Building muscle and losing fat

Options
2»

Replies

• Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    ok, so to be clear if I want to drop inches I weight train, worrying more about building muscle and make sure I eat my exercise calories back. If I want to lose weight I dont weight train as heavily, and eat a deficit?

I'm new to this, but at some point it will all make sense LOL
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    ok, so to be clear if I want to drop inches I weight train, worrying more about building muscle and make sure I eat my exercise calories back. If I want to lose weight I dont weight train as heavily, and eat a deficit?

Always weight train. Always eat your exercise calories (MFP will handle the deficit). Just work out intensely and eat till 0 calories remaining. It couldn't be simpler.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    There's two ways to look at this, building muscle through strength and size or building muscle through mass; don't confuse the two. You can build some muscle at a calorie deficit by weight training. For a muscle to get stronger it has to grow but not like massive growth. Then on the other hand you have mass growth which comes from a major calorie surplus. You probably already have your calorie deficity setup, so to give you an idea of what you would need for major mass gain here is a good calculator.

http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/july262002/na_masscalculator.htm

Ideally start a mass phase when you're already lean but you can do it whenever you want, it's just easier to manage your fat gain when you're already lean.

Like taso and others have said, regardless of your weight goals you should do strength training. It may vary based on your goals but you should always do some kind.
  • criscros08
    Options
    bump
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hmm, down 76 lb, and I have more or less maintained the muscle mass I had before. Think of it this way - if you are lugging about an extra 76 lb of fat, and you *ARE* active then you will have a fair amount of muscle mass. Fat people are not just a load of blubber hanging off some bones. In fact, I would probably say that I'd LOST some strength in my legs since I lost the 76 lb, not from losing muscle mass, but from merely not having to move that amount of weight around.

So, if you want to maintain the muscle mass you had, and you've lost an enormous amount of weight, it stands to reason that you should keep doing strength training. Also, bear in mind that for women, (not sure if the OP was female) muscle mass gains will be quite slow, unless you are really competitively training. The only time I saw actual measurable muscle gains was when I was working out every day with a split strength training program/very little cardio and supplementing with a lot of protein.

I agree with Niner that would have to fall into one of three specific groups to be able to gain muscle whilst losing weight - obese/never trained before / returning athlete / newbie.

I have been watching my boyfriend gain muscle in the last six weeks (returning athlete) and it is just OBSCENE! You can actually see his body changing day by day. He is also genetically gifted wrt sports, but still - there are a lot of factors, and most of them are not fair (esp if you are female).

Read Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat book - really recommended.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I might just focus on losing weight and then once you hit your goal, focus on gaining muscle. Of course you should still do weight training to tone your muscles! Have you tried to 30 day shred... I've seen such amazing results on the forum and it's usually toning and losing inches, not lbs which means they're probably gaining a lot of muscle!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you got that information - but I have lost 100lbs in the past year - and built some muscle in the process.....I do two (maybe 3) weight training sessions a week with a PT - and the weights I now lift / move compared to a year ago is very different - and would not be possible without having built some muscle.....

Also with the fat dissapearing I can now actually SEE those muscles!!

I can also see the results in my every day life - my legs are much stronger - I can climb stairs, my knees are much better - as the right muscles now support them - my shoulder strength have increased dramatically - all these things because I have increased the muscle strenght in those areas....

Have I built as much muscle as someone that is not on a calorie defecit - maybe not - but I have definitely built muscle - and all the while losing 2lbs a week!!
    Gaining strength and building muscle are two different things. Your muscles need to be trained. By strength training, you train the muscle fibers you have to work more efficiently. In other words, you get stronger. You didn't add any new muscle tissue, you just trained your muscles to work more effectively. In order to build muscle mass, you need a calorie surplus.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I remember my personal trainer tells me before that if you're got a lot of fat to lose, concentrate on losing the fat first then once you're losing big then its time to start build muscles. Because its pretty impossible to lose weight & build muscle at the same time. Strength training protects you from losing muscles during the weight loss so never forget that but since you got a lot of weight to lose so do more cardio 3-4 days a week then strength training twice a week.
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is how my nutritionist explained it to me.

If you've got lots of weight to lose (say more than 10kg/20 pounds) then you should try to maintain muscle mass and reduce fat. Others have given good examples of how to do this through exercise and eating lean protein/lower carbs.

For example, let's say you weight 180 pounds and that consists of 100 pounds fat/80 pounds lean muscle (completely made up figures BTW). This would make your lean muscle percentage 44%. If you lost 30 pounds of fat but managed to maintain your lean muscle mass, your body composition would be 70 pounds fat/80 pounds lean muscle. This would mean your lean muscle percentage is 53%.

