Before you changed your eating style

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
edited May 2021 in Food and Nutrition
What foods were you eating then that you realize now you didn't even like that much?

I'd have to say rice. I used to shovel all those carbs in even though that was something I could've easily said no to. :/

And what foods were never in your diet that you now eat and realize you really enjoy?

Plain non-fat yogurt. I always needed the full fat fruit flavored high calorie yogurts. I do doctor it up with a little sugar free syrup but I eat it every day.
Another would be carrots and hummus. I have that every day as well.

Replies

• metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I really like all food, I think! 😅 I had never really eaten foods except good ones (like, no processed foods). I am lucky to never have had to clean up my diet. Right now I really like eating over-easy eggs after a workout.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    What foods were you eating then that you realize now you didn't even like that much?

I'm still eating pretty much the same foods I was before, just more appropriate portions. But I would say that I've cut down the alcohol, especially wine. I don't drink much alcohol anyway, but I used to drink wine at family dinners and dinners with friends. After realizing how many calories are in wine, which is a drink I don't even particularly enjoy, I almost always refuse wine now.

I've cut down on some other foods too, not because I don't like them but because I don't like them enough for the calories they contain. Some sausages for example (black and white pudding).
    And what foods were never in your diet that you now eat and realize you really enjoy?

My food preferences were already pretty broad to start with. I eat a lot more yogurt now though, after I realized my protein intake was low. I don't like yogurt, especially plain yogurt, but it's palatable with flavored protein powder and fruit. No truly new foods.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I have learned to like a few things because they are easy to prepare and control my hunger well. I have learned to be pickier when things are high calorie and they are not up to my standards (cold french fries, overcooked steak, etc.). I have also learned to be pickier when something just doesn't work for me anymore. I have learned that I do not like funnel cake anymore.

I mostly eat like I did before but there are a few things that have gone by the wayside. I think that is true of life whether you are trying to be mindful of what you eat or not.. You outgrow some things and find you like others.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It's a really good question. I've totally given up breakfast cereals and now just eat oats, hot or cold.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I really don't enjoy mass-produced candy like M&Ms or Milky Ways, and I prefer artisan dark chocolate. In general, most desserts are too sweet for me now, and if I'm having cake or something it has to be a very small piece or I feel sick.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    The only two substantial changes to my diet are that I don't eat out everyday for lunch like I used to (pretty rare now) and I'm way better about getting in my veggies. I always liked them, but my veggie sides were always pretty small, and they're much larger now. I'm also much better with portions/servings...I never used to even think twice about going back for seconds.

I always have eaten relatively well and I like most things and have always been open to trying new foods and whatnot, so there's not really anything that comes to mind that I eat now but didn't really eat then. Really, when it comes down to it, most of my problems weight wise were really a lack of activity...same thing happens now...when my activity drops, my weight starts to creep (like winter)...when I'm active, which I am most of the year, and don't really have much issue managing my weight at all.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I would say that I do eat things like bread, rice, and pasta less often because I prioritize other calories. What really changed for me is the mindless munching. I was someone that would almost always take food if it was available in a work or social situation and now that's a much more rare thing for me because I'm pre-logging my days and I'll only adjust if something looks particularly delicious.

Yes, this sounds like me too. And after the first couple of times I opted out I quit feeling weird about it - nobody noticed I didn't eat it and I didn't feel like I was missing out.

I do really like bread, but I am particular about what kind if I'm going to "spend" my calories on it. Rice and pasta take up a much smaller proportion of my meals than they used to, and I've upped other vegetables instead to make up some of that bulk. I think I treat rice and pasta as more functional, structural foods than foods I eat because I like them, if that makes sense.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Sugary drinks were one of the easiest things for me to "give up." I stopped drinking soda and coffee/tea with sugar in it, switching to plain water, black coffee/tea, and more recently, flavored seltzer (although I don't care for the hard seltzer).
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Like others mentioned, it's more about what I choose to eat and if I deem it "worth" the calories. Some of this comes down to macros too, like pizza or any pasta dish little to no protein on it - hard pass. It took years but I've gone from drinking my coffee pretty light and sweet to black as well.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would say that I do eat things like bread, rice, and pasta less often because I prioritize other calories. What really changed for me is the mindless munching. I was someone that would almost always take food if it was available in a work or social situation and now that's a much more rare thing for me because I'm pre-logging my days and I'll only adjust if something looks particularly delicious.

Yes, this sounds like me too. And after the first couple of times I opted out I quit feeling weird about it - nobody noticed I didn't eat it and I didn't feel like I was missing out.

I do really like bread, but I am particular about what kind if I'm going to "spend" my calories on it. Rice and pasta take up a much smaller proportion of my meals than they used to, and I've upped other vegetables instead to make up some of that bulk. I think I treat rice and pasta as more functional, structural foods than foods I eat because I like them, if that makes sense.

