Found a workout i like (at last)

Options
Movemoreguy22
Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
So after years with trying calisthenics, rings, weights etc etc, I think I finally found what I like.. but is it enough??

im in construction world 8am to 6pm normally and body takes a kick in all day. I cant beat my muscles up cos I need them for work and I was reading up on how construction people should train and it said short 20mins one compound excerises a day..

I've been doing that and im not feeling over worked when I wake in the mornings.

So I do monday to Friday, Monday squats,,, Tuesday rows, Wednesday bench press, thruday deadlift and Friday shoulder press.. I do 5 x5 takes me 20mins/30mins go home and eat.

Do u guys reckon thats enough for muscle growth...

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I find it better to hit each lift twice per week. Can you combine 2 lifts per day? Are you progressing over time?
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    To be honest yeah I could, how would I pair them up..
    I havent got to a stage where I cant lift a weight yet.
    Gyms only been open a few weeks
  • anna_lowe
    anna_lowe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    you can combine push/pull.

i personally do these compound exercises (i also do a few isolation but didn't list them)

monday bench press, rows, and incline press
    tuesday squats, deadlifts, and abs
    wednesday rest
    thursday shoulder press, rows (i can't do pullups), and bench press
    friday squats, deadlifts, and abs.

of course you could do more but if you are looking to combine compound exercises, those wouldn't interfere with each other.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Think about the upper and lower limits of where you need to keep your training load to progress.....
    Lower limit - enough stimulus to provoke adaptation. Which is very personal based on training history, age, genetic response to training.
    Upper limit - the ability to recover from your training.

As you have a physical job you do need to take that into account as it's part of your overall load.
    Be cautious of training like someone with a non-physical job who can sustain a higher volume in the gym and gets far more recovery time than you.

"Enough" is an experiment you will have to run for yourself. Your ability to sustain a training load and recover from it also changes over time. I would guess you found when you started off working in construction you got enough stimulus from that to add some muscle and also struggled to recover from it - over time I would presume your job alone wouldn't be enough to build more muscle and you probably have less recovery issues from your working day.

From your comments you are recovering well from your new routine (under the upper limit), you need to monitor your results over time to assess your lower limit but if your lifts are going up you appear to be in a good place at the moment.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    anna_lowe wrote: »
    you can combine push/pull.

i personally do these compound exercises (i also do a few isolation but didn't list them)

monday bench press, rows, and incline press
    tuesday squats, deadlifts, and abs
    wednesday rest
    thursday shoulder press, rows (i can't do pullups), and bench press
    friday squats, deadlifts, and abs.

of course you could do more but if you are looking to combine compound exercises, those wouldn't interfere with each other.

I think doing something like that would tyre me out... plus I would have 2/3 aching parts a day...
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Think about the upper and lower limits of where you need to keep your training load to progress.....
    Lower limit - enough stimulus to provoke adaptation. Which is very personal based on training history, age, genetic response to training.
    Upper limit - the ability to recover from your training.

As you have a physical job you do need to take that into account as it's part of your overall load.
    Be cautious of training like someone with a non-physical job who can sustain a higher volume in the gym and gets far more recovery time than you.

"Enough" is an experiment you will have to run for yourself. Your ability to sustain a training load and recover from it also changes over time. I would guess you found when you started off working in construction you got enough stimulus from that to add some muscle and also struggled to recover from it - over time I would presume your job alone wouldn't be enough to build more muscle and you probably have less recovery issues from your working day.

From your comments you are recovering well from your new routine (under the upper limit), you need to monitor your results over time to assess your lower limit but if your lifts are going up you appear to be in a good place at the moment.

I did deadlifts Thursday went heavier as I still don't no my limit yet.. today I was moving around and felt a pinch in the lower back... so now I'm thinking not doing deadlifts cos im deadlift at work all day and maybe over working lower back muscles..
  • bostonpaul22
    bostonpaul22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    John meadows has great programs
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    So after years with trying calisthenics, rings, weights etc etc, I think I finally found what I like.. but is it enough??

im in construction world 8am to 6pm normally and body takes a kick in all day. I cant beat my muscles up cos I need them for work and I was reading up on how construction people should train and it said short 20mins one compound excerises a day.

I've been doing that and im not feeling over worked when I wake in the mornings.

So I do monday to Friday, Monday squats,,, Tuesday rows, Wednesday bench press, thruday deadlift and Friday shoulder press.. I do 5 x5 takes me 20mins/30mins go home and eat.

1. I'd disagree unless the person was untrained. I was trainging 2 hours 4 session a week before work. Now keep in mind that is the stimulus my body needed to develop a strength adaptation. I never had any problems in my mid 40s and that was dealing with pain and swelling of a jount disease while busting my hump at work. I also use auto regulation within my programming.
    2. Enough? Depends on the individual, programming, sensitivity or response to training. There is just too much variables to give you a answer.