Scale issues

Options
zfitgal
zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
Hi,
Since covid I put in 25 pounds because a digestive issue plus high stress due to the pandemic. 3 weeks ago I said to myself it's time to get up and mo w forward. I started dieting and exercising the same way I always used to but the scale is barely budging. I never went by the scale before but I just wanted to see some progress. I feel I should have lost more weight then I have. Is it to little time to see progress? It's been so long since Ive been in this situation. I just hate what I see in the mirror. I do even recognize myself anymore. Help please

Replies

• WeatherJane
    WeatherJane Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost over the 3 weeks?
  • zfitgal
    Options
    2 pounds but the week of menstral cycle I gained one...this Sunday will be a total of three weeks...im using libra and weighing myself daily which I'm so not used to doing....im doing the exact routine and eating the exact caloric defecit I was in before to get me to my goal.

I always base everything off the mirror because I didn't want anything to play games with my mind...but not I just want to make sure the scale goes down and once I see that I'm consistently losing weight I'll stop with it...

I train 3 days a week weights (heavy) and 3 days a week cardio (45-60) minute sessions.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    So it’s pretty common for women to gain few pounds at some point during their cycle. 2lb in 3 wk it’s great! The benefit of weighing daily is to observe the natural fluctuations of your body. With 25 to lose, its best to set your MFP goal to 0.5-1 lb per week.
    How many calories does MGP
    give you for this loss rate and how many have you been eating?
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is that your expectations are too high. You've lost 2lbs in almost 3 weeks, that's great! As mentioned there will be fluctuations, especially at that time of the month, so just keep doing what you're doing!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Unless you overate a massive amount of food during your period you didn't gain fat. Hormonal cycle leads to variations in water weight, and most people hold more onto water when having the mens. Thus it's not fat, and not related to your eating. It's normal. 2lbs in 3 weeks is also great! If you only have 25lbs to lose then this rate of loss is pretty much as expected. So please relax, trust the process, don't get stressed out over scale variations. There will be variations from day to day due to water fluctuations for all sorts of reasons next to hormonal: amount of salt eaten, amount of movement, muscle repair after new exercise, weather, sleeping pattern. Plus variations in how much waste you have in your intestines. This also has a weight of course.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    So it’s pretty common for women to gain few pounds at some point during their cycle. 2lb in 3 wk it’s great! The benefit of weighing daily is to observe the natural fluctuations of your body. With 25 to lose, its best to set your MFP goal to 0.5-1 lb per week.

I set it up to lose .5 pound a week but havemt added in exercise calories. I didn't feel I needed to. I'm currently eating 1640
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

I set it up to lose .5 pound a week but havemt added in exercise calories. I didn't feel I needed to. I'm currently eating 1640

If you're set up to lose 0.5 lb a week and you've lost 2 lb in 3 weeks then you're on track. Keep doing what you're doing for a few more weeks to ascertain whether you need to change anything. I hardly lose anything on the scale 3 out of 4 weeks in a month and then I'll start to see a consistent drop before it does the same thing. I blame my hormones!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I can gain up to 5 pounds when ovulating, and then another 2-3 right before and during my period. If you're not used to weighing yourself daily, it's likely you never noticed a weight gain trend around those TOM. Another thing that impacts the number on the scale is the types of food I eat. Certain foods cause me to hold on to more water weight or food waste. Also, certain medications can cause constipation, like allergy meds and even Aleve. That can impact the number on the scale.

However, it sounds like you are averaging about ,5 lbs per week, which is what your goal is set for. I set out to do that last year, and while it averaged out to that, there were A LOT of upsa ND downs with the scale.I had to learn to be patient and just keep plugging along and not get too discouraged.