Investing / Stonks

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Danw586 wrote: »
    Apparently Elon Musk agrees about the environmental issue with bitcoin. Annnd it plunges..

Looks like stocks are plunging anyways. :(
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    Just_Mel_ wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Stocks and Bonds are a sucker bet.

Instead, I've invested my entire life savings in WWF Action Figures.

The future looks bright.

WWF_HASBRO_ACTION_FIGURES.jpg

Why is Brutus the Barber Beefcake carrying hedge clippers?

The fact the you knew which on is Brutus the barber is kind 🔥 not gone lie 🤷‍♂️ - we’re you really a fan of 80’s/early 90’s wwf??🤔

3u8ncj8z0417.gif

Maaayyybbeee.
    I was surprised that I could identify like 10 out of the bunch. That little bit of knowledge was buried real deep in the pop culture brain vault.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,031 Member
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Stocks and Bonds are a sucker bet.

Instead, I've invested my entire life savings in WWF Action Figures.

The future looks bright.

WWF_HASBRO_ACTION_FIGURES.jpg

Why is Brutus the Barber Beefcake carrying hedge clippers?

The fact the you knew which on is Brutus the barber is kind 🔥 not gone lie 🤷‍♂️ - we’re you really a fan of 80’s/early 90’s wwf??🤔

3u8ncj8z0417.gif

Maaayyybbeee.
    I was surprised that I could identify like 10 out of the bunch. That little bit of knowledge was buried real deep in the pop culture brain vault.

Our age group had the best in pop culture references imo - wwf - mtv - Saturday morning cartoons - 90s grunge - the golden age of pop culture I say
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    I only just started looking at stonks and I have no idea what I’m doing. My portfolio is not diverse, yet. Everyone is buzzing about crypto but I’m over here like, 🤨
  • Danw586
    Danw586 Posts: 237 Member
    edited May 2021
    I don’t pretend to be an expert; I’m merely an Aspe.

“Be fearful when others are greedy”

“The stock market is a voting machine in the short term and a weighing machine in the long term.”

“The stock market is a mechanism to transfer wealth from the impatient to the patient.”

Do your own due diligence and don’t rely on fads or other analysts.

Don’t invest in stuff you don’t understand.

Learn how to read a financial statement and understand key metrics like: P/E, P/S, PEG, ROE, etc...

Look at the balance sheet and understand debt loads, cash flow, etc...

Different industries use different valuation metrics. Make sure you understand them. For instance, a software company may be fairly valued at a Price/Sales of 15, but a retail company may have a fair value with price/sales of 2. Profit margins and growth rate matters.

Signed,
    - a know-nothing dummy

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    VTSAX, it's hard to beat the index
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,348 Member
    BTC, ETH, ADA, VET, HOT, TRON, SOL, SHIB, XVG, QTUM
    Recently pulled out in XRP at a close to break even point and re-invested that in BTC
    Pulled out half my ETH, since i was at +100% so now all is profit what's in it, did the same with SHIB
  • zesasder
    zesasder Posts: 1 Member
    Hey guys, thanks for an insightful thread! I am a young entrepreneur, and I finally feel that I have some extra cash that I could invest effectively and wisely. I've been buying some altcoins from my early university years, and now I'm thinking about going big. What are your opinions? Unfortunately, it is always a considerable risk considering crypto's peculiar character. Fortunately, we at least have websites such as https://youngandthrifty.ca/, which offer professional assistance on personal finances, including investing. Good luck! Let's hope for a crypto boom this year.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Reviving a zombie, but I must inquire...As someone who's got pennies in the stock market, isn't now the time to invest since stocks are low, low, low? Just reiterating what I've heard. Pipe in, please.
  • Unsafe_Space
    Unsafe_Space Posts: 34 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Reviving a zombie, but I must inquire...As someone who's got pennies in the stock market, isn't now the time to invest since stocks are low, low, low? Just reiterating what I've heard. Pipe in, please.

Define "low." I've been steadily bleeding money and patiently transferring riches from my own pockets to the pockets of others.

