eating around 1400.... now i need to go lower? its so difficult, short girl problems

lillyy23
lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
yeah, so i been eating around 1485, and trust me i been tracking perfectly. I was using another app.. but i have switched to here now to start tracking macros now... so far i been only tracking calories.. and so i been doing 1485 since january, and only lost 12 lbs since January. It hasnt been great but I am glad I lost some weight but like c'mon. its been a really long time, so i dont know what to do. I am going to start taking an iron supplement but I am just so tired all the time... and i dont know whats up wiht me, but i am so bored with food, and like I rely heavily on carbs i eat alot carbs. I just count calories and make it fit into my life. I love bread, I always have 2 slices, I know that now... I will need to start being more strict and proritizing protein, but I just loved being able to eat what i want as long as it fit my calorie goal.... and now... bascially what im saying is, now i am 153 lbs and it seems like I cant get any lower, like I always do this and lose 10 lbs and gain everything back. one time i even gained 20 lbs back... I really wanna get healthy. I know i have a bunch of deficiencies so i am going to try to remember to take vitamins , i dont know if its just me... if anyone is short like 5'2 or shorter... does anyone else experience trouble losing more... i been trying to do 1400 but i dont think its working... it started being like .5 lb every few weeks i just dont understand what i could do... do I have to starve myself to lose weight? like its so hard

Replies

• lillyy23
    Losing 12 pounds since January sounds like a great rate of loss for your current weight.

Has a doctor told you that your iron is low? I ask because I find that I feel fatigue when I don't get enough protein and if your diet is high carbohydrate, you may want to see if adding more protein makes a difference before you begin taking iron (which generally you should only supplement when a doctor tells you that your iron levels are low).

When you're not very heavy (and you're not!), you aren't going to lose weight at a rapid pace (at least not safely). It takes patience. You will need to be consistent, but you shouldn't have to starve yourself to get there.

I know you say you're tracking perfectly, but we're all doing various levels of estimation. Nobody is tracking perfectly, but I do notice a few things in your diary that make me think that you might want to take a second look. I see many days where nothing is logged at all and I see some things that are rough estimates (chicken shawarma plate, for example). These are obviously going to happen sometimes, but before deciding that you need to go lower and nothing is working, you might want to try a few weeks of consistently logging every day and minimizing the times when you're doing rougher estimates.

oh yes i have checked from my doctor, I have many deficiencies, vitamin D, and B12 recently, but when i was 17 my doctor first checked and I had anemia which runs in my family a bit.

yes i didnt track much, the chicken shawarma was bc I used myfitnesspal for mostly recipes and like dining out. I was previously using Loseit app more consistently. ohyea i will try those things thank you, yea I guess i need patience, its so hard to be patient. I will keep going... I dont wanna give up lol
  • lillyy23
    steveko89 wrote: »
    If I read this right you've lost 12 lbs in ~19 weeks, or alternatively expressed as ~0.6 lbs/week?

At 5'2" 153 lbs you're less than 20 lbs from the high end of "normal" by BMI standards; not having that much weight to lose don't expect to lose weight quickly, especially requisite to your deficit and maintenance calories. That math checks out based on that assumed size and the expected TDEE using the "light exercise" modifier and averaging 1485 for 138 days.

Regarding supplements and deficiencies, do you have a diagnosis or speculating? If you're tired all the time could your sleep and recovery be improved? How about your caffeine intake?

There's nothing wrong with prioritizing protein but you don't necessarily have to be strict or "starve" yourself to lose weight.

Have you considered taking some time at maintenance? Sometimes a mental and physiological break from dieting is necessary. As you stated, it's bound to happen eventually; I judge it's better to do so in a controlled manner than to just get frustrated and give up. There's also a benefit to learning what it's like to manage and practice maintenance during the loss phase so you're not without direction when you get to your desired weight.

yeah i been doing maintainence or like under maintainence i been around 1500 but yeah, i know what you mean. but now i been feeling so fluffy lol, i dont like the feeling at all. I know im not fat, but ugh i hate it. and im short right, im 5'2 so i feel every time im a bit bloated it sucks, i was thinking to do maintainence at the end of the year makes more sense you know, i thougth i could lose alot of weight before then. summer is coming now. but youre right, im totally fine. sometimes we need someone to tell us that i geuss. its so normal then, to be a slow... i thought it was just me, like my metabolism is so slow. well im actually 5'2.5 last time i checked with my doctor i am slightly taller. but yeah thank you... and yess i do have many deficiencies, my doctor kept asking me if i am vegan, but nope im not but i do eat alot of chicken, i dont really eat much red meat.
  • lillyy23
    I can't comment on tiredness, supplements or other health items, but to answer your question: I'm half an inch shorter than you and, when I started using MFP, I weighed 149lbs. I continued losing weight down to 105-110lb, which is where I've been for about 8 months now. However, I was eating 1200 cals a day (plus my exercise cals) and it took about two years of diligent logging. If you think January to mid May (a max of 18 week) is "a long time" then I agree with the above poster who suggests a diet break. As said above, you're averaging 0.6lbs a week, which is reasonable. Switch to maintenance and eat at that level for a few weeks.

