Measuring frozen yogurt at a froyo bar

So, 1/2c (4 oz) has 100 calories. The scale at the bar said it was about 5.5 ounces. Should I record it as 137 calories (about 25 cal/ounce, 5.5 ounces) or is it another way to measure? I'm confused about weight vs capacity.

Replies

• The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Yes, I would use the weight of 5.5oz to calculate the calories. Weight is always the most accurate measurement when it comes to food.
  • According to the nutrition information of a popular frozen yogurt company (Cherry Berry), 4 fluid ounces (volume) of frozen yogurt weighs 89 grams which is equal to 3.139 ounces (weight).

3.139 oz / 4 fl oz = 0.7848 oz/fl oz (also g/ml)

The density of frozen yogurt (0.785 g/ml) is lower than that of freezing water (1.0 g/ml) due to air incorporated in the mixing process, so a weight of 5.5 oz of yogurt will have a volume of greater than 5.5 fl oz. To find the volume, divide the weight by the density of frozen yogurt (0.785 oz/fl oz), which gives you 5.5 oz/ 0.785 oz/fl oz = 7.01 fluid ounces. Multiply this by 25 to get the calories, and you wind up with:
    7.01 fl oz * 25 Cal/fl oz = 175 Cal.

References:
    http://cherryberrybranson.com/sites/cherryberrybranson.com/files/Nutritional_Spreadsheet_October_2013.jpg
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-density-specific-weight-d_595.html
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Well it totally depends whether the ounces they are referring to are fluid ounces or weigh ounces. It sounds like it's fluid ounces, so yeah, I'd do what the person before me said.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    I don't worry so much about accuracy at the frozen yogurt place because I tend to only have it on days when I anticipate going way over and just count it as 400-500 calories with toppings. Mine is usually a reasonable serving of yogurt and a mammoth serving of cookie crisp, though.

My husband usually only gets the fresh fruit and puts it in a separate cup than the yogurt, has the tech weigh them separately, and then does a calculation based on 28 grams per ounce to make his calculation.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    According to the nutrition information of a popular frozen yogurt company (Cherry Berry), 4 fluid ounces (volume) of frozen yogurt weighs 89 grams which is equal to 3.139 ounces (weight).

3.139 oz / 4 fl oz = 0.7848 oz/fl oz (also g/ml)

The density of frozen yogurt (0.785 g/ml) is lower than that of freezing water (1.0 g/ml) due to air incorporated in the mixing process, so a weight of 5.5 oz of yogurt will have a volume of greater than 5.5 fl oz. To find the volume, divide the weight by the density of frozen yogurt (0.785 oz/fl oz), which gives you 5.5 oz/ 0.785 oz/fl oz = 7.01 fluid ounces. Multiply this by 25 to get the calories, and you wind up with:

calvin-explode_zps07b48dd1.jpg
  • hansdaniel02
    hansdaniel02 Posts: 1 Member

If we are talking about density of yogurt or any other fluid i recommend to look here: https://amazingconverter.com/density-converter/density-of-water-lb-ft3