Tips for going dairy free

2»

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    There are lots of dairy free alternatives to try. Worth noting that not all of them are equal so if you don't like the first one try a different brand.
    I thought I hated coconut yoghurt for months before I tried a different one!

I often use coconut oil as a butter replacement for cooking, oat milk is my personal preference, applewood vegan cheese is good. I chuck peanut butter powder into porridge and stuff to add protein.

I've tried Silk's, Riveria, Yoso and President's choice brand....ick to say the least. I've always really, really wanted to like coconut yogurt...I'm sure the ones that are loaded with sugar and multiple things taste good - but that's not what I'd want either.
    Which one do you prefer ?(mind you - you probably don't live in my country....Canada)

I don't know if you have the "So Delicious" brand, but that's the one that I like best.

Thanks - we do have that brand - I've yet only seen it in their ice 'cream' but maybe it's selling in other stores. Worth a try😉
  • VonHocker08
    VonHocker08 Posts: 26 Member
    I’ve had to do this for two of my babies.

It helps if you are sure to eat plenty of fat throughout the day it will keep your supply up and help you not crave dairy. So like avocado, nuts and seeds and cook in healthy fats like avocado oil or coconut oil.

I use cashew milk in things I don’t prefer the taste. My favorite alternative milk to actually drink is coconut.

Read labels, eat plenty of fat, and remember it’s worth it. 💕💕💕
  • VonHocker08
    VonHocker08 Posts: 26 Member
    Oh and look up a recipe for paleo dump ranch, it’s delicious and dairy free.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2021
    Just a few more tips. There's a brand of canned Coconut milks called Nature's Charm. They have Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk, Coconut Evaporated Milk and Coconut Whipping Cream. Whole Foods, Sprouts have it (and some other places too).

Come the Holidays or baking sweets, these are fantastic alternatives for making pies or fudge. I've used them all quite a bit. The Evaporated milk is great to have around as a staple.

My wife told my daughter she was craving a fruit tart for Mother's Day (I'm Celiac and she's allergic to Cow Dairy). Making the custard filling was quite the challenge. I ended up using the Nature's Charm Evap (Coconut) Milk and Arrowroot Starch and it turned out really nice.

The whipping cream is fantastic if you ever want to make your own non dairy ice cream too!
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    I agree about the So Delicious brand of coconut yogurt. For me the Vanilla (which comes in the larger size) with added fruit worked pretty well as it had less sugar than the flavored ones. The plain flavor was a little too plain for my taste even though I don't have much of a sweet tooth.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Really depends on your faves.

I was never a big milk drinker and I never cooked with milk except occasionally in baking, so switching to oat or soy milk wasn't a big deal for me.

A bigger deal was cheese. I like nutritional yeast in casseroles, soups, and other dishes where the cheese isn't really visible. And it's cheap!

I like the Kroger brand Simple Truth cheese alternatives for a grilled cheeze or other dish where I want that visible slice, and daiya shreds for pizzas. Since these products are fairly expensive compared to the real cheese they replaced, I just don't eat as many of those sandwiches and pizzas any more

• Rimtimtim
    Rimtimtim Posts: 21 Member
    for milk, go for fortified versions, so added b12, iodine, calcium vitamin d.

soy milk has more protein and nutrients in general.

personally i prefer oat milk in coffee, it gives a nice rounded flavour.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    There are a lot of plant based" dairy" products out there. I went through the same situation with my daughter, and the plant based worked great. If you want to keep close the same protein intake as real dairy, use soy milk products.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    There are lots of dairy free alternatives to try. Worth noting that not all of them are equal so if you don't like the first one try a different brand.
    I thought I hated coconut yoghurt for months before I tried a different one!

I often use coconut oil as a butter replacement for cooking, oat milk is my personal preference, applewood vegan cheese is good. I chuck peanut butter powder into porridge and stuff to add protein.

I've tried Silk's, Riveria, Yoso and President's choice brand....ick to say the least. I've always really, really wanted to like coconut yogurt...I'm sure the ones that are loaded with sugar and multiple things taste good - but that's not what I'd want either.
    Which one do you prefer ?(mind you - you probably don't live in my country....Canada)

I'm in the UK, it sounds like you have access to more brands than I do!

Koko is the one I like, they recently started doing a Greek style one which is good.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Just one thing I picked up recently that applies to this thread. I just learned that Nopal, commonly known in the SW as prickly pear cactus, are SUPER high in calcium. My daughter, who is dairy free, is now taking a Nopal supplement. It's also great for blood sugar, blood pressure, even higher in Nitric Oxide than beets. Great fiber too. Real earthy taste though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Also read your soups and pretty much all canned food because dairy will be hidden in there unless the label lists vegan

Canned tomatoes, beans, and vegetables rarely contain dairy even if they're not specifically labeled.

This is true but I've learned the hard way that it's better to be over cautious than have a sick kid. My daughter is dairy intolerant. We find dairy in nearly every canned meal such as soup, chilli, ravioli and sauces even tomato based. We have encountered dairy in mixed canned products containing vegetables and beans to. Some stuff is fine like corn, green beans, pinto beans, chilli beans or black beans by themselves but different brands mean different possible ingredients so checking never hurts.

I have no doubt this is true for meals by conventional brands, but there are brands like Amy's that have dozens of vegan choices:

https://www.amys.com/our-foods?vegan=1&items=24

The larger supermarkets near me have Amy's products available in their canned, soup, frozen, and health food sections.