When exercising how long to see llbs start coming off

Options
Doing over 10,000 steps a day, Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and other hiit classes. On 1200 calories. Stayed the same this week. I know I'm building muscle

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Doing over 10,000 steps a day, Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and other hiit classes. On 1200 calories. Stayed the same this week. I know I'm building muscle

New exercise water retention. I GAINED seven pounds when I started weight lifting. Patience!

Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • Ara_the_halfelven
    Ara_the_halfelven Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with yirara that these activities don't build muscle, you need to do strength training with progressive overload. As for why you're not losing weight, the most likely reason is that you are eating more calories than you think you are. Its easily done, but you can't outrun a poor diet.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    You lose weight in the kitchen.
    You gain muscle with exercise — more specifically resistance training.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I can burn an extra 500-1500kcals per day through cardio. Does that help me lose weight? I've decided the answer is no, for the following reason:

I generally go into about a 25% calorie deficit when I need to cut a few pounds. I do it a few times a year, in fact. Yes, I burn extra calories when I work out, but I eat those calories back so I'm still in about a 25% calorie deficit overall. In fact, when I go big one day (e.g., a 6 hour hike), my biggest challenge is not to overeat as it makes me extra hungry!

Doing the exercise helps in many ways, better mental health being just one of the payoffs. But, it doesn't really help you lose weight. That comes purely from your calorie deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Water retention from new exercise.

Also, are you accounting for exercise with more calories? 1200 calories is a baseline aggressive calorie target that also assumes no exercise...all of that exercise combined with an already steep calorie deficit is going to be a huge stress on your body and raise cortisol levels which can also impede weight loss. It can, and usually ultimately does result in greater fatigue day to day where you end up moving less in general as your body tries to conserve energy (calories) too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Diet and exercise using the energy balance model has a 99% failure rate.

You can't outrun a bad diet.

What data is this statement based on?