The Secret to Weight Loss

Options
bk8p3mz6lzpl.jpg

If you clicked on this post I am assuming you want to know the number one secret to weight loss. Is it a magic pill? Is it a special kind of diet? Is it fasting? Is it a particular eating schedule? WHAT IS IT!?!?!

ok ok ok. The secret...is....CALORIES IN VS CALORIES OUT

You need to burn more calories per day than what you consume. Your fad diet doesn't matter, your fasting doesn't matter, there are no magic pills, and unfortunately a lot of you have been misinformed!

I have been at this for years. I can tell you the only thing you need to focus on is calories. All of your macronutrients are important, your body needs them all. Dont be scared of carbs, fats, and eat enough protein.

SIMPLE.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    agreed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Here's a derived requirement: Apatite control.
  • Jeffit_170
    Jeffit_170 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    100% agree. I will say that, for many people, despite the facts being simple, it is not always simple to execute for a variety of reasons. But, yes, I wish people would stay away from fad diets and BS supplements.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    bk8p3mz6lzpl.jpg

If you clicked on this post I am assuming you want to know the number one secret to weight loss. Is it a magic pill? Is it a special kind of diet? Is it fasting? Is it a particular eating schedule? WHAT IS IT!?!?!

You need to burn more calories per day than what you consume. Your fad diet doesn't matter, your fasting doesn't matter, there are no magic pills, and unfortunately a lot of you have been misinformed!

I have been at this for years. I can tell you the only thing you need to focus on is calories. All of your macronutrients are important, your body needs them all. Dont be scared of carbs, fats, and eat enough protein.

SIMPLE.

Your pictures of comparison show you've put this miracle diet knowledge to good work!! Congratulations! I knew this formula was what it took to lose weight but I admit I didn't truly *know* it was what I needed to do. I had to spend years of frustrating fad diets, even liquid diets and diet pills years ago, looking for that magic bullet to learn it was easier yet still harder than he!! to win this battle.

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Move more. Or some combination of the two.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    I’m so negative. I thought you were yet another one week user coming to preach to us.

Hear! Hear!!!! You speak gospel.
  • ryan_powerlifter
    ryan_powerlifter Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The process is simple, the practice is not. It takes pure discipline and there will be a lot of failure along the way. What you learn and implement from the failure is up to you and will define the rest of your journey
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    bk8p3mz6lzpl.jpg

SIMPLE.

👏👏👏
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    CICO has been medical advice forever. Success rate, not so good, 99% or there about failure rate. Reason? You did it wrong. >:)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Yep. CICO.

That said I'm not a 'use a lot of willpower and discipline, go all in' person. I've pretty consistently and intentionally done everything as easily as I possibly can from obese to healthy BMI. No cutting anything out, no doing workouts I don't like, just pure calorie counting and tracking, maintenance breaks, averaging over a week not a day, all of it. Actually easy? Not initially but still. As easy AS I CAN MAKE IT? Yep. Because I'm going to be doing this/eating and moving like this forever. I'm not going to make it one single bit harder than it needs to be, because if it is? I will quit. willpower runs out. Habits don't.

QFT.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I'm happy for you... but CICO has never worked for me.... I find many on here who lose that way have to eat so very little forever to maintain or workout like crazy. Yet those who lose with CICO.. are like a strict religious sect who think they're the only ones getting into heaven. They also, can never explain the dreaded plateau. If CICO works like science.. one should never stall in weight loss. But.. they do!

I eat more to lose more... I just eat the right things. I eat more often to lose and keep it off... and I exercise only for an hour at the most at a time. If not..over exercising works against weight loss efforts. I don't log. When I found the way that worked for me.. I lost all my weight so. much easier than the cico battle.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on fad diets. I have been around for many. Any diet that requires us to avoid a particular food, food group or macro to create some particular chemical balance (imbalance actually) to cause weightloss is not sustainable. Sure, some people say they felt great on the diet but they feel better because they likely traded junk food for better food. Still maintaining those imbalances is not sustainable.

Long term weight loss isn't as simple as CICO though. To succeed, we still have to make good choices so that we feed our bodies the nutrients it needs and we stave off hunger. We aren't supposed to walk around hungry all the time. If we waste our calories on a high calorie "something" that is mostly empty in terms of nutrients (bagel for breakfast comes to mind), we will be hungry later and be forced to choose between going over our calories for the day or going to bed hungry which leads to a bad night's sleep which then leads to more poor the choices the next day.

I find that when I want a snack, an apple is an excellent choice. I always want something else, like cookies. The cookies and the apple might be close to the same calorie count (depending on the kind of of cookies, of course). If I choose the apple, the apple will be much more satisfying. After the apple, I will be good to go for a few hours. After the couple small cookies, that weigh almost nothing in my stomach and have no fiber, I will want more. A hard boiled egg compared to a small handful of potato chips is another such example. The egg will keep me satisfied and fueled for hours, while the small handful of potato chips will just leave me wanting more.

You are right, fad diets are just that, passing fads. Losing weight using CICO really isn't simple and, for sure, it isn't easy.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I agree OP. However, I'm a believer in habits rather than discipline. Discipline can start you out right and put you on track, but for me, it eventually runs out. If I have the habit structure set up in that time frame, I just switch over. I now run on autopilot after 8 years.

I think this is interesting, because in my mind habits are just evidence of very strongly developed discipline. It takes less effort because you've ingrained it in so well. Discipline is harder at first because you're making order out of chaos. It's much easier to keep things in order than it is constantly clean up chaos. That's the lesson that I think is really hard for many of us, for healthy eating and exercise or other good habits.

So I wouldn't sell yourself short on being disciplined at all!