One point though is that, as you lose weight, your deficit gets smaller. You have three options- eat fewer cals, exercise a little more or expect the rate of loss to slow even further. Have you re-saved the MFP Guided Set Up, to recalculate your calories, since you started? The general suggestion is to do this roughly every 10lbs. Also, what rate of loss did you select?

you ate 1200 for 2 years? and now your at your goal weight? my gosh that is a long time. hooefully i can get there.. but yeah i guess its a long journey. I just feel like this is never ending LOL. but you know what sometimes i love this journey other times i hate it... I been really bored and i tend to get bored of food... or my workouts but im gonna start lifting more.. I mean i have been lifting but not much. its not like i love to eat like most people who lose weight... i dont love to eat large amounts its just that, when i do eat its like im tired, no energy and sometimes i would like get fast food, thats kind how i gained weight. just for the convinenece thing. but yeah a diet break would be good... ugh but you know how much i get from people... people start noticing and they dont understand , its like pressure... like if they see me eating more food they think im gonna gain it all back.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I think the thing you need to make peace with is that any changes you make to lose the weight, you will have to continue to maintain the weight. Lose it fast or lose slow, at the end you're not going to be able to go back to what you're used to or you'll just gain it again.

Maybe trying for a WEEKLY deficit will help you? I have my cals set to maintain. Anywhere between 1200 and all of them are fair game. Sometimes I go over a bit, but the goal is that my weekly MFP report show some deficit. I also weigh rarely to avoid frustration because I am now close to goal weight and loss is slow and for all but maybe a week after my period starts totally invisible on the scale (ie: I ONLY reflect the loss the week after I have started my period, otherwise my weight stays wherever until the next month).

It does a lot to prevent boredom and when I'm more hungry I get to eat more and when I'm less hungry I can capitalize on that and eat less to 'bank' for those hungry days. It also gives me flexibility to eat a wider variety of food and have food that I combine with experiences (ie: eating out with friends, ice cream at the lake, whatever).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Deficiencies in Vitamin D and B12 will make you tired.

I would suggest that you increase your dairy, eggs and meat. That's where you'll get a good amount of B12.

A lot of us have to supplement Vit D, it's easy to be low on that if you don't spend a lot of time 70% skin-exposed in the sun or if you live in a northern location. When I started Vit D supplements it changed my life, truly.

Iron is one you don't want to supplement without your doctor telling you to. It is a metal, not something you want too much...your body will eliminate excess Vitamin D or B12. Iron can become toxic - so careful!

I agree with everyone else on careful logging and Atta Girl on that great weight loss so far. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    if your B12 levels are very low you might need a course of B12 injections PRESCRIBED BY YOUR DOCTOR.
    Likewise if you need iron supplements or Vitamin D supplements

as to the calorie amount - 1485 sounds about right - when I was losing weight at about your starting height and weight my allowance was 1460 - and on that I lost aprox 1/2lb a week, about what you are doing now.

Your rate of loss sounds about right - by all means tighten your logging and by all means focus on nutrition/macros more - but I wouldnt be trying to up the weight loss rate, in your scenario.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Yes, I'm 4'11 and have the same issues :( I have to be super diligent and on mark with my calories all the time or I won't lose. It's extremely frustrating.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I will echo the advice on vitamin D supplements - it changed my life in just a couple of weeks.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I have the same issue. My maintenance calories are quite low despite being quite active. I really have no room for error and loss is so slow that it is very discouraging.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    lillyy23 wrote: »
    If I read this right you've lost 12 lbs in ~19 weeks, or alternatively expressed as ~0.6 lbs/week?

At 5'2" 153 lbs you're less than 20 lbs from the high end of "normal" by BMI standards; not having that much weight to lose don't expect to lose weight quickly, especially requisite to your deficit and maintenance calories. That math checks out based on that assumed size and the expected TDEE using the "light exercise" modifier and averaging 1485 for 138 days.

Regarding supplements and deficiencies, do you have a diagnosis or speculating? If you're tired all the time could your sleep and recovery be improved? How about your caffeine intake?

There's nothing wrong with prioritizing protein but you don't necessarily have to be strict or "starve" yourself to lose weight.

Have you considered taking some time at maintenance? Sometimes a mental and physiological break from dieting is necessary. As you stated, it's bound to happen eventually; I judge it's better to do so in a controlled manner than to just get frustrated and give up. There's also a benefit to learning what it's like to manage and practice maintenance during the loss phase so you're not without direction when you get to your desired weight.
    my doctor kept asking me if i am vegan, but nope im not but i do eat alot of chicken, i dont really eat much red meat.
    just want to add... I was anemic when I ate meat but am not now and vegan. I'm also high for b12 and D is excellent. Sometimes its not what you eat but what your body can absorb. I take methylcoloban b 12

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    lillyy23 wrote: »

my doctor kept asking me if i am vegan, but nope im not but i do eat alot of chicken, i dont really eat much red meat.
    just want to add... I was anemic when I ate meat but am not now and vegan. I'm also high for b12 and D is excellent. Sometimes its not what you eat but what your body can absorb. I take methylcoloban b 12

I'm the opposite; 4 ounces of lean beef a few times a week helps me in addition to the iron supplements. Without it, iron levels don't rise into the normal range. There will be some experimentation in finding out what is working for you; both based on how you feel and what your test results are like. Working closely with your doctor monitoring your labs is really important so you don't over correct. You can have too much of these vitamins/minerals as well as too little.
  • paperpudding
    vegetarians/vegans are much more prone to B12 deficiency though - so very reasonable and relevant question for the doctor to ask.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Yes vegans like me are not typical! I sometimes use Floravital liquid iron. It helps I work at a healthfood store, certified Personal trainer and have Kinesiology Bachelor degree😉
  • paperpudding
    yes exactly.

am not saying this applies to all non meat eaters - but they are more at risk of it, hence a useful question to ask.