Number of steps after running

I've recently bought a Suunto ambit 3 and have been enjoying looking at all the data it gives me.
One interesting observation I've made is that on days when I run, (always after work) I do approx 1500 fewer steps after the run than I do over the same period on gym or rest days.
Nothing I'm bothered about, but obviously I move a lot less in the evenings when I've been for a run! Anyone else find this?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    edited May 2021
    I run In the evening at around 8. I do try to be lazy during the day though to have energy for the run. Doesn’t always work. Yesterday I ran 10k and got a total of 20k steps
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    I wasn't sure if it was "normal" to do less after a run...or so much less anyway. Glad to know it's not just me.
    I made an effort today to move more after my run, and it wasn't easy!
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    I've recently bought a Suunto ambit 3 and have been enjoying looking at all the data it gives me.
    One interesting observation I've made is that on days when I run, (always after work) I do approx 1500 fewer steps after the run than I do over the same period on gym or rest days.
    Nothing I'm bothered about, but obviously I move a lot less in the evenings when I've been for a run! Anyone else find this?

I run after work, I haven't noticed a difference in steps as I don't do much on an evening anyway!

Long run day i can easily do literally nothing for the rest of the day unless i make an effort to move!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I'm reasonably fit at this point if that makes a difference; a run or an extra daily walk usually raises my usual daily steps by a few thousand.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I don't run. But i cycle. I know that if i do a hard long ride in the morning, i can happily sit on the couch for the rest of the day with very low level of activity, basically resting. It's taking some good motivation or necessity to do other things afterwards. If i do a good hard ride at the end of the day, i have a lot more steps and a lot more active things done, whether it's work, shopping, chores, anything.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    An hour of exercise effects the steps I would have gotten doing like chores during that time running.

I've never looked at details to see if the after exercise steps decreases - because frankly it's evening and I'm hitting the chair anyway, workout or not.

Much like people will discover that many times their net increase to daily calorie burn is less than the exercise calorie burn.

I use Garmin so workouts are synced over - I can't recall one workout day where I didn't get a negative adjustment along with the workout.

Prior Fitbit the adjustment was always less than Fitbit said the workout burned (or rather I manually corrected it to).
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    I totally get that. I was just thinking that it was an interesting observation For myself that I definitely moved a lot less after running. I hadn't actually realised it until I looked at the time of day when I was getting my steps in. I'm not worried about the overall level of movement, it's definitely better for me to run than not to. I was just hoping I wasn't alone in being a sloth in the evening after exercise 😁
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    That doesn't surprise me. I don't have any data to support it, but I bet it's fairly common to be less active in general on days that you have harder workouts, especially if those workouts happen earlier in the day and/or you plan your day around them.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I actually find the opposite, but I am not doing long or hard runs yet. I usually get 1000-2000 steps more (besides the run) on days I run, and I definitely feel more energized those days. I run first thing in the morning. I make up the difference on non-run days by taking a walk, but that's usually later in the day.