Belly dance!

Options
2»

Replies

• xylia1225
    xylia1225 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well, I've stuck with it. In fact, I have my class tonight! I've been dancing for almost seven months now. I really enjoy it. I am still finding the feet to be the most challenging part, but I get there with practice. I think my background with pole and horseback riding has helped because the hip movements come very naturally to me. Undulations have been more of a challenge since I don't have a very flexible spine, but I can make them work. We are starting to get in to layering now, so my brain is getting more of a workout than my body, but I'm having a great time!

Ooh I love layering. It's so challenging but so satisfying when you get it right.

For undulations, since you don't have a lot of mobility in your spine, try working on doing belly rolls with it. It will make it look bigger while being gentle on your spine, since the undulation will come from your abs :)
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi. Fellow dancer here. What style are you learning? Egyptian? Turkish? Tribal?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My instructor says we are learning mostly Egyptian, but with bits of ATS thrown in here and there.
  • xylia1225
    xylia1225 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested, I created a group for belly dancers: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/122040-belly-dancers-unite

A couple already existed but they seemed to be pretty dead :neutral:
  • tigermom82
    tigermom82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, who are you taking classes from at Dauntless? I used to take with Kim Larkspur in the Woodlands. She is awesome so if you have a chance to take classes with her, I highly recommend it!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    tigermom82 wrote: »
    Hi, who are you taking classes from at Dauntless? I used to take with Kim Larkspur in the Woodlands. She is awesome so if you have a chance to take classes with her, I highly recommend it!

Kim is a beautiful dancer! I have seen her perform a few times and she is mesmerizing. My instructor is her partner Anne, also an amazing dancer! Unfortunately, Dauntless took some damage in Harvey, so I have not been able to shimmy for almost four weeks now. :cry:
  • DancingOrchid
    DancingOrchid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been taking online lessons for some time, though not consistently, so I'm still rough around the edges. What I like to do is pick which moves I wanna do for that day, watch some tutorial videos for them & go along, then practice each move to my own music-- usually 80's or 90's rock or pop. Makes it more fun for me that way! Lol