Calorie cycling thoughts? Feeling overwhelmed!

Options
Hello all! I’m not new but I’ve never been here noire than 4 months at a time lol. I’m 5’5 and When i last left I was 230 and now I’m 260! 😬 I’m very uneducated in health matters and what works best but I’ve come across some sites that discuss calorie cycling like eating more on intense workout days and less on rest days..is this an efficient way to start? Also,1350 calorie goal seems too little since other websites said like 1500. I’m overwhelmed with where to start since I’d like to lose 100 pounds.. Never been this weight before. Any comments or suggestions are welcome :) I know it’s better to just start but.. y’all don’t know how many times I’ve started and never completed lol 😂 would like a successful outcome this time!

Replies

• SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hello all! I’m not new but I’ve never been here noire than 4 months at a time lol. I’m 5’5 and When i last left I was 230 and now I’m 260! 😬 I’m very uneducated in health matters and what works best but I’ve come across some sites that discuss calorie cycling like eating more on intense workout days and less on rest days..is this an efficient way to start? Also,1350 calorie goal seems too little since other websites said like 1500. I’m overwhelmed with where to start since I’d like to lose 100 pounds.. Never been this weight before. Any comments or suggestions are welcome :) I know it’s better to just start but.. y’all don’t know how many times I’ve started and never completed lol 😂 would like a successful outcome this time!

MFPs calorie target is without exercise...so when you do exercise you log it and get additional calories added to your target...so what you're describing is how MFP works in general.

Most calorie calculators are TDEE calculators which include exercise in your activity level when setting up...MFP is NOT a TDEE calculator which is why you log exercise after the fact. MFP is a NEAT method calculator. This is why most other calculators will give you more calories than MFP to start with...they are accounting for exercise up front. With MFP it's on the back end when you log it.

This makes a lot of sense! I forgot that’s how it worked I was thinking I had to adjust my goal every time I exercised. Thank you!
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thinking about what you need to do to lose 100 pounds would be overwhelming. I have 40 to lose and find THAT to be overwhelming. What I am trying to do now is set daily goals that will help me feel better. My goal for yesterday was to use my tracker and drink 60 oz. of water. I didn't meet the water goal but I did track. Today is a new day. I am setting the exact same goal. Baby steps.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing is to start simple. Unless you have a specific reason otherwise not to, I really think most people would do fine setting a reasonable rate of loss in the guided setup and just letting MFP do the math for you. Stick with that for a while, logging your food and exercise as MFP intends you to do, and see how it goes. That's how I started and it's still serving me well, although I have made a few small adjustments along the way. I don't think it would have made much sense, though, to expect me to have figured that out before I even started!

As you become more familiar with how MFP works, and get to know what you are like when you're not overeating (because it is a lifestyle change!), then you can start playing with it a bit if you want to.

Honestly, I think a lot of people end up giving up because they make it harder on themselves than they need to. People can endure intense suffering for short bursts of time, but not long-term, and not without knowing precisely when it will end. You're building habits for life, here, which calls for long-game discipline. That's a very different strategy than going all in and burning out in short order. I have about fifty pounds to go, which sometimes feels overwhelming, but most of the time it feels fine because I'm not depriving myself and going so hard I feel like I'm going to collapse. It'll probably take me about a year more to get there. That feels like a long time, but it really isn't compared to the rest of my life. :)
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and started at 124 kg (about 270 lbs). I wasn't very active to begin with but trying to lose on 1500 or less for me was unsustainable and absolutely miserable. I had no energy, I was tired all the time and it ended up setting me back.
  • ScottKipp
    ScottKipp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would strongly encourage you as a beginner to keep it as simple as possible. Aim for consistency with finishing each day a few hundred calories below maintenance and you'll start to see progress which will motivate you to keep doing it. Consistency is after all the most difficult part of weight loss. No need to start trying to get away with 'high calorie' days - that's just asking for problems.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ScottKipp wrote: »
    I would strongly encourage you as a beginner to keep it as simple as possible. Aim for consistency with finishing each day a few hundred calories below maintenance and you'll start to see progress which will motivate you to keep doing it. Consistency is after all the most difficult part of weight loss. No need to start trying to get away with 'high calorie' days - that's just asking for problems.

I think the overarching point is that "maintenance" isn't a fixed number if one is comparing between more and less active days. If I don't move around much, maintenance is about 1,400 calories. If I have a day with my average activity, then it's about 2,000. If I have a very active day, it's about 2,500. That's worth accounting for, IMO.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I found it much easier to eat the same amount everyday and go on the weekly average. when I was your weight I could go below 2k without feeling bad mentally and physically. I walked everyday to keep active. Ive lost 100 pounds.