New to Treadmill and Running - Advice

Options
Busy911
Busy911 Posts: 28 Member
edited May 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

I started using a treadmill on March 1 having done no exercise for over 15 years+ on doctors advice due to a malformed foot. But, I can't just sit and watch TV all day, so I hopped on and started briskly walking an hour every other day and now I can't seem to stop the urge to want to walk every single day.

Since I really didn't know what I was doing, I bought a Garmin a few weeks ago and started working in heart rate zones. One day, I'll do easy for an hour, the next I'll do aerobic and the next threshold. I love sweating, though, and pushing myself because I find it helps my mental health, so I spend a lot of time in threshold heart zone 4.

However, I started the Garmin 5k training program, yesterday, so intend to walk/run as scheduled which seems to be every other day and up to 4/5 days as the 11 week program evolves. I want to do more but I'm not sure about injury/burnout etc.

I would like to eventually run 10k and more but I've not really run anywhere since I was like 4 years old...ha.

Any advice would be welcome and thanks for your time!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You've done a good job getting started with running by starting out walking to build up your muscles and tendons and getting your joints used to the impact. A Couch to 5k program works well for many of us. When you do the running portions, keep the pace very easy. You should be able to speak whole sentences when you run. Don't do more than 3 days a week of running to start. When you're able to run 5k, then you can increase the number of days that you run, but I wouldn't do it at first. Your body needs time to heal. It is the rest days that allow your body to get stronger. OTOH, you can continue to walk on most of your non-running days. Just be sure to rest completely at least once a week or if your body demands it. If you decide you want to try racing (it is surprisingly fun) then you will need to run outdoors at least some of the time. It feels very different dealing with rougher surfaces and learning how to pace yourself instead of pushing a button to set your pace. Running outside also allows you to experience the world around you in different seasons, which is a lot more interesting than staring at your TM screen.

FWIW, I didn't start running until I was in my mid-50s. I pushed my body too hard the first year and got injured and wasn't able to run for 7 months. I started over. The first year back I ran some 5k, 10k and 15k races. The next year I ran a couple of half marathons. The year after than I ran my first marathon. It is very easy to push your body too hard, so back off when you start getting pain or overly tired.
  • Busy911
    Options
    Thanks! I will keep all of your advice in mind, very appreciated.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Just be consistent. If you're using a program to get to a 5K...don't over-do it (i.e. don't go faster or farther than the program just bc you feel good). Even repeat weeks if you need to. Overuse injuries are the most common for runners. If you're really serious about running longer distances regularly (like you said you want to run a 10K...so IDK how many miles you're planning on running per week...) --- try to incorporate some strength training and cross training to avoid injury.

What sucks about many running injuries is that they are pesky and can seem to be gone and then crop up again and again unless you kick it properly in the first place.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Look up the MAF method. it's exacltly what you want.

You're recommending a long, slow and tedious, but most of all HR based method without knowing whether TO falls within 10-15bpm of usual equations (hint: about 40% of a population doesn't). As someone who has a high max HR this equation would bring me down to walking. And I walk sick, long kms every week, without bringing my HR anywhere near running, and I won't be able to get it yet another 20-30bpm down so i'd eventually be able to run. hey, I've been at this for over 6 years.

What about just having fun, enjoying getting better, but most of all not stressing about HR?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Look up the MAF method. it's exacltly what you want.

this might be something to read: https://thenakedphysio.com/2019/06/17/heart-rate-formulas-how-reliable-are-they/comment-page-1/#comment-22693
    yes, it's a blog post, but sums up nicely the science behind HR equations, and the published work of Maffetone.
  • Busy911
    Options
    Thanks all!