Who else is trying to resist to buy all the clothes that finally look great on you?

I almost lost 30KG at this point and I can finally buy the cute clothes I always liked but never bought because they looked bad on me while being overweight. I have been wanting to wear dresses above the knee or shorts but when I was obese I felt so ugly in them every time I tried and for a change did have the big size I needed. But now I really have to resist buying most of the cute shorts, dresses etc I see because otherwise I buy way to many. And what's even better people tell me I look great in them which gives my confidence a boost as well :)

Who else has the issue that you want to buy way to many clothes because you can finally wear them after loosing the weight you lost?

Replies

• yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    I completely understand I've lost 33 lbs so far and it makes a big difference in my clothing, have fun just don't break the bank shopping unless you don't mind.

Congratulations on your loss and new found shopping love.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    "Resistance Is Futile..." I completely get it. I've lost around 50 lbs. I'm toning up & can fit into amazing curve hugging small sizes. I've saved up for my indulgences, and I am enjoying every. single. one of them.🤣🤣🧡
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I find it annoying honestly. I hate clothes shopping but I need clothes that fit. I've lost 50 kg over the past four years and I'm almost but not quite at my initial goal weight. Seems pointless buying anything that I'll just donate by next year but I have to unless I want my trousers falling down!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,100 Member
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    I find it annoying honestly. I hate clothes shopping but I need clothes that fit. I've lost 50 kg over the past four years and I'm almost but not quite at my initial goal weight. Seems pointless buying anything that I'll just donate by next year but I have to unless I want my trousers falling down!

That's probably the only thing holding me back right now, knowing I'm not quite at my goal weight (heck, I'm not even sure what my goal weight is at the moment 🤪 ).

I'm trying to stick to a small set of cheap but nice looking clothes to tide me over, but it's hard to resist, despite the fact that I barely need clothes at the moment (working from home full-time for over a year now).

I was never a 'fashion' kind of girl, but I honestly can't wait till I get to maintenance and I can invest in some nicer clothes to fill my empty wardrobe!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I'm at a good weight now but still find I wear the same types of clothes. :/ I have little desire to shop for new stuff because I don't like spending the money, never find anything I like or feel comfortable in, haven't got good taste(can't dress myself I guess :)), and the biggie is we have no good local place to shop for clothing here. JCPenny's is closing this month, we've lost all our other stores in the past such as Fashion Bug and Maurices. Kohl's is an hour away. For some reason I never can find anything at TJ Maxx. :( I'm skeptical of trying new online places even though I see really cute clothes offered. I put a couple cute shirts in a cart for Airy(a link that popped up on this site actually) and then hit order and the shipping was 8 bucks. I'm too cheap I guess. :(

So yeh, while my closet isn't empty, it looks the same it always has, just size mediums now instead of large or xl.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    @ReenieHJ I plan on wearing the same type of clothes I always have! I'm just excited for them to fit better and for me to look better in them!

I too don't get very excited by clothes shopping itself, just because I'm old fashioned and prefer the kind of clothes that really don't show up on the racks much. I also tend to think these are more flattering for more sizes and shapes of bodies. My main strategy is, when I luck out and find an outfit that I like, I basically turn it into a uniform by buying it in three or four different colors. If anyone remembers "capsule wardrobing" when it trended a few years ago, that's basically been me since forever. I like finding pieces that are versatile and I can dress up, or down, or layer or not depending on the weather. Fewer items in my closet, but I like them all and can take care of them well.

I also learned some mending skills which helps items last longer. You do have to dig to find clothes that will last because I swear many things are made to fall apart after a year.

I decided a couple of years ago, still overweight, that I wasn't going to punish myself by wearing frumpy clothing I hated. So I do actually like my clothes for the most part even now. I've been a bit sad to say goodbye to a few things. But hopefully someone else who's where I was can enjoy them and not feel doomed to frumpiness either.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    scarlett_k wrote: »

Pretty much this.

I've been at goal, in the same size, for a while. For me, having to buy a whole new wardrobe (when I first lost from obese to a healthy weight) was a major, annoying downside of weight loss. Hate shopping, not very interested in fashion clothing. (But I do like jewelry, which I mostly make myself - pretty much only my ring sizes changed, though I had to adjust some bracelets smaller, and some of the necklaces hang different, but I always make them with a built-in length adjustment.)

Other than developing an odd taste for certain kinds of lace, I dress exactly the same way I did when I was obese: Plain crew-neck t-shirts in jewel colors (red, purple, blue), simple jeans or pants in basic navy or black, simple sweaters or hoodies in season. A uniform. I have a couple of dresses for things like weddings, one for colder weather, one for warm, with simple lines.

In the 5+ years since reaching goal, I'd let my weight creep up a little within the healthy range, by 10-15 pounds. I reversed that into a super slow loss for a year plus, when my clothes started to get a little snug, because I did *not* want to go through that shopping horror again. Now, I've stopped losing because if I don't, I'll have to go down a size. No shopping: No, no, no.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I'm at a point now where my shorts are too big, so I need to buy new shorts. I'm a bit hesitant to buy a smaller size though, because I'm on a special diet for food sensitivities and I lost 11 pounds, 6 of which were not intentional. I'm worried that as I start to add more and more foods in, I'll gain some weight back and not fit into that size! However, when I lost about 8 pounds last year, I DID buy a bunch of jeans in my new size (now a size smaller than that).

