Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Hotelsma wrote: »
    @lx1x have I started something 😀

You gotta be careful. MFP really doesn't like any topic that can be considered divisive. Things about politics, religion and gender (politics) tend to get locked down really quickly because people just do *not* know how to remain civil.

Heck, I was part of a conversation in the debate forum about cancer and chemotherapy and that got locked down and deleted because people were peddling woo or somehow suggesting that people who died from cancer or opted for chemo and didn't survive were somehow "less willful" than those who were fortunate to survive.

It was a *kitten* show... and even worse because the OP, myself and a couple of other people were currently dealing with having family members in the position of needing chemotherapy. It was just.. not pretty at the end.

Wow!!! Didn’t know mfp got down like that. I’ve been on mfp for years but only recently got myself
    Involved in the community thing and wasn’t aware of the etiquette around it so forgive me hence why some of my posts have been quite weird with polls on cakes and chocolate and other random stuff lol I stick to those topics.

I like weird.

Good Morning.

• Busy911
    Busy911 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    MFP has been very unreliable lately. Every day for about a week I have been unable to post my food diary. Some of my comments don't show up and people's profile pages don't load, report deactivated.

All that being said; to make up for the glitches we should have a little leeway in the forums. If the issues continue and we're restricted in the forums people may find other platforms.

Absolutely. After all, we pay for the initiation, upkeep etc of the forum. Why do we allow censorship on a paid site that decides for us what is 'divisive'. Zuckerberg has a lot to answer for regarding censorship.

If you're rude or abusive, then I get it but if you're expressing an opinion that's 'divisive'......you get shut down? Not ok.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Y'all talking about broken friendships and loud arguements. Y'all haven't seen the social media shitstorm in the developing world where politics or any social issues are concerned. It's full of rape threats I've heard. Me? I stay away got enough problems of my own. Don't want some village idiot describing in lurid detail what hed like to shove up my *kitten*.

In my opinion, and my opinion only, all the social sites are just garbage. Bots, paid posters and trolls incite online "riots" and no constructive conversation takes place. I left FB 4 years ago or so and I never looked back. Your results may vary.

This is why I only get my news and social insights from Cat Fancy forums.

My brother, its as legitimate as any other site.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Y'all talking about broken friendships and loud arguements. Y'all haven't seen the social media shitstorm in the developing world where politics or any social issues are concerned. It's full of rape threats I've heard. Me? I stay away got enough problems of my own. Don't want some village idiot describing in lurid detail what hed like to shove up my *kitten*.

In my opinion, and my opinion only, all the social sites are just garbage. Bots, paid posters and trolls incite online "riots" and no constructive conversation takes place. I left FB 4 years ago or so and I never looked back. Your results may vary.

The political insight received from Cat Fancy is unparalleled.

That being said, I would like to urge everyone to support Mister Whiskers for US Senate.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

The political insight received from Cat Fancy is unparalleled.

That being said, I would like to urge everyone to support Mister Whiskers for US Senate.

I approve this message.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Our very BEST Friends are very opposite of us and we have withstood the past four years of gloating and fir the most part I will speak my mind for a moment then change the subject. However, this nonsense with ballot tampering and our new President not winning fair and square and the disrespectful comments and downright lies is wearing me thin! 😖😢
  • Hotelsma
    Hotelsma Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Our very BEST Friends are very opposite of us and we have withstood the past four years of gloating and fir the most part I will speak my mind for a moment then change the subject. However, this nonsense with ballot tampering and our new President not winning fair and square and the disrespectful comments and downright lies is wearing me thin! 😖😢

At this point just laugh it off. There is not point getting yourself wound up about it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    it's really amazing how much better i get along with people when we just agree to not talk politics. It's an unspoken rule between me and my dad.

Why is that? Honest question. Whatever you believe, whatever side you fall on... is there no room for differing ideas/conversation?

The problem is that politics has become people's personal identity. And if you disagree with a person's political beliefs, then you are attacking them personally.

Also, it used to be that political discussions were about differing opinions or philosophies, but assuming the same basic facts. Now, each side has their own "facts". If you can't agree on what's true or not, you can't begin to have a civilized discussion on an issue. There's no common starting point.

Good points, thank you.
  • Peachesand_cream
    Peachesand_cream Posts: 594 Member
    Options

You. You are my favorite! Carry on...❤️

@Motorsheen
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

You gotta be careful. MFP really doesn't like any topic that can be considered divisive. Things about politics, religion and gender (politics) tend to get locked down really quickly because people just do *not* know how to remain civil.

Heck, I was part of a conversation in the debate forum about cancer and chemotherapy and that got locked down and deleted because people were peddling woo or somehow suggesting that people who died from cancer or opted for chemo and didn't survive were somehow "less willful" than those who were fortunate to survive.

It was a *kitten* show... and even worse because the OP, myself and a couple of other people were currently dealing with having family members in the position of needing chemotherapy. It was just.. not pretty at the end.

Wow!!! Didn’t know mfp got down like that. I’ve been on mfp for years but only recently got myself
    Involved in the community thing and wasn’t aware of the etiquette around it so forgive me hence why some of my posts have been quite weird with polls on cakes and chocolate and other random stuff lol I stick to those topics.

I like weird.

Good Morning.

Not *that* weird.

Well, you do deserve credit for Cat Fancy. :)
  • Motorsheen
    edited May 2021
    Options

I like weird.

Good Morning.

Not *that* weird.

Drat.

Well, just remember.... you miss 100 % of the shots you don't take.
  • Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

I read an article on Friendster about how the special interest canine lobbyists (a.k.a. Big Dog) are actively trying to get those sites shut down.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I make a point not to discuss politics with friends because it will rarely end well. I have noticed some people being very vocal on social media and I often hide their posts. Usually these people are either very liberal or very conservative and I find their views annoying. I’m moderate so I really can’t relate to most extreme views.
  • JFinn26
    JFinn26 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Tread lightly. Politics, especially after last year, has made people more divisive. It’s not even the politics...it’s the fact that you have Fox/OAN/Newsmax propaganda and people are stuck in that echo chamber. There’s also the CNN/MSNBC crowd which are another echo chamber.

Then you have the realists that actually go to great lengths to find credible sources that use proper fact-checking to debunk misinformation...but god forbid you try to tell someone on the far left or far right that they’re wrong and show them factual information...you get labeled, they’ll claim it’s “fake news”.

The main issue, I think, is that the root of it isn’t residing in politics....it’s that there’s a serious lack of critical thinking anymore. People are spoon-fed garbage in their respective echo chambers and take it as fact regardless of what “side” their on...

• Hotelsma
    Options
    JFinn26 wrote: »
    Tread lightly. Politics, especially after last year, has made people more divisive. It’s not even the politics...it’s the fact that you have Fox/OAN/Newsmax propaganda and people are stuck in that echo chamber. There’s also the CNN/MSNBC crowd which are another echo chamber.

Then you have the realists that actually go to great lengths to find credible sources that use proper fact-checking to debunk misinformation...but god forbid you try to tell someone on the far left or far right that they’re wrong and show them factual information...you get labeled, they’ll claim it’s “fake news”.

The main issue, I think, is that the root of it isn’t residing in politics....it’s that there’s a serious lack of critical thinking anymore. People are spoon-fed garbage in their respective echo chambers and take it as fact regardless of what “side” their on...

@JFinn26 Well said
  • Hotelsma
    Options
    I think I’m doing with politics on here, I’ll stick to cakes chocolates and other random topics lol
  • Danw586
    Danw586 Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Truth