100 day challenge

2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Why did you eat so little @derbygraham Congratulations, you probably lost a lot of muscle mass by going on a crash diet. This is not a good example of healthy weight loss.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Why did you eat so little @derbygraham Congratulations, you probably lost a lot of muscle mass by going on a crash diet. This is not a good example of healthy weight loss.

He lost 25 pounds in 100 days, which works out to less than 2 pounds per week. Some of that may have also been bloat from alcohol and if he reacts to gluten.

Kind of harsh to call it a "crash diet" and be so sarcastic about it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    crb426 wrote: »

He lost 25 pounds in 100 days, which works out to less than 2 pounds per week. Some of that may have also been bloat from alcohol and if he reacts to gluten.

He's been undereating. 1500 is considered to be safe for small and old men. TO is neither small nor old. He lost a lot of weight in a very short time by undereating. I don't understand his comment on workout, but if he's not eaten those calories back then he's undereaten even more. So tell me again why you think it's a good idea to undereat, and promote it here.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    edited May 2021
    crb426 wrote: »

He's been undereating. 1500 is considered to be safe for small and old men. TO is neither small nor old. He lost a lot of weight in a very short time by undereating. I don't understand his comment on workout, but if he's not eaten those calories back then he's undereaten even more. So tell me again why you think it's a good idea to undereat, and promote it here.

Geez, I'm just saying you are being quite dramatic and rude about it. If he is losing on average 1.75 pounds per week then it is a bit aggressive, I agree with that, but it's not completely unreasonable. He's probably actually eating more than 1500 calories a day to get that rate of loss.

ETA: I don't think he old us how tall he is or how old he is.
  • derbygraham
    derbygraham Posts: 47 Member
    Cricky !!!! Sorry I didn't mean to start an argument. I was just happy to finish my project and I wanted to share my happiness. Perhaps pass on somethings I learnt ??

To address the queries. I did not count exercise in my challenge. Losing weight is all about calorie intake I would suggest, I feel exercise simply helps you reach your goal faster. Am I old and small ? Age is relative. To my nephews and nieces I am old. To my daughter I am old. To my wife, I am old. *kitten* it, I am old to everyone except my mum. To my mum ? She only says I act like an old man. In short, you can't win. Short ? I am 184 cm.

1500 calories is it a crash diet ?? I would argue not. I was eating all the food I like, chips (french fries), pizza, Cake, rice etc. I simply limited the amount.

I did encounter a weird situation, I lost my appetite. Some days I would actually be taking in a lot fewer calories than was recommended. Perhaps due to old age ? Perhaps I have a health problem ? My next message will be from beyond the grave :):):)
  • Tigg_
    Tigg_ Posts: 43 Member
    Congratulations on completing your challenge and your weight loss achieved :)
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    Well done completing your challenge
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    I agree 1500 calories is probably too low.

HOWEVER - always go by actual results, not how many calories you are eating on paper

Your weight loss rate (1.75 lb per week) was at the upper end of Ok - but still ok

That suggests to me you were probably eating more than 1500 calories - logging is not accurate.

but that does not matter - what matters is results, not on paper calculations or the process to get there. The process is only a means to an end.

Your next challenge is maitenance - I suggest you come to the maitenance section of the forum - also there is a challenge section for those who like short term challenges like this - for some people that sort of thing is quite motivating - so you could join or start a challenge in there.

Best of luck.
  • TheWaistBasket
    TheWaistBasket Posts: 56 Member
    Well done! Fantastic, be proud of yourself.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,581 Member
    edited May 2021
    So here is your next 100 day challenge, and you absolutely HAVE to make it past day 15 even if in the past this hasn't worked :wink:

During the drought and famine that befell your corner of the universe, your body protected your ability to function by suppressing your hunger cues.

The seed crops have matured, spring has arrived, the bunnies have multiplied and the famine has been lifted. And your hormones (and returning hunger) will soon guide you to happy regain. UNLESS

Unless you manage to contain things.

So your next 100 day challenge is to... LOG MORE DILIGENTLY than you even did during your first hundred days and stay within 10% of your calories the vast majority of your time.

Differentiate between initial weight gain due to more food in processing through your body, between gain due to sodium or exercise... and between a persistent increase that indicates an over-shooting of your caloric balance on a systemic basis.

IF at the end of 100 days you are within +/- 5lbs of your current trend... then I would consider it a victory and continue to formulate goals from there....

Best of luck.
  • derbygraham
    derbygraham Posts: 47 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    So here is your next 100 day challenge, and you absolutely HAVE to make it past

So your next 100 day challenge is to... LOG MORE DILIGENTLY than you even did during your first hundred days and stay within 10% of your calories the vast majority of your time.

Differentiate between initial weight gain due to more food in processing through your body, between gain due to sodium or exercise... and between a persistent increase that indicates an over-shooting of your caloric balance on a systemic basis.

IF at the end of 100 days you are within +/- 5lbs of your current trend... then I would consider it a victory and continue to formulate goals from there....

Best of luck.

Great advise, thanks :)
    I am in day 111 now and feel more compelled to maintain my weight at this level. One benefit I have found, I want to chisel out a six pack. The good thing about losing weight is you can see the immediate effects of exercise. Before,any effects of sits ups etc would be hidden underneaths layers of blubber :)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Wow! Thats fantastic!

Enjoy your first beer..it will taste the best.