Migraines/Binges

Maybe I've never been diagnosed with migraines but let's call them AWFUL TERRIBLE HEADACHES THAT MAKE ME VOMIT.

Anyway, when I get these headaches I tend to want to eat, especially carbs. I always think it is going to make me feel better or "stabilize" me. It doesn't really but it's instant gratification.

I always feel so guilty though. Last night I probably had like 500-600 calories and ended up near maintenance. It's so tempting to want to make up for it I also don't have that kind of will-power.

Anyone else struggle with this or with over eating due to something similar? It also happens when I can't sleep (I have pretty bad sleep issues too).

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I had migraines near daily for several years before going keto to complete eliminate them...the weird food things with migraines are a very very real thing...I think it's pretty normal to want some kind of comfort when you are in a lot of pain, and also pretty normal for that comfort to be carby...if it were me, I would just consider those days maintenance days and not worry about the bit of extra calories, your body is already dealing with a lot just having a migraine, why stack calorie restriction on top of that...just be within goal the other days and the odd maintenance day will not set you back too much.
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    I had migraines near daily for several years before going keto to complete eliminate them...the weird food things with migraines are a very very real thing...I think it's pretty normal to want some kind of comfort when you are in a lot of pain, and also pretty normal for that comfort to be carby...if it were me, I would just consider those days maintenance days and not worry about the bit of extra calories, your body is already dealing with a lot just having a migraine, why stack calorie restriction on top of that...just be within goal the other days and the odd maintenance day will not set you back too much.

Thank you. I can't imagine having this pain every day. And who knows, these might not be as bad as a true migraine but they're enough to send me home from work and so I can stay in a dark room. I am sorry you had to deal with them for so long but that keto helped!

And thank you for your encouragement. I knew this was a woe is me post. I needed a woe is me post lol.
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Oh yeah, I call them “sick headaches” but that’s apparently what a migraine is.

Mine are triggered and sustained by food. Specifically easy-access carbs in excess or any amount of chocolate. Turns out I can manage them by avoiding them, or even fasting. However in the moment it used to help the pain to eat and eat and eat.

I seem to have become more sensitive as so have aged so now just fast through it. Helps...
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I have a friend with migraines who says magnesium bisglycinate helps her. The sleep issues could be from SO many things. I work with a naturopath for my sleep and hormone imbalances. Keep searching for your answers cause they're out there! Pain is the body's way of telling you something is wrong, and until we listen, the signals are likely to continue, and the body may scream louder... I used to get headaches all the time before I knew I had food sensitivities.
  • stephie_nyc
    Oh yeah, I call them “sick headaches” but that’s apparently what a migraine is.

Mine are triggered and sustained by food. Specifically easy-access carbs in excess or any amount of chocolate. Turns out I can manage them by avoiding them, or even fasting. However in the moment it used to help the pain to eat and eat and eat.

I seem to have become more sensitive as so have aged so now just fast through it. Helps...

Interesting! My aunt has chronic migraines and can't really have much chocolate because it's a trigger. Food isn't really the trigger for me, but like you said- eating feels like the only thing that soothes it, but it's really not doing anything for the pain in the end.
  • stephie_nyc
    Steph_135 wrote: »
    I have a friend with migraines who says magnesium bisglycinate helps her. The sleep issues could be from SO many things. I work with a naturopath for my sleep and hormone imbalances. Keep searching for your answers cause they're out there! Pain is the body's way of telling you something is wrong, and until we listen, the signals are likely to continue, and the body may scream louder... I used to get headaches all the time before I knew I had food sensitivities.

Thank you! The headaches came on this year after gaining some weight, started a new birth control and ya know...living in NYC during a pandemic, so there are a lot of factors at play and probably too many for me to figure out the source, but they're getting less frequent so that's good.

I figured out my sleep issues...perfect combo of THC and magnesium powder in my tea before bed. I've been giving 7 hours of sleep per night since February. It's amazing!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    I would recommend talking with your doctor. There can be various triggers, not just food, like TOM. I asked my doc for Imitrex (sumatriptan); it was truly a miracle drug for me. I knew about this med because both my mom and sister had migraines. I dragged my feet in doing this because I didn’t want to admit my HORRIBLE headaches were migraines knowing how much they adversely impacted their lives. Wish I did it sooner...