I do not get enough sleep. :flowerforyou:
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    I take melatonin. It's the sleep hormone. I take it right before bed and then listen to calming, relaxing music while I lay in bed. Usually I fall a sleep within 10 minutes. My favorite CD is called sleep. My hubby's is called Peace and Quiet.

When I had problems with stress I was told to use the CDs anytime in the day and especially at night. Now I only use it when I want to fall a sleep because I've trained myself to fall a sleep with it.

Also try going for a message at a spa near by when you want to treat yourself. I feel like a wet noodle afterwards and get the best sleep ever that night.
  • momma_kathleen
    Options
    you have got to try to find a balance...i am always ending up going too far with either the exercise, the calorie counting, or working too much, and not getting enough rest and balance...try to think in terms of just a life that you can maintain and live with...enough sleep, enough exercise, enough food, enough laughter...also, i am finding that if i just keep it up even though the scale tells me no good news, it WILL come off! hang in there...relax...we didnt get to this point in a month, we cant expect to lose it all in a month either!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Do whatever it takes to get sleep!!! Even if it requires meds.
    I had problems with sleep for about a decade. It got even worse when I was promoted into a really stressful job. My terrible sleep contributed to me having less energy and I'm sure I was probably less mentally alert. These things resulted in me being less efficient, which in turn caused even more stress. It's a vicious cycle that you don't want to get caught in. Due to downsizing, I was laid off. About 3 1/2 months later, I slept through the night for the first time in longer than I can even remember. I have more energy, I am more active, and I think I am more capable of dealing with life in general. It is worth whatever it takes. I would think that working out would tire you out so that you could sleep better. I wasn't exercising during my bad sleep years, so I don't know.
    I used to not value sleep. Now I almost worship it.
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I actually Like sleep when I can get it. My job is very stressful and I try to leave all of it at work, but even when I go to sleep sometimes I toss and turn. Sometimes I have to take sleeping pills both prescribed and over the counter to rest all the way.
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with the meds. Our bodies are meant to survive without meds, so there has to be some other options. Balance is the key- so maybe have a checklist to see if you are meeting the needs of what your body is needing at the time- for example, I get low grade headaches quite often and I know for a fact that it is the lack of water, so I would make a mental note that I need to be drinking more water throughout the day, so I ask you - are you up to par in drinking enough liquids? Are you getting the recommended amount of sleep each night- for me I need about 8 hours to function, so I need to make sure I am in bed everynight at 9 p.m.(as you can see I didn't meet that goal tonight- had a late nap after church, so my schedule is off). Are you getting enough food during the day. I eat 6 meals a day and when I follow that along with my exercising the weight comes off. I try and eat 1 hour after waking up and then about every 3 hours after that. My last meal is about 3 hours before I go to bed. I have a hydro therapy tip for you. I will find it and send it too you. It has worked on my friends. It's basically dipping your feet in cold water for a few minutes and then go to bed and withing minutes you are sound asleep. Sleeping pills become addictive or your body gets used to them so then you will need to start taking more. Our bodies don't need the pills- so lets find some alternatives for you that work.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    Thanks guys. I actually Like sleep when I can get it. My job is very stressful and I try to leave all of it at work, but even when I go to sleep sometimes I toss and turn. Sometimes I have to take sleeping pills both prescribed and over the counter to rest all the way.

Sleeping pills have what is called a boomerange effect. You take a sleeping pill day one and then you are wired when it's time to sleep again. So then you take another sleeping pill because you can't sleep.

Melatonin is natural and is something your body already produces to go to sleep. My naturopath recommends it to me and my GP is good with it. It's not addictive. Some people experiance very vivid dreams with it. But I don't.

I also agree that balance is something to look into. Sometime with people-some time exercising-some time away from people relaxing maybe with a favorite CD. Equail parts. When I was stressed I was told this too by my Doctors.
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Melanotin didn't work for me because it did give me crazy dreams and nightmares, something I would never imagine. I am going to try to incorporate more exercise in my week, in hopes that will get me back on track
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking, quit sleeping and quit losing weight all at the same time. I think I can't sleep cuz of nicotine withdrawals. I didn't know not sleeping could affect losing weight. Now, should I try melatonin or start smoking again>
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Melatonin gave me scary horrible nightmares, too....

Sleep. Make you room dark, quiet, and start a wind-down routine an hour before sleep time. Just like you would do with kids.

Turn off the TV and computer, lower the lights, brush your teeth and put on your jammies. Get into bed. NO TV or computer in the bed. You can read for a little while, then lights out.

If you only use your bed for sleeping (and adult fun time) you'll be more likely to go to sleep when you turn off the light. Don't eat in bed or talk on the phone.