Just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes

Options
Hey all -

New to the site and working on getting my heath in order again after letting myself go for the past few years (2020 especially, for reasons I think we all can guess). I was just diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes on Monday and am waiting to get to talk to my doc about it - ever since I found out, I've been feeling really down and depressed. On my own, I looked in to what I need to do to modify the diet I was already following.

I'm feeling a lot of shame and guilt, as well as just general "ick" the past few days. Does anyone have advice?

My A1C was 8.5, and my fasting glucose was 149, and they detected trace glucose and ketones in my urine, to give you an idea of where I am at.

What should I expect? What should I ask when I get to talk to my doc on Monday?

Thanks all.

- RadiantAmethyst

Replies

• anna_lowe
    anna_lowe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    first of all, you're ok! there is nothing to be ashamed of, you are human and certainly not alone! i was diagnosed type 2 in august of 2018 with an a1c of 10.4.

your doctor will probably recommend changes to your diet. hopefully they will refer you to an RD for nutrition advice. they may also recommend more exercise/activity and/or medication (metformin, in my case).

it can be overwhelming at first! there is plenty of support on these boards.

best of luck!

• mydogisthebestdogever
    mydogisthebestdogever Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Please please check out Dr. Jason Fung on YouTube, best thing you'll ever do
  • joryrheanne
    joryrheanne Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also just got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes this past Thursday. I am waiting on a call from a dietician. I was in a bad mood the day I found out I had diabetes. The doctor put me on 500 mg of metformin. I am on day 3 of the meds with no side effects. For me I wasn’t surprised because I had been diagnosed with pre diabetes years ago. Recently I reached my highest weight at 300 lbs. I have been living a seditary life for two years. I am working on becoming more active. In 2017 I walked faithfully 4km per day. I am a smoker and have asthma so I doubt with my breathing troubles that Now I couldn’t walk very far. It’s normal to feel a bit depressed about getting diabetes. Just focus on cutting out sugar and bread or anything white like potatoes. Sweet potatoes are ok. I wish you well with your new journey.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    No need to panic! There’s a learning curve but you got this. I was morbidly obese with an a1c of 11 when I was diagnosed, and I’m now headed into my fourth year at a normal BMI with a1c consistently under 5.

It’s good that you are looking stuff up on your own, since doctors vary in how they treat diabetes and every diabetic is at a different point in their disease. My advice going in to a first appointment would be, don’t be afraid of metformin (it’s an appetite suppressant for some people in addition to its other effects) but ask if you can avoid other medication until you have tried weight loss and diet for six months. Ask to talk to a nutritionist, and if they have a meeting for new diabetics to learn about the disease go for it.

What has worked for me is called “eating to the meter.” Not all doctors will recommend blood glucose testing unless you are in insulin, and many will recommend testing only once per day, in the morning. That’s not the most useful way to test. A fasted morning test tells you how you are doing, but not what to do about it. Instead, test after every meal and learn how different foods affect you. If your insurance won’t cover this, buy an inexpensive meter with inexpensive strips using your own money.

Weigh and log all your food until you learn what a portion looks like and how your body reacts to it. I don’t eat low carb. Instead, I eat the number of carbs my body can handle, based on my activity level. Different diabetics react differently to the same foods. For example, I have friends who get spikes from oranges and tomatoes. I don’t, but I do get spikes from even a tiny amount of bread or rice. @joryrheanne mentioned sweet potatoes as being “okay” compared to regular potatoes, which isn’t really valid - sweet potatoes have extra nutritional value from vitamin A, but too large a portion will spike you, just like any other carb, and white potatoes have a ton of fiber, vitamin c, and are filling. You have to learn how much of each your own body can handle. No doctor is going to tell you this because it is unique to your own body. But if you test, you don’t have to guess, you can see for yourself how your body reacts and learn what to do about it.

Getting the weight off is important and for many people even 5 to 10% of bodyweight lost will greatly improve glucose metabolism. The other thing which is important is exercise. Time cardio exercise so that it uses the glucose in your bloodstream following a meal - studies have found, for example, that three ten minute walks following meals are more effective than one thirty minute walk. Strength exercise improves insulin sensitivity, so you should be doing strength as well.

• joryrheanne
    joryrheanne Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    studies have found, for example, that three ten minute walks following meals are more effective than one thirty minute walk. Strength exercise improves insulin sensitivity, so you should be doing strength as well.

That’s nice to know. Thanks for sharing. I’m looking forward to the gym reopening so that I can do strength training again. 😊
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    My advice would be to seek holistic practitioners (ie holistic nutritionist, naturopath) in addition to talking to your doctor.

Type 2 diabetes is primarily linked to things within your control.

Try not to get lost in your feelings, and seek out a counsellor if you feel that would help you get unstuck and process things.

Do some research, and always seek answers, always. This is an exciting opportunity for you to learn more! (Especially around how to support your body with quality, whole food nutrients!)

You're amazing and whole, and your body is just crying for some attention. Listen, and give it some love! You're gonna be fine.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as type 2 in March. I'm still learning. However in that short period of time I have gotten my fasting numbers down from the mid 200s to somewhere in the 110-120 range and have lost 27 lbs. I am on Metformin as well. I put off getting additional blood work done - part fear and part procrastination. But I finally did and received my blood result tests yesterday. My A1C is a 6.3 and have to schedule another appointment with my doctor. For me it is a matter of trial and error. I am experimenting with new recipes and figuring out what works for my body. I do best when I weigh a log all my foods. I track my activity with Fitbit and have added structured workouts into my routine.

I agree with everything everyone else has already mentioned.

Please don't feel shameful and guilty. I discovered harboring on those feelings won't get you anywhere. I suggest focusing on taking a deep breath then do what you need to to get your life back on track. Being that you are here and posting is a great step in the right direction. I am proud of you! My advice would be create a list of goals that you want to achieve. Then create mini goals to help you achieve those main goals. I have found focusing on the mini goals make your main goals less overwhelming. Embrace the good along with bad days, they happen to everyone. Don't let your bad days get you down, pick yourself up the next day and try again.

Remember, you are not alone! Feel free to add me if you would like a friend.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    There are diabetes classes that you can go to. I attended a few with my mom. At that time, she had Medicare (US health insurance for those 65+) and they were free for her. I would guess, but do not know, that this would be true for some/all other insurances. Also, they may be available through the American Diabetes Association. They were very helpful in keeping her on track, diet-wise. I helped my mom figure out her diet and it was doable. Ask your doctor about the classes. Good luck.
  • RadiantAmethyst
    RadiantAmethyst Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just checking back in - thank you so, so much for the kind words and advice!

I just had my first diabetes and nutrition class on Friday, and found it very helpful - and I am happy to report that I have managed to get my blood glucose levels to start dropping already, as well as shedding some weight as I go. I'm so glad to have such a supportive community - thank you!!