I've kept my eye on the market and have poured money in when things seem to hit a "low," but then the market dips to an even lower "low" and stays put. I'm then faced with some terrible options:

1) pour in a ton more money so that if the overall price jumps by at least a small margin, the overall will average & I can at least hope to pull out at about break-even

2) hope that by some miracle the price goes up to the really high one I poured in at

3) cut my losses before I bleed anymore money

What with everything going on in the the world, nothing is quite certain. Not that it ever was certain, I guess. But I'm expecting a lot more volatility than ever.
  • LoveyChar

Define "low." I've been steadily bleeding money and patiently transferring riches from my own pockets to the pockets of others.

I've kept my eye on the market and have poured money in when things seem to hit a "low," but then the market dips to an even lower "low" and stays put. I'm then faced with some terrible options:

1) pour in a ton more money so that if the overall price jumps by at least a small margin, the overall will average & I can at least hope to pull out at about break-even

2) hope that by some miracle the price goes up to the really high one I poured in at

3) cut my losses before I bleed anymore money

What with everything going on in the the world, nothing is quite certain. Not that it ever was certain, I guess. But I'm expecting a lot more volatility than ever.

This is me, as I could've written it. The things you look for, wait for, anticipate, analyse, expect, don't expect, are all things I'm thinking about.

I say all of this as someone who knows very, very little. I think I'll take with me your last paragraph and stay on the more conservative side of investing. Someone gave me a little advice the other day and she, like all of us, is guessing I think, but said "a little of this and a little of that" in reference to investing but was referring to all investments as a whole. I don't know...
  • ReenieHJ
    What about real estate investments? DH has TIAA-Cref and has his portfolio very diversified. But I would think changing that to a more real estate heavy portfolio might be a plan? I asked him if we should do something to change the investments because we're seeing money bleed into other's pockets as well. Not a good feeling at all. :(
    I don't think you can go by how the market has progressed over the past 10-20 years(as he is doing; he figures everything will rebound like it has before) because these times aren't like many any of us have seen, but more like in 1920-40's era.
    Thoughts?
    Glad this thread was resurrected because I think it's heavy on people's minds. :(
  • LoveyChar
    @ReenieHJ My first thought when I read that was that you were suggesting buying actual real estate but of course after rereading it, I understand what you're saying and I'm going to look up your husband's investments to see if it's something I might be interested. Thanks for sharing and I agree, it is something heavy on peoples' minds. I hope someone with experience and knowledge or insight pipes in. I'm barely an amateur.
  • ReenieHJ
    @ReenieHJ My first thought when I read that was that you were suggesting buying actual real estate but of course after rereading it, I understand what you're saying and I'm going to look up your husband's investments to see if it's something I might be interested. Thanks for sharing and I agree, it is something heavy on peoples' minds. I hope someone with experience and knowledge or insight pipes in. I'm barely an amateur.

I'm not even an amateur which is why we trust financial counselors to do the job. :/ I couldn't even tell you what areas he's got investments in but I do know real estate is a small piece of the pie.

IIRC, you're a teacher, do you have TIAA-Cref and have they sat down with you to discuss it all? It's mind-boggling to say the least. The last time we sat down with someone was pre-Covid. She was nice enough and maybe I'm just getting more cynical in my old age, but she was a company employee so, of course, she's going to go with what benefits the company most. She kept giving us projections of if we lived to 95, despite our telling her no, give us projections for 85 and 90. Course that's all changed now, given the current economy and market drops. :(

Good luck to you with your search!
  • LoveyChar
    @ReenieHJ I have a retirement account. I'm talking about investing outside of that, which is where the "amateur" comes in. I, like you, trust others to manage the "big stuff" (and it's not big). I'm not taking into account my husband's investments, either. Maybe I'm not an amateur but I'd like to be an expert. Also when I say "pennies" it would fall into the what's outside of trusting a professional. I don't give up what I'm not comfortable losing.
  • Unsafe_Space
    Unsafe_Space Posts: 34 Member
    I'm tied up in

BLDNG MNY

The initial IPO looked great, but now I realize 'BLDNG' does not stand for 'building' 🤣😐

🎶I keep BLDNG, I keeeep keep BLDNG funds🎶
  • J_doe
    J_doe Posts: 43 Member
    WTF