PCOS / Diabetic Help

Hi there,

I am trying to find others with PCOS that have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes due to insulin resistance.

I have been on Metformin and Actos for nearly two years, but my A1C is still high. My next step will be insulin shots if I can't get my sugar levels lowered.

Does anyone have any advise or maybe even home remedies to help lower sugar levels on top of the medication/ diet?

I have been eating low carb on and off since I was diagnosed, and just this week I am starting intermittent fasting.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Can you get an appointment with an registered dietitian?
  • lauransackett18
    lauransackett18 Posts: 3 Member
    Yes, I'm actually seeing a dietitian next Wednesday. My NP referred me the last time i had my blood work done. I think I'll have 13 appointments with her.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Good to hear.
  • lovinlife3349
    lovinlife3349 Posts: 1 Member
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance but not actually diabetes. However, weight has always been an issue. I have been taking Saxenda and it’s the only thing that has helped me with weight loss. I don’t know if you need to lose weight, but this drug was originally developed for people with diabetes due to insulin resistance and helps that as well. Might be worth asking about it. It’s expensive but if prescribed for diabetes, most insurance will cover it.
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,543 Member
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance. My hubby has T2 diabetes (though he is normal weight).
    I couldn't tolerate the side effects of metformin and it didn't improve my A1C as expected, so I came off it and am currently unmedicated for insulin resistance - though I take inositol as a supplement.
    I worked with a dietician who is a credentialled diabetes educator, she advocated against low-carb, gluten-free, intermittent fasting, keto, all of those fad-type things and instead recommended low-GI foods (which are not necessarily low carb). Have a look into the glycemic index and glycemic load, I think the science behind it is fascinating and absolutely makes sense. I recommend looking at the CSIRO materials and the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet (the CSIRO is the Australian scientific research body, they do some amazing work).

Hubby took metformin for several months after diagnosis and at first it was working well for him, but after a while he noticed some side effects like absolute lethargy, which took a while to kind of pin down to being related to the medication. He requested his GP to change him to something else, and there was instantly relief for him in terms of energy (and for me, since he actually gets stuff done around the house now!). So don't be afraid to ask for a different medication if what you're taking isn't working either clinically or in how you feel. There are a bunch of different diabetes medications you can take, which all work differently in the body, and what works for other people just like you might not work for you.

Another side note - my Dad is also T2 diabetic, he takes Janumet but he also read a study some time ago about Vitamin C helping to stabilise blood sugar levels. He takes Vitamin C several times a day and his blood sugar always reads within a really small range, whether he's fasted or has just eaten makes little difference. I don't have a link to the study but he did show it to me one day, it would be work reading up on this as well.

Best of luck with it all!
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Would wearing a cgm- even for weeks be an option? Just to see what foods cause your sugars to go high and give you a better idea of how to tailor your diet.
  • Vjmikesell
    Vjmikesell Posts: 36 Member
    You are most likely low on Vitamin D (most of the population is) take 5000 iu daily along with a good multivitamin that has magnesium.

Weight loss dramatically improves PCOS symptoms. While it’s much more difficult to lose weight with PCOS, it’s not impossible. While weight loss is all about calories in versus calories out, when you have PCOS and diabetes, the type of foods you eat for nutrition matters. Talk to your doctor about a low carb, no added sugar added lifestyle change