Yeah, other than some specifically dysfunctional family or social situations, nobody is really paying attention to if or how much other people are eating. 99% of the time you can just say "No thanks" to offered food and it's no big deal.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,481 Member
    Options
    Cokes. That first taste of a freshly opened can was like crack.

Now I don’t even like it any more.

M&Ms. used to go thru several pounds a week. Now when I have them they just taste gross and waxy. Yet, still hard to find the off switch. Ladies, when you host bunco, please. don’t. put. M&Ms. on. the table.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    French fries and potato chips. I mean, I still like them ok, but I'm definitely choosy. I find most french fries are just not that good. During my very first phase of my elimination diet, I actually could have potato chips, as long as they were cooked in sunflower or avocado oil and just had salt. Since I couldn't eat many things at all, I got some and ate some...but just didn't find them all that enjoyable.

Also, I used to think I liked all kinds of chocolate, but now I realize the cheaper chocolates just aren't all that good. I agree about the regular M & M's, but I used to have a hard time controlling myself around the peanut butter ones. I thought I used to love Peanut butter Snickers, but I bought some because they were on clearance and allowed myself to have one. It just wasn't as good as I remembered.

I used to buy those "light" Yoplaits when doing stuff like WW, but never really liked them and would get sick of them. Now, I like my Fage 2% plain with some fruit and maybe a drizzle of honey, or even light Hershey's syrup.
  • raeannhuf
    raeannhuf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt for me . I eat it almost every day, I mix it plain into dressings and dips. Never been a huge vegetable fan, just realized I was cooking the heck out of them. Lol. I love brussel sprouts, asparagus, zucchini now! Found out everything doesnt have to have cheese on it to taste good.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm not a low carb eater, but soooo many forms of bread come to mind! I realize I ate bread to be "polite" or because I perceived it as "going with" a meal. I still like (and eat) sandwiches, pizza, etc. But I never eat the bread that comes before/with the meal in a restaurant, breadsticks, etc. I don't really care for most muffins, biscuits, bagels, etc. So I don't eat them anymore.

Also not a fan of "healthy" cereals. I used to eat cereal for breakfast most days and chose so many cereals I thought were healthy like shredded wheat, bran flakes, grape nuts and the like. But I never LIKED any of them and basically dreaded eating them at all! Now I actually just eat sugary kid cereal once in awhile (because i like it! And it fits my calories) and the rest of the time for breakfast I'd rather have eggs, oatmeal, fruit, etc.

Lastly, juice. Never cared for it. Would much prefer whole fruit or kombucha.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    raeannhuf wrote: »
    Greek yogurt for me . I eat it almost every day, I mix it plain into dressings and dips. Never been a huge vegetable fan, just realized I was cooking the heck out of them. Lol. I love brussel sprouts, asparagus, zucchini now! Found out everything doesnt have to have cheese on it to taste good.

I agree on the veggies!

Also your post brought to mind a substitute in our home that I've loved. Me and my husband like to make crepes every month or two as a weekend brunch. We always filled them with a mixture of sugar, vanilla, cream cheese & milk blended together. But to fit a lower fat diet for my husband, we started doing the same crepes (plain fruit on top) filled with vanilla Greek yogurt and it's SO good. We barely miss the cream cheese filling.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I now don't waste my calories on sub-par baked goods/sweets. There are too many calories in them to be underwhelmed. Also, I now drink a protein shake or eat greek yogurt every day to help up the protein count which I am now mindful of.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I haven't really changed my eating style - just reduced portion sizes, reduced some ' empty snacking ' and eating some things less often.

Only thing I changed entirely was swapping sugar sodas to diet version.
  • tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I love carbs so all the carbs - bread, rice, potatoes, - and my portions were HUGE. And salt - crisps, chips, crackers - crunchy and salty is the perfect combination.

I now prioritse protein over carbs. I was never under on my daily requirement of protein but I exceed it now. I design my meal plan by putting my protein macros first and then building my carbs and fat around them. As a plant based eater I used to only eat whole foods now I incorporate high protein mock meats at one meal a day and find that the extra protein keeps me satisfied and less likely to carb overload or binge.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Over the years (and decades):

No more:
    • prepacked cookies like Oreos. They are just not appetizing anymore.
    • Coca Cola - 30 years ago I drank a 2 liter bottle a day. Yuck !
    • Breakfast cereals. I eat my daily dose of oatmeal for about 20 years now.
    • Potato chips or others like cheetos. The only prepacked salty snack I still can't resist are nuts.
    • Items with cheap chocolate covering or icing
    • Since last year: cow milk

Replaced with:
    • 0% greek yoghurt
    • hummus
    • soy milk
    • occasional treat of expertly baked french fries at the chip shop, instead of weekly
    • occasional treat of fresh pastry from the artisan bakery
    • one square of excellent quality chocolate a day

When typing my list I realized I've mainly swapped quantity for quality.