What the "meaning of life" means to you...

Options
1_up
1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
I thought long and hard before about what the "meaning of life" means to me. It's such a silly question at first, but when you really sit down and think about what's important to you, it becomes something that requires deep thought. I can't live forever, I accept and understand that. There also may not be a afterlife and I've accepted that as well. To me my family is the most important thing to me and I give myself to making their lives more enjoyable.

My conclusion to the meaning of life is to be the best father/husband/grandfather that I can be to my kids/wife/grandchildren. I feel the best thing you can pass down to your children is a good set of morals and values. Hopefully those morals and values will stick and they will be passed down to your future generations as well creating a never ending cycle. My purpose on this earth is to make life easier and more enjoyable for my children, so they can get all they can out of life and achieve their dreams.

Eternal life to me has nothing to do with actually living, but it is to be remembered for the good times and to be a role model that many generations will follow.

Feel free to share what the meaning of life means to you :D

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
  • methetree
    Options
    Today, it's to be the best role model I can be to my wee granddaughter that I am raising. Her mother is off living her life, her father doesn't accept or acknowledge her... truly, I am all she has. I want to give her everything she needs to be successful, to love herself despite her circumstances, and to be healthy and happy.

That is the meaning of life for me.
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    What a beautiful post T!

I gotta say that for me? The meaning of life is not only living your life with purpose, it's living your life ON purpose. I cannot say that every day I achieve this, but I try my hardest to come close. It's about providing selfless love to those surrounding me, and taking the high road when others choose to take the low one. I go out of my way to make sure my friends and family and happy and healthy and do everything in my power to create peace among them. I also want to be the best role model possible to my niece, she means the world to me and I want to see her grow up being the beautiful well-adjusted sweet girl that I see in her now. I guess it's being the best me possible with the hopes that it creates a ripple effect of positivity/love/support/happiness to those around me.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    To make sure the world is changed (for the better) by you having lived. If it can't be some acts by which you change others lives, then to procreate.
  • russelljclarke
    Options
    Today, it's to be the best role model I can be to my wee granddaughter that I am raising. Her mother is off living her life, her father doesn't accept or acknowledge her... truly, I am all she has. I want to give her everything she needs to be successful, to love herself despite her circumstances, and to be healthy and happy.

That is the meaning of life for me.
    You're a good person
  • russelljclarke
    Options
    What a beautiful post T!

I gotta say that for me? The meaning of life is not only living your life with purpose, it's living your life ON purpose. I cannot say that every day I achieve this, but I try my hardest to come close. It's about providing selfless love to those surrounding me, and taking the high road when others choose to take the low one. I go out of my way to make sure my friends and family and happy and healthy and do everything in my power to create peace among them. I also want to be the best role model possible to my niece, she means the world to me and I want to see her grow up being the beautiful well-adjusted sweet girl that I see in her now. I guess it's being the best me possible with the hopes that it creates a ripple effect of positivity/love/support/happiness to those around me.
    And you're a good person too!

Good thread!
  • ladycomix
    Options

well of course...it's the answer to life, the universe and everything!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    to fulfill my God given purpose in life (hope thats not too ''religious'' and forbidden here" on the earth, and to impact others in a positive way
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The answer to this has evolved for me over the years. As of now, the meaning of life to me is love. Love takes us to the highest pinnacles of joy that can be experienced. We need to learn to love ourselves, to not be filled with self-loathing and self-doubt, but to accept and embrace who we are. We need to love our families, to serve them selflessly, to teach and guide them, and nurture their growth, bestowing a legacy of love that will span generations. To love our neighbors, to see the goodness in people, and extend our circle to be as inclusive as we can make it, and to love those in our communities, our country, and the world, through educating ourselves about other peoples and cultures and embracing the differences as well as our shared humanity.

Am I a 'flower child"? LOL - not even close.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    life is too short for me to contemplate thinking about it's meaning, I'd rather invest more time living it by doing right by others then worry about what it all means it when it's all over :-)
  • russelljclarke
    Options
    The answer to this has evolved for me over the years. As of now, the meaning of life to me is love. Love takes us to the highest pinnacles of joy that can be experienced. We need to learn to love ourselves, to not be filled with self-loathing and self-doubt, but to accept and embrace who we are. We need to love our families, to serve them selflessly, to teach and guide them, and nurture their growth, bestowing a legacy of love that will span generations. To love our neighbors, to see the goodness in people, and extend our circle to be as inclusive as we can make it, and to love those in our communities, our country, and the world, through educating ourselves about other peoples and cultures and embracing the differences as well as our shared humanity.

Am I a 'flower child"? LOL - not even close.
    And I already know you're a nice person!
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    To me life is simple.

To me life is LOve.

To me life is Doing your best.

That's it. Nothing else matters.

No drama, No stress, No worries.

You can't do more than your best.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I think humans are the only creatures who believe life must have meaning. The burden of supreme intelligence, huh?

In that same train of thought, I don't think there's anything special I must fulfill (other than preservation of the species).

That said, I enjoy life best when I'm learning things about people and the world, when I'm enjoying my own existence in it and my connections to others, and when I preserve the morale of the species, so to speak.

I think I should make the world around me better than it was when I arrived in it - and better in a universal way. So, in addition to caring for the physical earth, I make it a point every day to NOT contribute to creating negative experiences for others, and instead have positive ones. I take it easy when people make mistakes, I listen when they talk, and I facilitate communication when it's needed.

These are the things that make me feel like my life has meaning beyond the 2 offspring I produced to carry my genes forward. :smile:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Glad I read all the responses first because I was going to say sex and beer but that would seem awkward now. :embarassed:
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    haha :D
  • haileemou
    Options
    Glad I read all the responses first because I was going to say sex and beer but that would seem awkward now. :embarassed:
    Muhahahahahaha!

This is a little deep for a Tuesday :D
  • pacmanjack
    pacmanjack Posts: 866 Member
    Options

well of course...it's the answer to life, the universe and everything!

"We apologize for the inconvenience"

:smile:
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Well said. :smile:
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Everything Sunkisses said is exactly my answer! :)