Abdominal

Options

Replies

• lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    @penguinmama87 ALL GOOD VIBES HERE @ninerbuff here is an example of my calories also I try to take in 1200 calories per day.

are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • rebeccap2021
    rebeccap2021 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    No I’m not is that bad?
  • lukejoycePT
    Options
    no that is good. exercise and calories should be seperate. one of the things MFP does which is stupid is lets you log your exercise calories.

my advice is to take all your calories available a day and add them up over 7 days. for example 1500 calories a day x 7 is 10,500 calories a week. What ever that number is, Now that is your goal. You can eat those calories over 7 days however you please. if you have an event coming up and eat a few 100 more then deduct them off the next few days etc. Having that flexability will allow you to live a normal life and enjoy all foods. if you dont lose anything for a few weeks just take off a couple of hundred calories from you total until you see a drop.

remember your hormones and body will make you retain water etc and your body will move up and down weight all the time. its about whether that weight is trending downwards over weeks. not days.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Try upping your water intake, or if in some cases you feel like bloating you could limit your sodium intake and water intake for a few days, also carb cycling is a very efficient way to burn body fat ive found
    Broscience for sure. Body fat is burned when in calorie deficit regardless if high carbling, low carbing, carb cycling, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Complete bro science, but might help some people remain compliant.
    Ok I figured it out so this is me my body but I want more pronounced abdominals there were some people saying I wouldn’t be healthy but I have always been lean and now that I’m getting older I feel like it’s harder to get the abs. I eat perfectly fine and I am very very healthy and would never ever starve myself! @ninerbuff what do you recommend what workouts what to eat. I know some people will say I am pronounced but it’s what I really want and what makes me happy I want a 6 pak 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼
    You're quite fit and pretty lean, but if your abs aren't defined it's cause of the layer of fat covering them. How many calorie are you consuming a day? I'll go into other details if I get some basic info.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

she says 1200 calories, no eating back of calories. Unlikely she is eating 1200 calories, no offense ma'am, and not losing weight.
    Ok I figured it out so this is me my body but I want more pronounced abdominals there were some people saying I wouldn’t be healthy but I have always been lean and now that I’m getting older I feel like it’s harder to get the abs. I eat perfectly fine and I am very very healthy and would never ever starve myself! @ninerbuff what do you recommend what workouts what to eat. I know some people will say I am pronounced but it’s what I really want and what makes me happy I want a 6 pak 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼

You are very lean for a gal IMHO. You can get a 6 pack, but its going to be a grind. Maintainable? maybe... worth it??? up to you. I just suggest you be careful not to possibly cause long term health issues, for aesthetic goals. Best wishes ma'am.
  • lukejoycePT
    Options
    no that is good. exercise and calories should be seperate. one of the things MFP does which is stupid is lets you log your exercise calories.

my advice is to take all your calories available a day and add them up over 7 days. for example 1500 calories a day x 7 is 10,500 calories a week. What ever that number is, Now that is your goal. You can eat those calories over 7 days however you please. if you have an event coming up and eat a few 100 more then deduct them off the next few days etc. Having that flexability will allow you to live a normal life and enjoy all foods. if you dont lose anything for a few weeks just take off a couple of hundred calories from you total until you see a drop.

remember your hormones and body will make you retain water etc and your body will move up and down weight all the time. its about whether that weight is trending downwards over weeks. not days.

If OP is netting just a few hundred calories a day, that's not a great strategy for overall wellbeing or fitness.

you are making an asumption here. we can not possibly know how accurately OP is measuring thier calories etc.

surely the goal is to lose as much fat as possible on as many calories as possible. dropping only a few hundred at a time is much more measurable than dropping a lot. Assuming that the op has not lost anymore weight.

if op was in a proper deficit they would have visible abs by now.
  • lukejoycePT
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Try upping your water intake, or if in some cases you feel like bloating you could limit your sodium intake and water intake for a few days, also carb cycling is a very efficient way to burn body fat ive found
    Broscience for sure. Body fat is burned when in calorie deficit regardless if high carbling, low carbing, carb cycling, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Complete bro science, but might help some people remain compliant.
    You're quite fit and pretty lean, but if your abs aren't defined it's cause of the layer of fat covering them. How many calorie are you consuming a day? I'll go into other details if I get some basic info.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

she says 1200 calories, no eating back of calories. Unlikely she is eating 1200 calories, no offense ma'am, and not losing weight.

