I don't understand why I am not losing.

Options
Dwade0981
Dwade0981 Posts: 13 Member
edited May 2021 in Motivation and Support
First please do not judge or if you have nothing but negativity to say just move on. don't need to hear it. i am probably going to be called a liar but.

Last week I got a scale and started using myfitnesspal. well nothing in my diet has changed and I eat the same foods, same amounts and all my cals from myfitnesspal is under what my tdee thingy should be. with little to no exercise and saying I need to maintain 3,610 cals to stay at my current weight. for the past week now I have been weighing food, been keeping track and marking everything I eat. my sodium intake is a little off the charts because of evrything being prepackaged/frozen meals produced etc.

today alone i am -483 in my 2300 sodium daily intake. so im over by 483. but my cals are good i have like 1.2k ish left for the day and just ate dinner. had two premade hamburger patties around 3oz each both with sliced cheese 60 cals each, and some of those prepackaged curly fries of arby's 2.8oz at 189 cals, etc. no bread no condiments since i had the fries with the patties. ive gone over the past week on myfitness and noticed only twice i have gone way over my cal intake but thats it.

my amounts of food have not changed at all, nothing has. so i don't get why im not losing weight if im constantly staying below my 3,610 cals per day to maintain my weight where its at. I am 519 to 520 lbs at 5'11" male aged 40.

by going off this past week of documenting everything. everything has been the same nothing has changed just me weighing food, marking it down on apps. thats it. so by this site alone I should be losing weight but im not.

Replies

• Lexigurl82mvp
    Lexigurl82mvp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m no fitness guru but I’m thinking your body needs a shock. To lose weight we have to be in a caloric deficit. How much carbs and sugar are you eating? How much exercise are you doing? Are you getting in enough cardio?
  • Dwade0981
    Options
    when i signed up it asked me how much workingout I do, I put none and it says my total cal intake is 3,610 per day under that to lose weight. carbs, idk, sugars not much at all i don't really drink sodas or eat stuff with sugar.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I’m no fitness guru but I’m thinking your body needs a shock. To lose weight we have to be in a caloric deficit. How much carbs and sugar are you eating? How much exercise are you doing? Are you getting in enough cardio?

Oh, if you have respectable evidence of the need to "shock" the body into weight loss. Please post it. My eyes would love to read it.
  • Lexigurl82mvp
    Lexigurl82mvp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dwade0981 wrote: »
    when i signed up it asked me how much workingout I do, I put none and it says my total cal intake is 3,610 per day under that to lose weight. carbs, idk, sugars not much at all i don't really drink sodas or eat stuff with sugar.

Hmmm. I definitely agree with some of the others have stated already, which is to increase movement and decrease your caloric intake. You’d be surprised at how many calories are in different things. Have you ever thought about consulting with a registered dietician or a nutritional counselor?
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thats an awful lot of salt, try cutting to around 2000, it'll drop off - especially without salt
  • Dwade0981
    Options
    jsiricos wrote: »
    Thats an awful lot of salt, try cutting to around 2000, it'll drop off - especially without salt

mfp says my sodium intake per day is 2300. but most everything that is bought or cooked is processed or prepackaged or frozen junk food like burritos etc. can't control it. if I didn't eat any of it i would literally starve from not eating at all ever.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So how is your sleeping and your water intake? I lose way faster if I'm drinking enough water and sleeping a full 8hrs. Also weigh in protical is a major factor. I weigh in after using the bathroom first thing in the morning no food in yet and I weigh in my birthday suit. Now the bigger I've been in the many years I've used MFP the more of a difference making sure I was as empty as possible made. As my husband says a person can lose 5 lbs in a *kitten* and gain 5lbs by the end of the night from eating and drinking. If you're digestive tract is to full, if you're wearing heavy clothes or if you've been eating to much sodium you'll weigh more than you should. If you're not sleeping you're not going to be seeing as big of a loss same as if you're not hydrating. Good luck!
  • Dwade0981
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    IF you're in a calorie deficit and your SODIUM is too high, then you're likely retaining water. Electrolyte imbalance definitely throws weight loss off. How much water do you drink? I consume over 4,000mgs a day of sodium, but I also drink a good amount of water to offset the water weight.

