Couch To 5K

Options
I'm going to do it! Starting today! My final goal after the 10 week program is to run in a local 5K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. I've never been a runner but always wanted to try. I've been exercising daily for two months now, so I think I am up to the challenge -- looks like the program starts relatively slow. Any thoughts or suggestions are always appreciated. I am so excited!

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Starting this as well!
    Good luck :)<3
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Good luck its a good program and a great idea before thanksgiving :)
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm about to finish the 7th week.. just take your time. :) you'll do great... get a good pair of shoes... and enjoy yourself while your doing it.. the intervals really do get your *kitten* in gear.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i love couch to 5k! you'll really like it! i went from almost completely sedentary to running for 8-10 minutes at a time
  • Jeterfan2
    Options
    The Couch to 5k program is awesome, I am on the 2nd week day 2 of it and I love it.. I have never ever been able to run and i love this program. the first week is kinda slow, the 2nd week is when things start picking up .. Enjoy and good luck with it!!:happy:
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I did it and I'm half way through the bridge to 10K now... great program. I too had never been a runner and now I can't see myself not running! You'll enjoy it.
  • lijparsons
    Options
    I am on Week 8 right now. It is a great program. My first 5K is on Sept 25. My only advice is to follow it.....you may be tempted to do more than is scheduled. It is meant to be done 3 days per week, and I recommend you stick to that. I did it 4 times one week, and really felt it. My knee has been sore ever since. If you have an ipod or iphone, you might want to download one of the many apps out there as it makes it very simple to follow along. I have one of the apps on my ipod touch, and it allows me to play my own music, and a voice comes in to tell me when to walk, run, halfway etc.

Good luck!!

Lisa
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    just start, the only hold up I had was me. I am in Week 4. I love it. I feel so good about myself for getting this far and am looking forward to many more miles.
  • haileemou
    Options
    Yay me too im on week 2 day 1 2nite :)
  • elzettel
    Options
    I really wish I would have used this program to get started. I was lucky to have a walk/run buddy to keep me motivated. I have done the Couch to 10K and I LOVE the program. My suggestion is make sure you have good shoes. I bought my first pair on my own and for the second pair I was fitted at a local running shop--big difference! Good shoes can be pricey but once you find what you like you can search for a good deal...our local shop runs coupons/specials all the time. Grab a buddy to start with you if you can. It really helps on those days you don't want to do it. Good luck!
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just started this program, and I love it! I am doing week one, day three today. It's a really great workout, and builds slowly enough so you don't get discouraged. Good luck!
  • crobinson53
    Options
    I am on Week 6 Day 3. My advice:

Get fitted for a new pair of shoes
    Make sure you take off days between your workouts if you need it
    Stay committed to your schedule even if it's raining
    Pace yourself, I tend to start out running at a fast pace but settle down 10-12 minutes in
    Breathe, get in rhythm, and have fun!
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    I am in week 4. This is a great program for beginners. I never in my life would have thought I would start running at age 40 and being over 200 lbs, but I am doing it and loving it. Good luck to you.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the support and suggestions. It makes me even excited knowing so many people have had such success with the program.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Don't worry if you have to repeat a day, or a week.

If you can't make progress, just slow down a little.

I liked phasing in things. New shorts, underwear, shoes, socks, socks, socks (I got a lot of socks), HRM, etc.

I never even did a 5k race yet. I went right into a 5 mile. LOL!! it is just amazing after week 9 day 3. I kid you not, you will have so much power and energy, you will look back at week 1 day one and just laugh.

One other thing I noticed. A few times I needed to rework my running route. I just needed more space! Oh, also if you don't do the 10k bridge, I highly recommend going 5k out in a line, and then just having to walk it back.