You are very lean for a gal IMHO. You can get a 6 pack, but its going to be a grind. Maintainable? maybe... worth it??? up to you. I just suggest you be careful not to possibly cause long term health issues, for aesthetic goals. Best wishes ma'am.

1000% agree with this poster.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

If OP is netting just a few hundred calories a day, that's not a great strategy for overall wellbeing or fitness.

you are making an asumption here. we can not possibly know how accurately OP is measuring thier calories etc.

surely the goal is to lose as much fat as possible on as many calories as possible. dropping only a few hundred at a time is much more measurable than dropping a lot. Assuming that the op has not lost anymore weight.

Agreed, under reporting happens with most of us. Some more than others. Middle age, obese, or overweight, women tend to the worst about under reporting. Now op is not obese or overweight by a long shot.
  • lukejoycePT
    Options

If the goal is to "lose as much fat as possible" (I assume you're exaggerating for effect here, as people do require some body fat in order to maintain good health) on "as many calories as possible," then paying attention to calories burnt through exercise is vital. You're underscoring that the net IS important.

IF OP is netting just a few hundred, that's not a good strategy.

again... you are putting words into my mouth. never said anything about fat % and what is healthy unhealthy, our discussion is about the op getting visible abs.

the NET calories the most acurrate way to measure. when doing a science experienment you focus on what is acurrately measureable and other data can cause inacuracies.

if OP isnt tracking calories correctly then why would you think they would track exercise correctly too?!? its removing hurdles.
  • lukejoycePT
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    The OP has told us that she is having trouble building abs, that her net calories are 542 and she has posted a pic of an extremely lean person. The numbers might not be 100% accurate, but the story is being told nevertheless and it is not a healthy one. OP if your net calories are 542, your body will be “eating” your muscles and you will not be able to build abs.

if OP didnt have abs then OP wouldnt be able to stand up straight.

yes your body eats muscle if you do not eat enough protein and use the muscle often, we all have abs. under our body fat. you just need a very low body fat in order to see it. Thats why they are so hard to achieve.

I don't debate that the OP may be under eating to build muscle but if the OP was in a defiict then they would have abs by now.

you are asuming that the tracking is accurate which it probably isn't.

if you eat in a deficit for long enough you will die. before that you will see your abs and then your bones and your spine.

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    This is good advice! ^^^

"I believe it *is* possible in some cases to build muscle with a calorie deficit, but that's much more likely to work if the calorie deficit is small (like 250 calories daily, or even less) for sloooow fat loss. Within the calories consumed, best odds come from good overall nutrition, and relatively high protein.

Building muscle is always going to take time, patience, a good program, consistency, *work*, and more patience."
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    The OP has told us that she is having trouble building abs, that her net calories are 542 and she has posted a pic of an extremely lean person. The numbers might not be 100% accurate, but the story is being told nevertheless and it is not a healthy one. OP if your net calories are 542, your body will be “eating” your muscles and you will not be able to build abs.

if OP didnt have abs then OP wouldnt be able to stand up straight.

yes your body eats muscle if you do not eat enough protein and use the muscle often, we all have abs. under our body fat. you just need a very low body fat in order to see it. Thats why they are so hard to achieve.

I don't debate that the OP may be under eating to build muscle but if the OP was in a defiict then they would have abs by now.

you are asuming that the tracking is accurate which it probably isn't.

if you eat in a deficit for long enough you will die. before that you will see your abs and then your bones and your spine.

I've seen at least one person die from being unable to eat/absorb nutrients while their muscles were breaking down and they became skeletal and there were no abs showing.