i been drinking diatomaceous earth for the past week as well, 2 teaspoons per day mixed in water. I should be drinking lots and lots of water, but I haven't been drinking much of anything lately. once a day if that I will have a dr pepper 20 oz or 16.9oz, but before i started the DE i was drinking water all day long nonstop almost. around 9 to 12, 16.9floz bottles full. but idk, i barely been touching anything to drink lately since i started the De which is bad bc I been told I need to drink tons of water after taking it but idk, I just been kinda going dehydrated like im not really thirsty at all and have to force anything to drink down my throat bc I been going without. as of the past few days.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So you need to drink wheather or not you want to and you need to do so continuously. Unless your doctor has said no artificially sweetened drinks I recomend Sprite zero, and carbonated flavored water and water with no calorie flavor additives like mio. Your body will hold weight vengfully if you don't hydrate and you'll mess up your kidney function.
  • dolorsit
    dolorsit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You say nothing in your diet has changed, you're eating the same foods and same amounts as previously, and you're not losing weight. It's good that you're measuring your intake, but where is your calorific deficit coming from? Presumably 2 pounds a week loss is not unreasonable at your weight, which requires a 1000 calorie per day deficit off your TDEE.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,426 Member
    Options
    Dwade0981 wrote: »
    jsiricos wrote: »

mfp says my sodium intake per day is 2300. but most everything that is bought or cooked is processed or prepackaged or frozen junk food like burritos etc. can't control it. if I didn't eat any of it i would literally starve from not eating at all ever.

So are you eating a lot of premade food? Are you weighing this as well? The weight of those can be way of compared to what's written on the package. Do you eat out as well? The calories can easily be twice as what's mentioned on the restaurant's website as people tend to serve more food.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Eating prepacked or takeout or restaurant food means high sodium and hidden calories. Sound like you're at maintenance. That means you have to create a deficit--which means eating a little less. You can still lose, you just have to find the way that'll work. You don't have to exercise to lose. It's better for overall wellbeing.

So, definitely up your water or non caloric beverages to address the sodium. Eat a little less, and give it another week or two. It's a learning curve. You have to find your sweet spot.
  • Dwade0981
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Eating prepacked or takeout or restaurant food means high sodium and hidden calories. Sound like you're at maintenance. That means you have to create a deficit--which means eating a little less. You can still lose, you just have to find the way that'll work. You don't have to exercise to lose. It's better for overall wellbeing.

So, definitely up your water or non caloric beverages to address the sodium. Eat a little less, and give it another week or two. It's a learning curve. You have to find your sweet spot.

huv1gy2dwr0l.png

this is what i had to eat yesterday, if i eat any less, i wouldn't be eating at all or would be very hungry. i had no choice in what was for dinner or breakfast, it is all that was here or made. i don't eat out takeout fast food etc. can't afford it. once a month i will eat fast food but that doesn't count.

And that Dr pepper I had yesterday, I hardly ever drink sodas, like once a week or once a month. so its kinda like a treat.

I ate breakfast at 5 am and then ate dinner at 530 pm, i hadn't eaten the rest of the day. so if i would have eaten just one of those biscuit things, I would been starving by dinner time.

and the burgers were without bread and no condiments on them. just the patty cooked with a slice of cheese on it and then some fries. yes weighed the fries and patties.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It's not just what you eat for one day--it's a week of what you eat or a month. You were within your calories yesterday. I might have tried to cut the Doritos, but in the long run it won't matter. With sausage, Doritos, and fries you're eating a lot of sodium. Sodium holds water and masks weight loss. For your well being, you should try to drink more. Diet drinks are OK. Water is cheap (I drink tap water, but I'm in Rome and our water is fantastic). Try drinking more fluids for a week. Are there any ways for you to work in some fruits and vegetables? They add to your fluid intake and have nutrients. Even an apple and a few carrots would be nice to add if you like them. Just keep thinking and trying. You can be a great success. Good luck.