Fitbit recommends

Options
I used to have a versa which worked great but upgraded to a versa 3. It seems to be way over estimating my calorie burn 800 for an he walk - 3miles) for example. I’ve been looking at the sense. Can anyone recommend an accurate monitor? Getting a bit annoyed I haven’t lost last 2 weeks and no decent logs of exercise.

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I have the Versa 3 and I'm quite happy with it.

If its giving odd results (and I agree that 800 burned for a 3 mile walk seems excessive!) first double check that Fitbit has your correct stats. Age, gender, weight, height. Maybe something wonky happened? Perhaps uninstall, do a factory reset (thru the settings on the Versa 3 device itself) and then add it back and see if it does 'better'.

As to no weight loss in 2 weeks: that could easily be water weight from a number of factors. And ultimately of course about how accurate your logging is. Since you doubt the validity of the Fitbit burn, I would assume you're not eating ALL the calories it says you should?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Was that 800 calories what Fitbit itself said you burned just for the walk itself, or was the 800 calories the calorie adjustment you got for the whole day from the Fitbit, when it synched to MFP?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,509 Member
    Options
    I also got very exaggerated calories for walking. Not quite as bad as you, but think in the range of 1700 for an 18km walk. My Garmin watch is still giving very high walking calories, but it looks a bit better overall. On the other hand it doesn't seem to take an increase in everyday activity into account when calculating calories. I could be sitting on the sofa all day surfing the net, or being on my feet all day and the calories would be the same. Ho hum. I guess none of those devices is really good at estimating calories.

Mind you, two weeks of no loss is no reason for concern. It's likely water weight gain like the lady above here mentioned, or a bit more waste in your innerds. Or the scale is not on even ground or needs a new battery. If you were losing before and tracking thoroughly with a scale then the likely explanation might be in here somewhere.
  • toadflaxbex
    toadflaxbex Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was losing consistently before the new Fitbit. And the calories burned just don’t seem to match my previous versa’s or what MFP wants to give me for a 3m walk. MFP shows as 402 Fitbit 804 in one hour.

Everything is correct in my Fitbit stats. I have done a factory reset.

For example today I have done one 30minite walk no power just a stroll. I work in an office (home on the sofa) I do a 5min walk on the school run. That’s it for today and it’s already showing I e burned over 3000 calories?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    I was losing consistently before the new Fitbit. And the calories burned just don’t seem to match my previous versa’s or what MFP wants to give me for a 3m walk. MFP shows as 402 Fitbit 804 in one hour.

Everything is correct in my Fitbit stats. I have done a factory reset.

For example today I have done one 30minite walk no power just a stroll. I work in an office (home on the sofa) I do a 5min walk on the school run. That’s it for today and it’s already showing I e burned over 3000 calories?

Yes, that seems very improbable. I asked about whether it was just the exercise as seen on the Fitbit side, or the total adjustment with MFP, because that's a frequent point of confusion here. With your clarification, I think your decision to send it back is very rational. A new device can take a week or two to "learn" us in certain ways, but that's very far off from what's likely, I agree.

Apologies.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Is the heartrate monitor working accurately? I had an issue with my Versa 2 where my HR was super high all the time, even at rest, which was overestimated my calorie burn. I sent it back and they sent me a new one in about 1.5 weeks.
  • toadflaxbex
    Options
    Thanks all for your clarification. So you think try a new one before switching to Sense?
  • nanastaci2020
    Options
    Thanks all for your clarification. So you think try a new one before switching to Sense?

Unless you would prefer the extra features of the Sense. Seems like you got a defective unit,
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a Versa 3 issue, I think it's an issue with your Versa 3. I have the sense and love it, upgraded from a Versa 2.
  • toadflaxbex
    Options
    Yeah ok got a replacement coming today. I only walked from bed to toilet today and got 91 cals extra exercise
  • nanastaci2020
    Options
    Yeah ok got a replacement coming today. I only walked from bed to toilet today and got 91 cals extra exercise

I wish I could do that. Meaning I wish I could burn big calories lol. I recall once getting home on a Saturday morning from a 10k and telling Hubs "I've burned 1600 calories so far today!" or something similar. (Was years ago, so I don't recall exact #s.) And him telling me: I've hardly left the bed today and I've burned 1300. Of course he's a guy, I'm a gal. He was a little overweight, I was at maintenance. So his RMR was almost equal to my running for an hour + RMR...