This is why people who lose a significant amount of weight can appear to 'build' muscle, their lean muscle mass may not be increasing, but the percentage compared to overall body composition is.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you got that information - but I have lost 100lbs in the past year - and built some muscle in the process.....I do two (maybe 3) weight training sessions a week with a PT - and the weights I now lift / move compared to a year ago is very different - and would not be possible without having built some muscle.....

Also with the fat dissapearing I can now actually SEE those muscles!!

I can also see the results in my every day life - my legs are much stronger - I can climb stairs, my knees are much better - as the right muscles now support them - my shoulder strength have increased dramatically - all these things because I have increased the muscle strenght in those areas....

Have I built as much muscle as someone that is not on a calorie defecit - maybe not - but I have definitely built muscle - and all the while losing 2lbs a week!!

It's well known that it is incredibly difficult, and impossible for your average dieter, to put on muscle MASS while eating a calorie deficit. Your muscles cannot create new matter out of thin air. However, working those muscles will cause them to strengthen (just not increase in size) explaining your strength improvements. Also, strength exercises help preserve your muscles as you lose weight, so more of them are left in the end, and they look bigger because less fat covers them.

If you ate at a deficit every single day I doubt you built muscle mass, though.
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • christian_finn
    Options
    It is possible to lose fat and build muscle at the same time.

But it's a phenomenon that's generally limited to people who are very overweight and have never lifted weights before, or those who are returning to exercise after a layoff, where muscle memory comes into play.

For example, this study of overweight beginners shows an average 16 pounds of fat lost and 10 pounds of muscle gained during a 14-week period:
    http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/build-muscle-calorie-deficit.htm

So unless you're an overweight beginner, returning to exercise after a layoff, very genetically gifted or using drugs, you're not going to be able to do both at anything approaching the same rate.

In other words, it's far more realistic to lose 10 pounds of fat while gaining a pound or two of muscle. Losing 10 pounds of fat at the same time as replacing it with 10 pounds of muscle is just not a realistic goal for most people, for the reasons I've explained here:
    http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/gain.htm
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    Not much to add here that christian_finn and sugarbones didn't just say. If you're obese, like me, you can turn fat into muscle mass and gain muscle that way on a deficit diet, but it's not a one for one switch. If I'm dieting I won't end up a 247.5 pound mound of muscle if I'm lifting hard and eating only 1,800 calories a day.

In order to add MASS you have to add calories, fat and protein. Lean muscle will come with working out but, if you're at an ideal weight and doing a low calorie diet your body will start consuming muscle.

You have decide between three things when you're working out: strength / fitness, weight loss, mass gain. You can then tailor your regiment to those needs.

Check out http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Mostly, the goal of strength training during weight loss is to prevent muscle loss, not to gain muscle. Of course, preventing yourself from losing 10 pounds of muscle is pretty much the same thing as losing those 10 pounds of muscle, then gaining them back over the next few years, it's just fasted.

It's not completely impossible to gain muscle if you are on a very slight calorie deficit, just very hard. Fat2Fit reported a few weeks ago on a study of elite athletes in weight loss mode while training heavily. One group lost 0.7% of their weight per week and showed a slight muscle gain, while the group that lost 1.4% of their per week maintained their muscle.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571

In practice, most of us don't have at least one of the time, skill, or motivation to train like elite athletes, but it's theoretically possible with slow loss and effective, substantial training. (They all followed their normal training schedule PLUS four additional strength workouts per week).
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Gaining strength and building muscle are two different things. Your muscles need to be trained. By strength training, you train the muscle fibers you have to work more efficiently. In other words, you get stronger. You didn't add any new muscle tissue, you just trained your muscles to work more effectively. In order to build muscle mass, you need a calorie surplus.

It's well known that it is incredibly difficult, and impossible for your average dieter, to put on muscle MASS while eating a calorie deficit. Your muscles cannot create new matter out of thin air. However, working those muscles will cause them to strengthen (just not increase in size) explaining your strength improvements. Also, strength exercises help preserve your muscles as you lose weight, so more of them are left in the end, and they look bigger because less fat covers them.

If you ate at a deficit every single day I doubt you built muscle mass, though.

This MUST be what is happening to me. However, I can't help but feel I have built a little bit of muscle! :bigsmile:

I fall into the "obese and just started strength training" category.

When all is said and done, this post hits home with me the most:
    Always weight train. Always eat your exercise calories (MFP will handle the deficit). Just work out intensely and eat till 0 calories remaining. It couldn't be simpler.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options

^ do what Taso says. For 2 years I have been lifting and eating at a calorie deficit. The actual lbs have come off slower but the muscles that are already there (probably without building new) are more defined and since the layer of fat is gradually coming off the muscles are more noticable, giving that muscular look you are probably after. I also like the athletic, fit, muscular look which is why I consistently from day one kept strength training in my routine. No "skinny fat" for me! Train hard, eat healthy (and all your calories) and this works!