I used to like shopping even when I weighed more, too, and even as a kid, teenager and young adult. However, now it's more of an incovenience because I'm a lot busier than I used to be. I like to do it online, but especially since I've lost more weight, I really feel like I need to try the clothes on first.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I'm a bit a cheap @$$. So, I hate buying cloths. Same old stuff is good enough for me. When it wears out, then I replace it.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Maybe it depends on where you tend to lose your weight the fastest or your shape? I'm an apple with no hips, no butt and slim legs. I have lost 79 pounds since last March and went down 9 pant sizes, 1 shoe size, 3 bra sizes, and 4 shirt sizes. I do not think that more will come off my hips but will probably lose some more off my middle and probably 1 more band size in bras. I purchase most of my clothes from the same handful of stores and brands because they fit, I like them and can afford them. Frequent buying of pants was a necessity while I could slide by with too big tops.
    I enjoy shopping now since I can choose clothes to express my personality instead of trying to hide how big I was or worry what people would say if I wore something they didn't think appropriate for a large woman. The last is from being around my mother and her friends. They constantly make comments about what people should and should not wear.
  • Godlord1488
    Godlord1488 Posts: 37 Member
    yes yes yes!!! i sold my.last "fat clothes" 2 weeks.ago on Grailed. traded a size 10 Rick Owens slab skirt from.2015 for the small sized Vetements active shooter Justin4ever rare hoodie dress. needless to say i love the dress but sometimes after a weekend of letting my diet go a bit, my size 0s ans 2s get snug or dont look the same as they did when i bought them and the body doubt pours in. ive spent almost $6k on new professional workwear sizes It40 and smaller and im scared AF if i ever faulter....ill need my old fat clothes back:"(
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    I never was a clothes person when I was young even though I was thin at the time - just never had a good sense of my own style, or any body confidence. In the last couple of years I have been thoroughly enjoying clothes!! As an older person who shed my post baby weight, I feel like I’m confident about my body and my style. My next challenge is that I am moving into semi retirement and really have no need for new clothes any more 😩
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member

One downside of losing weight for me is that (if it is the same as a decade ago when I lost 37 lbs) my clothes will be way to big on me, but I don't really want to replace them. I wear a lot of dresses and bought a lot in larger sizes the last few years (I have 60+ dresses).
    I mean it's not going to stop me from trying to lose - hopefully I can get at least some of them altered.
    Then again if/when I get slim again maybe I will feel like going back to fitted jeans and T shirts - I just hate the way they look on me right now.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2021
    I too don't get very excited by clothes shopping itself, just because I'm old fashioned and prefer the kind of clothes that really don't show up on the racks much. I also tend to think these are more flattering for more sizes and shapes of bodies. My main strategy is, when I luck out and find an outfit that I like, I basically turn it into a uniform by buying it in three or four different colors. If anyone remembers "capsule wardrobing" when it trended a few years ago, that's basically been me since forever. I like finding pieces that are versatile and I can dress up, or down, or layer or not depending on the weather. Fewer items in my closet, but I like them all and can take care of them well.

Same here. OH thinks I'm mad when I buy three/four of the same t-shirt in the same or different colours. My body shape (hourglass) might have come back into "fashion" but I don't really like fashionable high street clothing. I'm not that tall at 5'5, but find most tops too short in the body, and most pants too small on the hips. Working from home has had it's perks because I've not had to be smart-casual for work.

I'm still on my journey so buying the bare minimum of clothing really, fitness gear aside. I keep seeing an advert for a lovely teal Montane hoody (it's right under this post now..) but I'm resisting. I have a lot of my clothes from when I was about a stone lighter, and then probably almost a stone lighter than that so I plan to see what I get back into and what I like when the time comes. Ultimate aim is a well tailored, good quality capsule wardrobe.

What I have had to buy recently is new bras as I dropped a back size but I'm struggling to find one that fits online (am a bit of an awkward fit), and it's been difficult to go and get fitted. The same bra with the smaller back is just a little too small on the cups. I've had 3/4 delivered today so hopefully one of those will do the job.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Lately I've been buying almost all my clothes from the same brand. Everybody loves the way their clothes fit, they're extremely comfortable, and they look good. I can buy them online because I know they'll fit exactly right.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited May 2021
    I went through this stage at one point. I bought a LOT of stuff because I COULD, they were cute and I was excited. At this point, I am honestly very over it. My bra and shoe size changed, even. EVERYTHING. The idea of buying yet another entire wardrobe worth of clothes makes me want to go cry.

Also I need to do ANOTHER freaking clothes clean out to goodwill and for give away to friends or resale because I can no longer find the things that actually fit me and. I'm just tired of it. Its fun to be able to fit into the cute stuff but doing it once was enough. I've done it twice. Doing it a third time just so I'm decently covered is no longer appealing.

Enough so that the major reason I am considering stopping where I am (which is within the health bmi range but not actually my ideal weight) is just that. It's not even expensive because I buy mostly second hand but good god.

And, yeah, my 'style' has not changed at all. It's still mostly athleisure, jeans and basic tops, with most of the funky/fun being in either bright colors or shoes.

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Oh wait, one style thing changed.

I will wear button up shirts now because they no longer gap around the chest due to huge boobs. That's SUPER nice. I'm also more willing to wear fitted tops instead of tents. Tents are still comfortable though.